Deployment Type: Full Time
Length of Assignment: One Year
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen began its Health, Nutrition and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs in response to the impact of conflicts in Abyan and Aden Governorates in October 2012. Currently IRC Yemen is operating in eight governorates in the south and north of Yemen through direct programming and through a local partnership, in Health, WASH, Nutrition, Economic Recovery Development and Women Protection and Empowerment. These sectors are responding to food insecurity, cholera and other humanitarian needs within the displaced and conflict affected populations.
Under the supervision of the Admin HR Officer and with the support of a cook assistant, the cook will responsible to organize the catering for up to 22 people.
- Cooking and preparing a variety of fresh nutritious meal taking into good nutritional standards are maintained when preparing meals.
- Go to the market – or liaise with suppliers- to get food supply and ensure that the food is of the highest quality.
- In charge of stock control of the basics ingredients: oil, salt, spices and replenish stock when needed to ensure the kitchen is always well stocked
- Ensure all food and other items are stored properly
- In charge with the petty cash management of the “food box”.
- Ensure that appropriate levels of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained in the kitchen in line with health and safety instructions.
- Ensure that garbage is disposed off appropriately.
- Other tasks as required by management in the remit of the role.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Admin Officer in Aden
Position supervises: One cook assistant.
Other Internal contacts: Member of the HR team, international staff and visitors.
- Cooking certificate or experience in lieu.
- 3 to 4 years’ experience working as a cook in an international setting: hotels….
- Experience with managing a team
- Strong knowledge and understanding of hygiene practices
- Knowledge of food supply
- Ability to manage a petty cash box
- Working level of written and spoken English mandatory.
- Good social skills and sense of discretion
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
Interested candidates should send their CVs in English to Aden.Recruitment@rescue.org not later than 11 February 2019 putting COOK as the email subject to be considered OR drop the paper application in the office in aden
IRC is an equal opportunity Employer. Only short listed candidates will be contacted