Ended Agriculture and Food Security Specialist
Job Title: Agriculture and Food Security Specialist (AFSS)
Department: Program Implementation
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: Sana’a, Yemen
Global Communities is a global development organization committed to working in partnership with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable, impactful changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable. Development is not something we do for people; it is something we do with them. We believe that the people who understand their needs best are the people of the community itself. Global Communities’ Department of Humanitarian Assistance (HA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Yemen crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, HA is responding directly in Yemen, intensifying Global Communities’ assistance to vulnerable Yemenis. Global Communities, with its more than 60-year experience in over 80 countries, has the commitment to be a strong part of humanitarian response to Yemen by building up the capacity of vulnerable groups and strengthening their resilience to improve their living conditions with a long-lasting, positive and community-based change.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Agriculture and Food Security Specialist will have supervision, coordination, assessment, design and implementation responsibility for the agriculture and food security components of the project, including beneficiary training modules. The Agriculture and Food Security Specialist will ensure that all defined works components are carried out according to plan, determined deadlines and within approved costs. Based in Sana’a, the incumbent will frequently travel to the target governorates (Sana’a, Dhamar, Ibb and Taiz) to identify, monitor and as may be required backstop related works activities. This position will report to the Program Manager and coordinate with other project units.
The duties are specified in particular as follows:
- Design, develop and take on responsibility for the management, supervision, monitoring and documentation of the agriculture activities component.
- Follow up market/trader assessments with focus to understand how well markets are operating and make sure the market/trader can supply monthly food basket items.
- Manage Field Officers that are responsible for Monthly Food Voucher Program implementation in their designated operation areas.
- Refine the aims and outcomes of the overall agriculture project component including but not limited to: selection of tools, seeds, beneficiaries training.
- Prepare and implement an initial rapid needs assessment / quantity survey / data collection of the agriculture activities and related input requirements as defined by project targets.
- Ensure payment of monthly food vouchers to vendors are accurate and according to the contract.
- Plan and manage the project's agriculture component in full consultation and coordination with Global Communities core team, NAMCHA and other related stakeholders at National and local levels.
- Oversee day-to-day field-based activities, including coordinating with field staff and documenting all related agriculture activities.
- Coordinate with the Global Communities Procurement, Logistics and Finance teams on the procurement and delivery of agricultural-related materials, goods and/or services.
- Collaborate with Monitoring and Evaluation team to ensure effective planning and implementation.
- Ensure that all Agriculture activities are implemented in adherence with Global Communities, USAID, and/or other recognized international construction quality, environmental mitigation and safety standards.
- Represent Global Communities in regards to agriculture activities with local / regional authorities, NGOs, and in technical co-ordination, support and advocacy with national and local food and agriculture clusters and other technical agencies relevant to the sector as requested by the Program.
- Ensure proper filing Management system related to all agriculture field works.
- In collaboration with relevant program implementation staff, prepare, oversee, and update the work plan for all agriculture-related activities.
- Improve poor farmers male/female access to improved prevailed crops seeds
- Improve poor farmers’ male/female access to agriculture tools.
- Develop the capacities of farmers’ male/female in practicing simple, cheap and environmentally and climate smart agriculture practices that to enhance soil fertility, control pests, and reserve limited natural resources like water.
- Ensure sustainability concern by selecting agriculture agents, involving MOA offices at districts level in the training along with farmers.
- Holding training workshops that included farmers (male/female), Agriculture Agents / MOA offices.
- Due to the nature of the program’s activities, the above-mentioned tasks are indicative only and are subject to change. Others/additional tasks may be delegated to meet programmatic objectives.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- University degree preferably in Agriculture or other relevant field(s) is required with 3-4 years of practical is required and hands-on experience in design and implementation of small scale agriculture related projects is relevant.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and teamwork-oriented.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organization skills.
- Fluency in written and verbal English and Arabic is required. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, Outlook) and typing.
- Ability to travel as required within Yemen.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Previous experience in field offices is a plus.
From February 2019 until 31 March 2020.
- Application should consist of a one page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. Cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21463955/1491567
- Applications submitted after 12 February 2019 will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.