National Staff Position
Position: Assistant Logistician
Job site: Mukalla, Yemen
Report to: Log officer Mukalla, Logistics Coordinator
Supervises: drivers, guards and cleaner
Starting date: ASAP – contract till 31/12/2019 – renewable upon funding
Purpose / Objectives:
The Assistant Logistician is responsible for supporting INTERSOS Logistics officer for an ethical and efficient implementation of all logistic activities related to the needs of the office and/or project implementation.
- INTERSOS strongly recommends experienced female candidates to apply for this position.
The Logistics Assistant supports the Logistics officer with all logistics for the INTERSOS Yemen Mukalla base and program teams operating in Hadramout.
The logistics team ensures:
- To deliver logistical support to office and program operations in a time and cost efficient way
- To assure compliance with INTERSOS procedures and governance model: to assure the adherence to INTERSOS guidelines and procedures for admin, finance and procurement, in addition to INTERSOS mission security SOPs
- To ensure the set-up of efficient communication channels and reporting mechanisms with the other stakeholders (Log Coordinator, Project Managers, Activity Coordinators, Country Admin-Fin Officer, Head of Mission)
- In charge of warehousing, supply chain management, procurement, fleet management and management of support staff – incl. assure log sheets for vehicles
- Monitor the correct use of INTERSOS assets and IT equipment, provide technical assistance when needed and update inventory and allocation of assets on weekly and monthly basis.
- Management of the support staff (drivers, guards and cleaners) and delegation of daily tasks to maximize the efficiency of the logistical operations.
The logistician assistant works under the supervision and leadership of the logistics officer and helps to assure the following:
1. Coordination, planning, reporting and team management
- Assist the Activity Coordinators, Program Managers, Heads of Base & Head of Mission in all logistic aspects of INTERSOS activities in Aden office and related centers: ensure weekly & monthly needs mapping per project team, to ensure grouped purchases, where possible and relevant
- Participate in staff coordination meetings and provide updates per project and per purchase order, especially for competitive negotiated procurements
- Oversee the planning INTERSOS fleet management and security procedures
- Supervise daily presence and leave of logistic staff
- Report any problem or inconvenience related to the logistics team or any of its members to the line management
- Ensure detailed and orderly record keeping and filing
- Monthly delivery of logistics report to line management
- Prepare, get approval, make orders and proceed to local purchase according to established INTERSOS and donor procurement procedures, using correct formats and collecting/filing correct documents.
- Execute and follow up all procurement procedures (bids, offers, appraisals of quality and price) and follow-up with PMs and admin-fin department for the preparation of contracts with awarded suppliers, and accordingly follow-up on contract signing and document/payment delivery and collection
- Arrange and update all logistic files and documents in proper archives (digital and hard copies)
- Ensure the establishment and regular updating of the supplier list for INTERSOS, in coordination/upon verification with the admin-fin department for goods, services and suppliers.
- Organize and supervise all logistic aspects and documentation for good/supplies transport and distributions together with PMs: way-bills, packing lists, final delivery/distribution records
- Conduct bookings and reservations of events and venues, per 3 quotations
- Follow up and update regularly (minimum once a month) the inventory of materials and equipment (office and project related, in hard and electronic copies)
- Ensure the proper functioning of warehouse procedures (in/out registration), check of stocks on a regular basis and report to the immediate supervisor
- Update on daily basis stock cards, bin cards and stock reports, reporting on monthly basis or as when required, to program managers and Head of Mission
- Set up emergency stock levels for key consumable items and alert the program managers and Head of mission to process the purchase requests and avoid shortages.
- Prepare emergency fuel stocks and report to Head of Mission when the levels are below acceptable levels (vehicles and generator)
4. Fleet management
- Check and supervise the proper functioning and schedule preventive maintenance of INTERSOS fleet
- Check and supervise the proper use of log books for each vehicle, recording fuel consumption and sufficient fuel stock levels.
- Supervise the correct use of the vehicles, only by INTERSOS staff and authorized individuals and strict adherence to no weapons or unauthorized items policy.
- Prepare travel arrangements to project sites and any other location (check-up vehicles conditions, fuel, radio, drivers, etc.), including movement plan, permits and safe travel
- Check on weekly basis the status of the emergency kits and tool boxes in each vehicle
- Check and maintain properly the office, warehouse and guesthouses conditions (building, electricity, plumbing, equipment etc.) and report eventual problems to the immediate supervisor
- Pro-actively schedule preventive maintenance works (in office, drop in centre, warehouse and guesthouse)
- Ensure regular rent, utilities payments (electricity, water, gas, etc.) and running costs are paid (upon approval of PMs for direct activities related cost & approval of HoM for support costs), per prior approval received on the weekly liquidity planning/cash request
- Schedule preventive maintenance for all generators in the base (oil change, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter)
- Keep generator logbook updated on daily basis and check the fuel consumption to detect abnormalities.
- Ensure preventive maintenance to solar systems in DC and at office
8. Perform any other related duties as required
- Including driving and running errands upon request
The logistician undertakes to fulfil these tasks and to respect and keep any confidential information relating to the local partners and INTERSOS beyond the reach of any third party.
- At least 1 year of experience in logistics department in sub-office of INGO
- Minimum BA in technical field (computer sciences, business administration, engineering, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in supply chain management and fleet management
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy, in particular Excel knowledge is a must) and good knowledge on computer soft and hardware
- Native Arabic - Excellent written and spoken English
- Highly motivated, eager to learn and hard worker
- Holder of a valid Yemeni driving license (since minimum 1 year)
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Deadline for submission of application: 16 February 2019
- Documents to be submitted: CV and Motivation Letter (incomplete applications will be not considered), in addition to contact details for minimum 2 reference persons (include position and relation)
- How to send the application: by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (applications delivered by hand will be not considered)