Ended Senior Finance Officer
DIVISION / DEPARTMENT / LOCATION: Sana’a - Yemen
JOB FAMILY: Finance
SALARY: As per salary scale
LEVEL: National, Fixed Team D 1
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering.
JOB PURPOSE: To work closely with the Country Finance Manager on day-to- day management of financial matters of Oxfam Country Program, to provide support to the Finance Manager on maintaining Financial and Business Controls, to provide support in the effective and efficient cash-flow management for Yemen Country Program, to facilitate processes leading to transfer of funds to Financial Services Providers (FSP) for Oxfam’s Cash Transfer Programs (CTP), to ensure that financial transactions uploaded into the PeopleSoft comply with the Oxfam GB accounting policies and procedures, to ensure that all offices in Yemen follow the month-end / quarter-end / year-end procedures thoroughly, and to ensure that all offices in Yemen submit month-end / quarter-end / year- end returns, registers and reconciliations to the Country Office for review, consolidation, and sign off in a timely manner.
REPORTING LINES: Post holder reports to Country Finance Manager
Staff reporting to this post: One finance Assistant
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: None
• In charge of month-end / quarter-end / year-end documentation gathering and consolidation processes.
• Contributes to cash-flow planning and transfer of funds.
• The role requires ability to solve problems, which usually have established solution.
• Provides operational financial advice to program team.
• Contributes to specific program tasks.
• The position requires the person’s ability to manage their own time to achieve team objectives and find solution to problems.
• Contributes to targets and strategies within the department and possibly within the division; influences policies.
• Produces reviewed procedures.
• Problems are diverse, complex and non-routine, varying between deployments.
• The role requires the ability to analyse and communicate complex information at a simpler level to non-finance staff.
Planning & Reporting:
• Contributes to the effective and efficient cash-flow planning and management for the Country Programme, and ensures facilitating timely and secure transfer of funds to meet program needs, liaises with Field Senior Finance Officers as required to ensure field offices have adequate funds to implement their programs.
• Prepares monthly top-up requests for onward submission to HQ/OI in a timely manner.
• Receives and consolidates monthly / quarterly /year-end accounts returns and balance sheet reconciliations for the Country Program. Identifies and explains significant / extraordinary movements in asset and liability accounts, and follows appropriate course of action to adjust any outstanding balances.
• Co-ordinates the financial year-end processes and responsible for the consolidation of the year-end returns and collection of the supporting documentation for the Country Program.
• Maintains and updates list of the bank signatories for all field offices and tracks changes ie additions and deletions of signatories.
• Focal point person for field offices on opening and closing of bank accounts, ensuring that all bank mandates are updated and archived.
• Update all offices Delegation of Authority lists as and when required.
Transaction Processing & Compliance:
• Help in Review and verifie the integrity of the accounting entries in the cash/bankbooks submitted by the Country and Field Offices before posting into PeopleSoft.
• Ensures correct coding of income and expenditure in Oxfam’s accounting system, PeopleSoft.
• Monitors and reconciles pension deductions, EOC, Medical Levy contributions
• In coordination with SFO- Cash and Bank, ensures transfer of funds to Financial Services Providers (FSP) for Oxfam’s Cash Transfer Programs (CTP).
• Provides the necessary checks and balances to ensure that money is spent effectively, efficiently and in line with donor requirements.
• Ensures Oxfam complies with Yearly Statutory financial auditing requirements initiated from HQ/OI and institutional donors e.g. DFID and EC/EU/ECHO, including appropriate implementation of recommendations stated in the management letter.
• Provides support to the CFM on Oxfam Internal Audit.
• Works along with the internal and external auditors to provide necessary documents for fulfilling their audit field work.
Policies and Procedures
• Provides support to the CFM on ensuring that the established systems, policies, procedures and routines are properly understood and undertaken by all staff.
• Provides training on financial policies/procedures and system to relevant staff and ensures effective communication of new policies/procedures to all staff.
• Proactively reviews, identifies, and makes recommendations regarding Finance policies and procedures where they are deemed not be fit for purpose in specific contexts in Yemen.
• Be the link between field finance and country finance team in term of CTP, partner’s payments, internal and external audits etc.
• Works in close collaboration with other Oxfam teams on all aspects of the emergency response as required.
• Ensures that Oxfam’s commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is upheld, through reference to the Sphere Project, Humanitarian Charter Minimum Standards, the NGO Code of Conduct, and other relevant tools.
• Other tasks as requested to contribute to effective and efficient operation of the Finance Department.
• Visits Oxfam’s Field Offices as and when required.
• Participates actively in Oxfam’s finance forums, networks and teams.
• Cover for field offices SFOs when and as required.
• Assist Programme Team in budget preparation for New Donor proposal, OPAL phasing etc.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
• University degree in a finance related subject or professional accountancy qualifications.
• Significant experience in auditing and compliance a minimum of 4 years.
• Strong knowledge of accounting standards, GAAP, and statutory requirements.
• Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic.
• Sound knowledge and experience of Restricted donor funds, income and expenditure accounting.
• Strong numeracy skills and attention to details.
• Strong computer literacy, and proven experience of computerized accounting packages, preferably PeopleSoft. Strong proven experience in using Excel spreadsheets. Experience in using Internet-based programs and e-mail systems.
• Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills with a proactive approach to identifying and resolving problems and suggesting improvements; able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple workable actions and plans.
• A high level of self-awareness, personal energy, stamina and flexibility. Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner, adjusting to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
• Excellent activity planning, prioritization and implementation skills and commitment to deliver against agreed deadlines.
• Ability to effectively and efficiently co-ordinate on Finance related matters with multi-discipline teams.
• Ability to develop medium-term operational plans and implement them effectively.
• Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English, with strong persuasive skills.
• Ability to build strong and credible relationships internally within Oxfam and externally with other organizations, as appropriate.
• Ability to work in demanding situations under pressure in a team or independently with minimum supervision and delver against team objectives.
• Commitment to the aims, objectives and organizational culture of Oxfam.
• Knowledge or appreciation of Yemen in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the Country.
• Willingness and ability to travel at short notice and/or to work extra hours as necessary, often in difficult circumstances.
• Understanding of gender and diversity issues and commitment to promoting gender and diversity equity
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through post application: