Communication and Media Officer
INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE YEMEN - JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Communication and Media Officer
Location: Aden, Yemen
Start date: 1 July 2022
Duration: 1 year, with possible extension
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen began its programs in October 2012 and currently operates in the south and north of the country through direct programming and local partnerships in Health, Nutrition, WASH, Economic Recovery and Development, Education, Child Protection, and Women’s Protection and Empowerment. The country program operates from main offices in Aden and Sana’a and field offices in Abyan, Al Dhale’e, and Hodeidah governorates.
SCOPE OF WORK:
Communication and Media Officer will be leading on information and communications needs in line with the IRC’s Strategic and Programmatic requirements. Reporting to the Deputy Director, Grants and Accountability, this position will work closely with country office and field office program staff to collect, analyze and share information and communicate the IRC’s work to key stakeholders internally (e.g. HQ, Regional Office, Awards Management Unit, etc.) and externally (e.g. donors, beneficiaries of IRC services, NGO partners, relevant government institutions, wider public etc.)
Communication and Media Officer will be responsible for documenting overall success, lessons learnt, case studies, developing communication materials, supporting with preparing donor brief and advocacy briefs/materials, designing and implementing information/awareness raising campaigns and preparing internal periodic reports for ongoing programs (as and when requested). This position requires a very frequent and close coordination with all key program staff within IRC and externally with implementing partners, government authorities and other NGOs.
- Conduct systematic field visits to learn and understand the context, programs and document and capture success stories from program sites, which can/should be shared widely.
- Produce high quality written and photographic case studies and document lessons learnt highlighted during course of program implementation and field visits.
- Transform reports/updates gathered from program teams/partners into effective and useful communication material in English and Arabic and disseminate efficiently to key relevant stakeholders, including to local Yemeni media if requested.
- Provide basic training to build capacity of key program staff on identifying and documenting success stories, case studies, media write-ups, press releases etc.
- Support in drafting internal progress reports, presentations and updates highlighting IRC’s work and achievements for local authorities and communities.
- Advise IRC’s Senior Management Team on innovative means and ways of communicating internally as they respond to concerns, issues, announcements etc.
- Support DDGA, DDP and Country Director with preparing briefings for donors, visitors, local media, and high-level ministry meetings.
- As needed, support with researching and producing briefing materials and advocacy papers in coordination with the DDGA, DDP, CD and IRC’s global advocacy team.
- Assist in planning and delivering various capacity building initiatives planned in addition to information dissemination/ awareness raising campaigns for IRC.
- Attend all relevant internal coordination meetings, project opening/implementation/review meetings to be informed of the program activities, progress and status.
- Screen local media platforms and produce weekly digest and disseminate to all relevant colleagues including and SMT members.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications or equivalent
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent writing skills in English and Arabic – this will be tested.
- Excellent communication, reporting/documenting and analytical skills.
- Computer skills including MS Word, MS Power Point, MS Outlook. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (esp. Final Cut, Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign) is an advantage.
- Experience in shooting and editing photos, preferably videos as well.
- Demonstrated skills in formatting and producing high quality documents and information materials ready for public dissemination – samples of past written and/or digital content will be requested.
- Innovative & creative (with content development, generation and visualization)
- Ability to handle multiple tasks; proven self-initiative and problem solving abilities;
- Ability to work under pressure and under short deadlines.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to Apply
1- Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at
2- CV, Copies of the academic and work certificates should be submitted in the system.
Deadline for Applying: May 24, 2022. System will stop receiving CVs at 12:00 A.M, May 24, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل
Other jobs from IRC
Supply Chain ManagerDeadline:02 Jun | Aden
Client Responsiveness and Accountability AssistantDeadline:23 May | Al-Dhala'e
Environmental Health OfficerDeadline:24 May | Al-Dhala'e