Ended Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Assistant
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Assistant
Employment band: I
Starting date: 24.02.2019
Duration: till the end of 2019
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has delivered humanitarian relief and development programming in Yemen since 2008. DRC focuses on supporting refugees, migrants, and people displaced by conflict and natural disasters, working especially in areas with access challenges. DRC engages in protection, emergency, WASH, and mine risk education programming among other sectors, and has hub offices in Sana'a, Aden, Hodeida, as well as several other locations throughout Yemen.
Overall purpose of the role
- Provides administrative or technical support within sector area
- Assist the sector officer in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of sector activities
Sector responsibilities: Emergency water supply, hygiene item distribution, hygiene information and education, construction of latrines, installation water points, wells and water storage. Water purification.
Geographic scope: Base – Lahj
This role has a base focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines at base level. The role contributes to the development of base strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
Administrative and technical support:
- Carry out basic tasks within sector area (e.g. data collection)
- Carry out administrative tasks
- Follow given work plans and guidelines
Programme and Operation:
- Assist in the implementation of baseline and KAP surveys and other data collection activities.
- Adapt hygiene education training package for school teachers and equipping them to provide hygiene education to students and WASH Clubs.
- Organize and implement school teacher trainings.
- Support the roll-out of hygiene education to students and to households.
- Adapt hygiene education training package for communities, with a range of topics including water safety, water storage, water treatment, food use and hygiene and care practices.
- Provide hygiene education to communities, adapted to the specific needs of men, women, boys and girls.
- Maintain links with community health volunteers to ensure nutrition screening in coordination with hygiene promotion.
- Facilitate water-testing activities to ensure water quality improvements and sustainability over time.
- Coordinate and follow up the water treatment at all levels and at water sources in particular.
- L Liaise with community water management committees in areas where WASH infrastructure is being rehabilitated to help ensure local ownership and assist in developing sustainable mechanisms for operations and maintenance.
- Ensure accordance with WHO standards and local gender related sensitivities.
Roles reporting to this position
Reports to: No direct reports
WASH Project Manager
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience.
- Experience in administrative tasks
- Excellent IT skills
- Experience with following standard procedures and guidelines
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in local language
- Diploma or equivalent professional qualification
Competencies and Values
All DRC staff members are expected to demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Striving for excellence – constantly and actively seeking ways to develop professionally
- Collaborating – working respectfully with DRC staff, partners, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Taking the lead – showing positive initiative in situations where leadership is required
- Communicating – ability to listen, give space, and convey thoughts and ideas to others respectfully
- Demonstrating integrity – adhering to high personal and professional ethical standards
Furthermore, DRC places strong emphasis on staff acting in accordance with the following DRC values:
- Humanitarian approach – right to life with dignity takes precedence over politics and principles
- Respect – belief in the notion that all human beings have equal rights
- Independence and neutrality – fairness and equality through non-affiliation with politics
- Inclusion – all people should have access to, and be included in, DRC interventions
- Honesty and transparency – assuming accountability for our actions
Terms and Conditions
The proposed employment conditions are based on DRC policy and Yemeni labor law. The selected candidate shall perform his/her duties in compliance with the DRC Code of Conduct and procedures at all times.
CVs of qualified candidates are invited at the below link by the 12 February ,. Please mention your name on the uploaded CV file. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.