Ended Procurement Assistant (G5)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: PROCUREMENT Assistant
Organizational Unit: Procurement and Logistics Unit
Duty Station: Yemen , Sana’a
IOM Classification: G-5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. :SVN2019/008
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Tuesday 13, February 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Working under the overall supervision of the Head, Procurement & Logistics Unit and the direct supervision of the Procurement Logistic Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for carrying out procurement functions in accordance with IOM’s procurement regulations, rules and procedures.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the Unit in liaising with project managers and sub-offices regarding procurement requests in order to consolidate overall mission procurement and optimize purchasing power.
- Attend to Service Requests in a systematic manner to support optimum use of Mission resources and manage service agreements.
- Solicit bids or quotations, analyze them for conformity to specified requirements, conduct appraisals and confirm terms of agreement with selected suppliers; prepare pro forma purchase orders and ensure authorization by relevant authorities according to Mission Permanent Instruction.
- Follow-up on the status of purchase orders and keep the requesting unit abreast of estimated time of delivery or any changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions. Resolves issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received
- Ensure that goods delivered confirm to the specifications in the purchase order and are in good condition
- Coordinate authorization and processing of requests received from the sub-offices.
- Follow up on all financial aspects relating to procurement and coordinate with finance unit to ensure availability of funds for making payments against procurement.
- Ensure timely and regular reporting of procurement / logistical data to the sub-offices
- Oversee maintenance and repair of office facilities and assets, conduct preventive maintenance, establish maintenance agreements with competent service providers for maintenance of office assets
- Organize and maintain electronic and physical procurement files, relevant to areas of responsibilities
- Carry out all purchases in accordance with IOM procurement Rules & Regulations; Undertake regular trips to the sub- offices to promote and verify adherence to IOM procurement rules and procedures and provide solution for day to day practical issues; proposes product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings;
- Support the Unit in advising Sub-Office procurement staff with regard to IOM procurement procedures, and best practices taking into account the country/ area context and limitations.
- Support the Unit in providing technical guidance to Project Managers with regard to procurement procedures and advise as appropriate on the most cost effective and efficient methods in procuring goods and services.
- Ensure that all offices, warehouse lease agreement are renewed and paid accordingly.
- Review and approve all procurement documents (Purchase requisitions (PRF) Purchase Orders and Payment Vouchers) and release Pos in PRISM.
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the Procurement officer or the Head of procurement and Logistics
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or Equivalent in related field;
- Minimum 4 years relevant work experience; Experience in the Humanitarian Field will be an advantage;
- Effectively applies specialized knowledge of logistics and procurement to timely source goods and services.
- Drives IOM vehicles in a safe manner consistent with local regulations.
- Fluency English and Arabic
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating position applied on subject line by Wednesday 13, February 2019
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line:
SVN2019/009 Sana’a. Procurement Assistant G5
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).