The Sustainable Development Foundation (SDF) is a non-governmental, voluntary, independent organization established in March 2015, officially registered at the Ministry of Social Affairs as per license (99). As SDF has been present in Yemen since 2015, it has experience implementing emergency child protection and education responses, including women and youth empowerment. SDF has experience in handling large grants from international donors, such as UNDP, UNHCR, OCHA, WHO, SCI and ZOA. The Foundation has excellent national-level relations and has experience in coordinating with both national and international NGOs. It has offices, staff and community based committees in Hajjah, Sana'a, Marib, Ibb, Hudidah and Hadramout as well as solid experiences engaging with local communities from whom it gained acceptance and with whom it has collaborated in the past. In addition to that, SDF creates livelihood opportunities and community based protection committees. Last but not least, the foundation is mainly focused on Sustainable Development Goals and Humanitarian Response.
Posted vacancy: EDUCATION ASSISTANT.
Employer: Sustainable Development Foundation (SDF) – Yemen.
Position type: Full time – contract.
Position reporting to: Protection Officer.
Number of vacancies: One (1).
Starting Date: ASAP.
Post date: January 8, 2019.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implementation of UNHCR Education Strategy 2016-2019 and Educate a Child (EAC) special project including out of school student activities.
- Counseling of refugee children /students/parents and facilitate integration in formal and non-formal education as well as helping them to meet the requirement of enrolment by facilitating the enrolment of refugee children in public schools.
- Act as first point of contact for refugee families wishing to enroll their children at schools.
- Conduct visits to the projects sites as a part of regular follow up and coordination.
- Identify vulnerable refugee children in public school and provide them with school kits.
- Collection of requested/required data from the ten UNHCR supported schools and other public schools when needed.
- Refer and facilitate the enrolment of over-aged refugee children in literacy centers and follow up /supervise their progress regularly.
- Support the implementation of Education awareness campaigns and other protection advocacy plans.
- Establish /strengthen Child Protection Committees (CPCs) and students’ councils in the targeted schools and establishing referral mechanism to refer refugee children to proper services/partners .Maintain and attend regular monthly meetings with CPCs.
- Assist the Education Officer in monitoring progress of activities against planned achievements, outcomes and impact.
- Ensure that the progress reports are timely of high quality and serve to inform management decisions.
- Implement program activities ensuring that delays and constrains are documented and solutions are identified.
- Translate reports and other documentations from English to Arabic and vice versa.
- Implement any other tasks that my position as an education assistant requires.
- Train the students’ councils and raise their awareness about some important issues such as importance of education, child protection issues and save me save you.
- Receive and collect documents related to the project activities and archive them properly.
- Distribute materials to the participants in the training such as pens, handouts and attendance sheet.
- Arrange and conduct field visits to the project sites.
- Train the students’ councils at the ten schools on Child protection issues and child right convention as well as save me save you.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A bachelor degree in education or any other related field.
- At least 1 years of experience in education and preferably with NGOs.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills and proven experience in leading field teams.
- Highly organized with strong problem solving skills and a track record of achieving results under stress and in difficult environments.
- Proven technical knowledge and skills in the field of participatory development, child participation, education.
- Excellent English and Arabic language skills (oral and written).
- Cross-cultural awareness.
- Ability to make decisions.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Creative and able to work with limited resources.
- Proficient in computer applications (MS Office, including Outlook for email).
- Ability to identify potential problems before they occur and make effective plans to respond.
- Ability and willingness to locomotion regularly to field sites.
- Experience in community mobilization and capacity building.
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are required to send a detailed CV and a Cover Letter in English, clearly specifying the position they are applying for, to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight January 18, 2019. Any emails without clear subject indicate the Position that he/she wants to apply for in the advert will be discarded.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.