National Consultancy Position
Job site: Al-Turbah - Al-Shamaytain and Al-Ma’afer
Report to: Protection Coordinator (on the technical side) and Activity Coordinator/PM
Duration: 1 year
Status: Service Contract - Consultancy
Program Title: Emergency multi-sector response for Yemen in Ibb and Taiz Governorates
The proposed project aims at an integrated multi-sector response within Ibb and Taiz governorates, further building on the achievement of the previous OFDA funded action: ‘Emergency protection and WASH assistance for conflict affected populations in Dhi Al-Sufal and Al-Sayani districts, Ibb governorate’. The new intervention aims at enlarging the geographical coverage area in order to address specific gaps and needs, with particular attention to South Taiz, considering the high concentration of IDPs and the limited humanitarian presence in this area (especially for protection). The project provides for protection services (prevention and response), combined with nutritional care and treatment for CU5 and PLW suffering from acute malnutrition, and with WASH services for conflict affected communities.
Lawyer, based in Al-Turbah, will provide legal assistance (counseling, mediation and representation) in support of the mobile protection team, with main focus on supporting persons of concern (PoCs) with required documentation and provide legal awareness on documentation/registration and civic law issues.
The lawyer reports to the protection coordinator (technically) and activity coordinator (activity), while closely working with the senior social worker
Main Responsibilities of the Lawyer:
Individual legal support:
- Receives referrals from INTERSOS Social Workers for people identified during field work and who are in need of legal assistance;
- Conducts interviews with cases referred by social workers to assess legal needs, either on the field or within the Community Center premises;
- Provide individual and/or family legal counseling to beneficiaries, in order to orient them and make them aware about the legal procedures available and most suitable for each case;
- When necessary and desirable provide legal guidance to PoC who are in need of legal protection or other legal support. This service may include only legal advice, but in discussion with the beneficiary, can also include legal representation at court, or mediation between parties;
- Assists and counsel the beneficiaries in accessing civil documentation for HHs members;
- Maintain confidentiality at all times and conduct all interviews and assessments in a way that is sensitive to the psychosocial needs of the case;
- Ensure the case has full information regarding his/ her legal rights and also the possible outcomes/ consequences of the case after the presentation in court;
- Advise safety procedures/ ways to avoid further harm to the case;
- The lawyer will carries out awareness sessions on documentation and legal issues, which are identified through a community-based approach and are relevant for IDPs, Returnees and vulnerable HC members.
- The Lawyer will attend daily morning meetings with all project staff and will coordinate on weekly basis through internal case management meetings held by the Senior Social Worker.
- Attend meetings and workshop/training as requested by the Activity Coordinator.
- Ad hoc meetings, which can be called to discuss highly urgent cases.
- Meeting with department of justice, police or any relevant authority, regarding the case based on the need and the specific situation.
- With consent of the beneficiaries involved, the consultant will provide a detailed record of the support provided to the beneficiaries, by recording information on individual case files.
- On a weekly the Lawyer will provide the Protection Coordinator and the Activity Coordinator with an overview of the support provided.
- The lawyer will provide monthly reports to the activities coordinator, including figures on legal assistance to individual cases, legal awareness session and overall trends related to the legal-juridical sector.
- And perform any other tasks requested from the lawyer
Studies & professional experience:
- Hold an advanced degree in law
- At least 3 years of professional practical experience working as lawyer in Yemen (registered at bar)
- Clinical legal experience is desirable.
Most relevant other requirements:
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with government counterparts & juridical entities
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy)
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Native Arabic - Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Deadline for submission of application: 16th of Janaury 2019
- Documents to be submitted: CV and Motivation Letter (incomplete applications will be not considered), in addition to contact details for minimum 2 reference persons (include position and relation);
- How to send the application: by e-mail to email@example.com (applications delivered by hand will be not considered);
- Clearly mention the job and location that you are applying for in the subject of your e-mail!