Ended WASH Officer
Job Title: Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Officer
Department: Program Department
Reports To: Program Manager.
Location: Sana’a, Yemen
ABOUT GLOBAL COMMUNITIES
Global Communities is a global development organization committed to working in partnership with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable, impactful changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable. Development is not something we do for people; it is something we do with them. We believe that the people who understand their needs best are the people of the community itself. Global Communities’ Department of Humanitarian Assistance (HA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Yemen crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, HA is responding directly in Yemen, intensifying Global Communities’ assistance to vulnerable Yemenis. Global Communities, with its more than 60-year experience in over 80 countries, has the commitment to be a strong part of humanitarian response to Yemen by building up the capacity of vulnerable groups and strengthening their resilience to improve their living conditions with a long-lasting, positive and community-based change.
Global Communities, has designed an 18-month, Integrated Modalities to Promote Agricultural, Cash-for-Work and Training in Yemen (IMPACT Yemen) program with the goal of meeting continued humanitarian assistance and early recovery needs of vulnerable and conflict-affected populations in Yemen through an integrated, holistic approach to bolstering food security and livelihoods, improving WASH outcomes, and promoting economic opportunities. IMPACT’s multi-sectoral approach is aimed at addressing the intertwined and underlying factors of the conflict that are creating widespread malnutrition and disease. The proposed program will address the needs of 72,982 vulnerable beneficiaries in Sana’a, Ibb, Taiz, and Dhamar through three objectives:
- Objective 1: Improved household food security and livelihoods by restocking critical agricultural inputs, including seeds, tools, and inputs for composting, fodder and livestock.
- Objective 2: Increased household income for vulnerable households through market-driven vocational training and cash-for work opportunities that simultaneously rebuild critical community infrastructure and support to asset building groups.
- Objective 3: Improved access to safe water supplies, sanitation facilities, and improved hygiene practices in targeted communities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The WASH Officer will design and supervise all hygiene promotion activities. Based in Ibb and Taiz, this position is expected to travel to project sites in different governorates to work with governorate representatives on the implementation and training of hygiene promotion activities. The duties are specified in particular as follows:
- Design curricula and oversee implementation of hygiene promotion trainings.
- Coordinate distribution of vouchers for hygiene promotion and water treatment kits with the Logistics and procurement Officers.
- Train Community Mobilizers and volunteers on hygiene promotion, cholera prevention and monitor their implementation of trainings.
- Design and oversee implementation of hygiene promotion awareness sessions.
- Ensure quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines.
- Evaluate the relevance and appropriateness of current and future programming in relation to water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion in the local context.
- Coordinate with other partners that are working in the water, sanitation and hygiene promotion in the same target areas by attending the WASH cluster meetings and other relevant humanitarian/recovery coordination meetings, conferences, and/or trainings.
- In collaboration with relevant program implementation staff, prepare, oversee, and update the work plan for WASH related activities.
- Prepare required progress/weekly reports for the Program Manager.
- Assist in program development and proposal preparation as requested by Program Manager and Deputy Program Manager.
- Due to the nature of the program’s activities, the abovementioned tasks are indicative only and are subject to change. Others/additional tasks may be delegated to meet programmatic objectives.
- Keep soft and hard documents related to WASH activities.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree is required and a 1-2 years of relevant professional experience in a similar setting and capacity.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and teamwork-oriented.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organization skills.
- V-Good to Excellent in written and verbal English and Arabic is required. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, Outlook) and typing.
- Ability to travel as required within Yemen.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
From February 2019 until 31 March 2020.
- Application should consist of a one page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. Cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with Global Communities.
- Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21463955/1491567
- Applications submitted after 16 January 2019 will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.