Ended Administrative Associate
Title of Position: Administrative Associate
Position Number: UNOPS
Category / Level: LICA-6
Entry on Duty: ASAP
Duration: 31/12/2019 (extendable)
Location: Turbah Hub, Yemen
Date of Issue: 05/02/2019
Closing Date for Applications: 18/02/2019
The Administrative Associate is responsible for assisting the concerned manager/Administrative Officer in the implementation of general administrative and resource management tasks. S/He works quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor, who will provide general guidance and work plans for identifying work priorities and appropriate approaches. In particular, the Administrative Associate will be responsible for the daily administration of the UN guesthouse and ensure that it is maintained at the established standards.
The incumbent may supervise some lower grade support staff in which case Managerial competencies M001 and M002 (under 2.3 below) are applicable and should be selected by the staff member and manager in the context of Performance Appraisal Management (e-PAD). He/she will keep regular contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs to ensure provision of services and resolution of problems and with local suppliers on routine subject matters as well as with officials of national and international institutions and counterparts in other UN agencies on matters of importance to the Organization.
Responsibility: (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Establish an efficient system of allocating accommodation to staff and visitors by managing the reservation booking, reception and payment arrangements in accordance with UNHCR’s rules and regulations and agreements with concerned agencies.
- Review policies, procedures and fees on accommodation arrangements and payments and ensure that these are all understood by staff, missions and guests.
- Ensure that the accommodation, including laundry and all lodging facilities are maintained to acceptable standards and kept clean on daily basis, replaced or repaired.
- Manage and supervise book keeping and keeping of accounts for cash-paying staff and guests and maintain them for audit purposes in close coordination with finance staff.
- Oversee all compound activities and movements in close coordination with the administrative and field staff safety unit and supervise the attendance and work of ground staff, review their functions and contracts, and prepare their performance appraisals
- Support the organization of special events for rest and recreation of staff and guests
- Respond to and/or facilitate specific requests from staff and guests, i.e. food preferences on medical grounds, internet access, cooking stoves and kitchens, refrigerators, DSTV, etc.
- In collaboration with Security unit, ensure that emergency equipment such as fire extinguishers, emergency alarm and emergency medical kits are updated and accessible to all guests and visitors.
- Maintain general cleanliness and lighting of pathways in the compound including proper waste disposals, backfilling of used latrines, emptying septic tanks, demolition of dilapidated structures and spraying of mosquitoes and insects, clean maintenance of and repairs of kitchen
- Manage the catering arrangements for the guesthouse, overseeing the procurement, supervision of kitchen staff and cafeteria services, transport, storage, and preparation of food to ensure that standards of food and staff hygiene and meals are maintained as high as possible.
- In coordination with the Admin Unit, ensure uninterrupted power supply, manage the diesel consumption and schedule maintenance for generator and back up.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential minimum qualifications, professional experience and required competencies:
- Completion of secondary education or equivalent technical or commercial school with certificate/training in Business Administration, Finance, Guest House Management, Human Resources or other related field;
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function;
- Computer skills (MS-Office and People Soft applications)
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language (as applicable in the duty station). In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.
- Managing Resources
- Analytical thinking
- Planning and organizing
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Desirable qualifications and competencies:
- Knowledge of UNHCR administrative and financial rules and procedures.
- Knowledge and working experience of MSRP HR, Finance and EPM Budget applications.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
Interested candidates must fill a Personal History (P.11) form and it supplementary pages (if applicable). Completed and signed form should be submitted with a motivation letter, factsheets and CV by e-mail to the below email address. The email subject line should clearly indicate the Title of the position as stated above.
Applications missing any of the above elements, and not duly completed, will unfortunately not be considered.
Snr. Human Resources Associate
Address: UNHCR SO Aden, P.O. Box 6090
Tel. contact: +967-2-231-441
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Shortlisted candidates might be requested to sit for a test.
No late applications will be accepted. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).