Administration Associate (Construction Management)
Function Title: Administration Associate (Construction Management)
Contract type: Fixed Term
Position grade: GS6
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility extension
Duty Station: Aden
Application deadline: 16 February 2019 @11:59 p.m. (Yemen time)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders have a level of expertise and knowledge to adapt and contribute to the development of systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The applicant should either be a Yemeni national or have a valid Yemeni Residence/work permit at the time of application.
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- Applications must be submitted online (English language only)
- Current WFP staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply for anothe GS position.
- WFP staff on GS contracts must have completed one year in the current position to be eligible to apply for another GS position.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Language: Fluent (level C) English and Arabic in both oral and written communication
Experience: At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in engineering, construction, site maintenance, electrical maintenance or related fields.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP administrative operating standards and awareness of international humanitarian development issues through day to day work.
- Has provided ad-hoc guidance to new staff members.
To coordinate and provide high quality, client-focused and value-for-money oriented administration services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1.Make recommendations on the required improvements and enhancement measures to WFP premises for the operational purpose, safety, and efficiency of structures and equipment.
2.Participate in technical or design reviews of engineering solutions for the enhancement and renovation of WFP premises; and to facilitate the implementation.
3.Make recommendations and enhance the current electrical installations to ensure the continuity of power supply to the critical equipment, especially in the continuous absence of public electricity and fuel shortage in the country.
4.Supervise the maintenance of all office and work environments in the CO buildings and premises.
5.Ensure air conditioning units receive proper preventive maintenance and repair works when needed and are carried out in the least time possible.
6.Supervise the maintenance of the premises and installation of the electricity wiring and distribution systems for all WFP offices to ensure a safe and reliable working environment according to the WFP premises and electrical standards.
7.Manage an appropriate stock of electrical generator spare parts to ensure its availability and keep detailed reports on the storage and usage of the stock.
8.Coordinate and monitor the performance of the external contractors on the civil work implementation or electrical installation to WFP premises; and propose changes when and where necessary.
9.Perform constant evaluation and coaching of staff under supervision providing proper guidance for work improvement.
10.Identify problems in administrative areas and suggest alternative solutions to resolve issues.
11.Prepare all required reports and information for the unit under the areas of responsibility.
12.Draft correspondences to respond to inquiries to relevant matters.
13.Maintain proper filing and database which includes the expenses under the areas of responsibility.
14.Alternate with other administration staff as required by the Head of Administration.
15.Perform other related duties as required by the supervisor.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Business Support Services & Reporting||Applies strong ability to identify country level requirements and develop customer focused solutions and action plans. Communicates data-based findings in a highly impactful way that is tailored to the audience.|
|Internal Controls & Risk Management||Utilises understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction.|
|Resource Management||Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.|
|Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services||Demonstrates a broad or specialist knowledge of administration best practices, techniques and processes, and a good grasp of WFP standards, processes, and infrastructure in area of responsibility; applies this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services.|
|Customer Focus||Monitors and supervises administrative work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence. Ensures that customer problems are identified and resolved.|
To view the job description and apply to this vacancy, please go to:
2.Click on “Apply”
3.Click on Create an account