Ended Supply Chain Officer
Department: Supply Chain
Location: Yemen | Aden
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen began its Health, Nutrition and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs in response to the impact of conflicts in Abyan and Aden Governorates in October 2012. Currently IRC Yemen is operating in eight governorates in the south and north of Yemen through direct programming and through a local partnership, in Health, WASH, Nutrition, Economic Recovery Development and Women Protection and Empowerment. These sectors are responding to food insecurity, cholera and other humanitarian needs within the displaced and conflict affected populations.
To support the effective operations in Supply Chain Department in IRC Yemen by managing all local, national and international procurement in Aden or anywhere in Country and to ensure that all procurement is conducted in accordance with IRC Supply Chain policies and procedures, relevant donor requirements, and in the spirit of obtaining best Value for Money (VFM).
The Supply chain Officer will work in Aden (could be deployed anywhere in Country/Internationally as per need) office under the supervision of senior Supply Chain Officer. He/she is responsible for all types of Procurement under the domain of Supply Chain and other logistical coordination (Could be assign other duties as per need). This is a key position within SC and carries responsibility for the integrity of the IRC's procurement system. Must be able to rapidly procure Program supplies, services and equipment, whilst ensuring best practices and maintaining audit-compliant records
- Ensure that all procurement procedures in Aden office are effectively followed in compliance with the IRC Supply Chain Manual and relevant donor requirements
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Supply Chain Officer to ensure that procurement procedures conducted in other streams of the Supply Chain Department are effectively followed in compliance with the IRC Supply Chain Manual and relevant donor requirements
- Assist Supply Chain Manager and/or Supply Chain Coordinator with high valued procurement and national/international tenders.
- Manage procurement staff, distributing tasks between them according to specialist areas, monitoring performance and providing on-going training in roles and procedures
- Monitor the progress of all orders, in particular following up orders awaiting approvals to ensure they do not get delayed in the system;
- Check and approve procurement paperwork prepared by relevant procurement staff;
- Manage the set up and maintenance of all procurement filing, electronic and hardcopy, and ensure that files are complete, correct and include all relevant documentation to meet audit requirements;
- Ensure that the Anti-Terrorist Checks (ATC) file is complete and kept up to date, and ATCs for suppliers are renewed biannually;
- Organize regular local market surveys and ensure the Vendor Roster and other supplier information is kept up-to-date and referenced during the procurement process;
- Maintain costing data to enable budget holders have easy access to prices for budget formulation;
- Implement improved systems and procedures for procurement as directed by the Supply Chain Manager and/or Supply Chain Coordinator;
- Assist Supply Chain Manager to address issues related to procurement procedures that arise from internal audits and reviews;
- Assist senior supply chain officer or supply chain manager in customs clearance or as assigned by SCM/SSCO/SCC
- Liaise closely with Supply Chain Assistant to ensure that the IRC Yemen Order Tracking Sheet (OTS) is updated on a daily basis, and that the report is circulated to all budget holders on a weekly basis and same captured in the system.
- Ensure that the OTS captures all relevant information and dates.
- Ensure that all comments on delays in procurement, special procurement requirements, or other relevant information is updated onto the OTS on a daily basis;
- Communicate to all relevant staff on orders awaiting approvals to ensure they do not get delayed in the system;
- Communicate to budget holders and requestors on any expected delays
- Supplier performance evaluation is done regularly or when required
Finance & Procurement:
- Ensure Payment Request Forms are raised promptly after delivery of supplies or completion of services
- Check PRFs and ensure attached procurement files are complete, correct and have the relevant signatures before they are submitted to finance department for payment;
- Assist Supply Chain Manager with the preparation of deliveries reconciliations and PRFs on monthly basis. Reporting
- Contribute procurement updates to the Weekly Supply Chain Report;
- Prepare procurement data for the Monthly Supply Chain Report to HQ, as directed by the Supply Chain Manager;
Human Resource Management:
- Manage performance evaluation for procurement personnel on six monthly basis;
- Liaise with HR/Admin Officer in recruiting and discipline procedures for procurement personnel in accordance with IRC HR policy9if required or assigned)
- Manage annual leave of procurement staff and ensure that there are sufficient procurement staff on duty at any given time to avoid interruption to the operations of the Supply Chain Department.
- Efforts towards staff Capacity Building
- Provide procurement systems training and briefings to new starters, staff and partners
- Build the capacity of the procurement team in Aden and Yemen for nationalization of the post through training, mentoring, performance management, guidance and general support
- Any other duties as directed by the Supply Chain Manager and/or Supply Chain Coordinator in the management and coordination of the Supply Chain Department in Aden; and
- All positions in IRC Yemen Supply Chain Department/s may at times require manual handling and lifting.
This job description is not exhaustive and additional tasks in the remit of the role may be added/removed according to operational changes.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Senior Supply Chain officer/ Supply Chain Manager/
Position supervises: Supply Chain Assistant/Data Clerk/Any new position
Other Internal contacts: Supply Chain Staff, Finance, Program, HR, External affairs, Field office Coordination.
- Experience working within the commercial, charity or public sector within logistics, supply
- Chain management or a related field e.g. procurement, Humanitarian Supply Chain (e.g. ICT, mechanics, construction, transport, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Education, Protection) etc.
- Experience of providing a customer service.
- Experience of freight forwarding and export/Import procedures.
Knowledge, skills & ability:
- General computer literacy (Word, Excel, Internet, Email).
- Good interpersonal skills, the ability to communicate clearly and effectively and build relationships at all levels taking into account cultural and language difficulties.
- Strong administrative experience and organizational skills.
- Strong negotiating skills when dealing with external freight forwarding suppliers
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales.
- Excellent written and spoken English and Arabic
- Knowledge of procurement and financial reporting
- Experience of computerized procurement systems.
- Open to new learning and change
- Ability to occasionally work out of hours during an emergency
- Commitment to Oxfam’s aims
- Experience of living and working in a developing country
- Be prepared to do physical work when required
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Interested candidates should send their CVs in English to email@example.com not later than 21 February 2019 putting Supply Chain Officer – procurement the job title as the email subject to be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.