Ended Program Manager
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Program Manager
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duty Station: Al Mahwit, Yemen
Position Category: Full-time 1 AND Regular 1
Duration of Assignment: One year
Deadline : 11 February 2019
Political instability, civil insecurity, an intensified war, and localized conflicts have plunged the country into a serious humanitarian crisis, and put into further jeopardy the already precarious humanitarian situation of Yemen. Through the Yemen Multi-Sectoral Emergency Recovery and Assistance (YEMERA) program, Mercy Corps will provide effective and timely life-saving and livelihood-restoring assistance to the most vulnerable populations in Yemen. Funded by the Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA), this will be the fourth year Mercy Corps is providing a comprehensive response to the emergency and emerging recovery needs of Yemenis, which includes activities under the following sectors: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Nutrition, Economic Recovery and Market Systems (Livelihoods) and Protection. The program spans seven governorates and will be managed through coordination of three hubs: Al Mahwit/Sana’a, Aden and Taiz.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Program Manger will be based in Al Mahawit (with frequent travel to Sanaa) and manage the day-to-day implementation of a multi-sectoral humanitarian assistance program in their respective area. This program aims to support conflict-affected populations with essential water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services, livelihoods, nutrition and protection assistance. The Program Manager will be responsible and accountable for program delivery that is on scope, on time and on budget. S/he will be responsible to ensure program compliance of donor regulations, as well as Mercy Corps’ policies and procedures. He/she will effectively and efficiently support the field team to ensure the required level of sector coordination and integration, including complementarity with other Mercy Corps programming in the same areas. Moreover, the incumbent will supervise and train program staff, ensure accountability to beneficiaries and collaboration with clusters through Mercy Corps’ technical specialist team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Oversee ongoing program management and administration of the field teams across the various field locations
2. Oversee financial management of the program area and ensure accountability as the area budget holder
3. Ensure sector integration and synergy – including with other hubs
4. Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan
5. Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria
6. Ensure quality of that services provided to the community – good understanding of sector minimum standards
7. Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, protection, and capacity building into all activities, as appropriate
8. Ensure and maintain effective program reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use in coordination with the program staff, including end user monitoring to ensure that designated beneficiaries are receiving the right quantity and quality items/services
9. Adhere to all Mercy Corps’ area of operations and transport/logistics information related to programming
10. Participate in coordination meetings (frequency determined by the AD) between project teams and operations and finance in coordination with Area Directors and other departments
11. Manage the project to adhere to Mercy Corps’ program management minimum standards to ensure that the project is managed on-scope, on time and on budget
12. Develop and maintain good lines of communication and relationships with local authorities and the local community
1. Hire, orient, and supervise new team members, as necessary
2. Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives
3. Assess team members capacities, provide support using training, mentoring and coaching techniques and raising general capacity gaps and issues with HR and management
4. Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence
5. Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews
6. Contribute to country team building efforts by helping team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision making processes
7. Ensure all program staff are aware of and adhere to all Mercy Corps Yemen operational and human resources policies and procedures including code of conduct
Coordination and Representation:
1. Maintain effective and frequent communication with PM counterparts in other hubs, as well as technical specialists and other departments
2. Effective communication with external partners/stakeholders and other organizations operating in targeted area for coordination and partnership opportunities
3. Participate in cluster coordination meetings, as needed
4. Maintain effective communications with the local authorities and local community
5. Represent Mercy Corps in the operational area at government, cluster and donor meetings, as required
6. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally
7. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
1. Share feedback from project team with Area Director (Supervisor), Program Director, Security management and CD regarding security situation in project field sites
2. Ensure project staff members are aware of Mercy Corps Yemen community messaging guidelines
3. Ensure compliance with Mercy Corps Yemen security policies and procedures and ensure that project team members are aware and adhere to these policies and procedures – including but not limited to incident reporting
Leadership and Strategy:
1. Participate in strategic planning for the Yemen Response: ensure linkages to overall Yemen programming
2. Assist with proposal development of similar projects
3. Work closely with stakeholders to make sure program activities are done as per the proposal and give guidance in this regard
4. Represent the program to the Senior Management Team – by providing feedback and information either directly or through the Program Director/Area Director.
Organizational Learning: Mercy Corps expects all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that enhance their professional development.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Sector Program Officers in the respective area (to include one or more of the following: WASH, Livelihoods, Nutrition, Protection)
- In the Enclave basically serves as Head of Office, in coordination with the Area Director, she/he supervises all OFDA’s team including programs, security, operations, and finance.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO Area Director – Sanaa
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH Program Director and Security, Operations, HR, MEL, Sectors Specialists and Finance departments.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Advanced University degree in program management, economics and/or international development studies
• 5 years of experience managing complex and complicated activities with time sensitive deliverables in unstable environments with an INGO
• Managing USAID funded programs is a plus.
• Program Management Certified (PMD PRO) or willingness to be certified in the first six-months of role
• Prior experience in budget management, report writing and coordination of staff and activities
• Experience supervising a team, starting up programs and working in emergency and transitional programming
• Very strong knowledge of spoken and written English
• Must be able to advise staff on program and office activities and security issues
• Understanding the social, political and economic context of the work location
• Demonstrated attention to detail, adherence to procedures, ability to meet deadlines as well as to work independently and cooperatively with team members
• Strong computer skills in standard, office programs.
• Good organizational skills and ability to work independently
• Ability to work within a multi-cultural and diversified work environment
The successful candidate will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment. She/he will have the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. They will have the ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel. Must have strong English skills, both oral and written.
- Please if you are interesting send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please mention in the email subject the position and location you apply for it.