Ended Security Assistant
Function Title: Security Assistant
Contract type: Fixed Term
Position grade: GS5
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility extension
Duty Station: Aden
Application deadline: 16 February 2019 @11:59 p.m. (Yemen time)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Job holders report to a Security Officer or the designate. At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for the completion of a range of security-related processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines and practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action on a range of security issues, deal with staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other colleagues. These jobs may require to work different shifts and report for duty on short notice.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The applicant should either be a Yemeni national or have a valid Yemeni Residence/work permit at the time of application.
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- Applications must be submitted online (English language only)
- Current WFP staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply for another GS position.
- WFP staff on GS contracts must have completed one year in the current position to be eligible to apply for another GS position.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Language: Fluent (level C) English and Arabic in both oral and written communication
Experience: At least four (4) years of progressively responsible work experience in the Security Field such as military/police officer, Security Analyst or any relevant security experience. UN/NGO experience is a plus.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has applied knowledge of security operations technical processes which must be adhered to in day to day work
• Has supported security operations efforts as directed
• Has supported in providing ad-hoc technical guidance to staff members
To perform a range of specialised and process-oriented responsibilities related to security operations including monitoring and maintaining security equipment in line with established procedures.
1. Assist in reviewing security threats and risks, compile accurate reports on trends and situations that could adversely impact WFP operations to ensure information is accurately collated to support reporting and decision-making.
2. Review security-related information (e.g. security incidents and events, security support to daily activities, etc.) and use corporate or local information management tools to provide basic analyses and reports to ensure information is readily available for relevant stakeholders.
3. Liaise and coordinate with local administration, security and law enforcement authorities, communities, UN/NGO security staff and other actors to facilitate access for safe programme delivery and to mitigate potential risks against staff and other resources.
4. Assist in planning, coordinating, preparing and conducting field missions including tracking of staff, and perform regular security assessments in the area of responsibility to support safe and effective programme delivery.
5. Prepare detailed security assessment reports after field missions with risk mitigation recommendations to support security situation analysis and facilitate decision-making.
6. Assist in the formulation of advice to Country Director on security risk management matters and safety issues in compliance with the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS).
7. Assist in implementation of all security risk management mitigating measures, including Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) to ensure compliance.
8. Assist in management and maintenance of security equipment and identify new requirements to strengthen technology capacity in line with business requirements.
9. Assist in monitoring that all access control procedures are effective and stringently followed by all staff and visitors to ensure accountability and maintenance of safe and secure environment.
10. Contribute to the development and update of emergency and contingency planning documentation including physical preparations and procedures to support preparedness for a crisis.
11. Assist in identification of security training needs to support training planning and implementation to address staff development needs.
12. Supervise and provide on-the-job training to other staff supporting their development and high performance.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Strategic approach to security risk management||Demonstrates understanding of the strategic context in which the security function operates and the broader implications of day-to-day work.|
|Operational knowledge of security risk management||Demonstrates some understanding of day to day security operations. Contributes knowledge to development of resolutions to aspects of challenges faced, as directed.|
|Security resource management
||Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and financial resource usage on a project-level basis.|
|Analysis and solution development||Demonstrates understanding of key UN inter-governmental body partner agencies. Understands implications of security information and reports and supports in the identification of mitigating actions against threats and vulnerabilities to WFP’s operations.|
|Planning compliance and emergency management||Supports in planning and prioritisation practices in-line with established security policies and procedures.|
To view the job description and apply to this vacancy, please go to:
2.Click on “Apply”
3.Click on Create an account