Ended Security and Liaison Officer
TITLE: SECURITY AND LIAISON OFFICER
Place : Sana’A base with travel in Yemen
Role opens to Yemeni nationality only
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Under the direct responsibility of the Field Coordinator and in close cooperation with the Liaison advisor expatriate you will be in charge of:
- Assessing and analyzing the context in our areas of activity.
- Ensuring that all the HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL measures described in the Safety and security documents are implemented and respected by the team in Aden.
- Supporting the Security & Liaison Manager and Liaison Officer expatriate in the global safety management of HI staff and goods.
- Training/briefing of the team in Aden on safety /security measures and SOPs
- Represent HI at local NGO security network meetings and building relationship with relevant stakeholders in order to develop strong networking for sharing security information and coordination.
- Provide a regular security report to the Security & Liaison Manager.
Sector(s) linked to: Supports all HI operations in Yemen
Line manager: Field Coordinator
Staff managed: None
In collaboration with: Security Advisor Expatriate
Main Objective of the post: Under the line management of the Security and Liaison Manager will be responsible for the proper implementation and effective monitoring of all the HI mission security and safety procedures, including the reporting and context analysis and for developing and maintaining appropriate and effective relationships with different stakeholders. The post holder will also be responsible for routinely liaising with Yemeni authorities on behalf of HI for security of the team and related administrative issues.
Assessing and analyzing the context
- Follow up and analysis of the context
- Monitoring the safety of the HI staff in the health facilities where we work
- Propose updates to the risk analysis for the area of operation
- Conduct continuous and dynamic risk assessment
- Practically supports the Security & Liaison Manager and the AdminCo in the liaison and negotiations with authorities to obtain access for movements outside of Sana’a city
- Maintain a clear knowledge on travel requirements and clearance permissions needed to move and intervene outside of Sana’a city.
- Support the FC in the organisation of assessments or visits in for all proposed new areas/institutions of intervention (deconfliction process, authorisations, risk, …)
- Keep informed of any changes in the administrative procedures for movements, and in particular access to the areas of operation
Ensuring that all the HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL measures described in the Safety and Security documents are implemented and respected
- Ensure Guards are conducting duties
- Talk regularly with guards about incidents, observations, possible improvements of the compound
- Ensure all registers are completed properly and the NO GUN policy strictly respected
- Ensure drivers are on time and able to work safely (no Qat, no medical treatment, no tiredness…)
- Ensure office doors are secured, locked during non-working hours
- Ensure Movement Ops Board is updated and completed properly
- Monitor the building and makes sure that all the security measures are in place, if not report it to the FC and Log Manager for repair or maintenance (Including fire extinguishers, first aid kits…)
- Assess regularly the risks at Health Facility and provide recommendations for the team to work in full safety
- Ensure the respect of Fleet Management rules according to security rules applicable to vehicle movements, and that the related tools are properly used (Movement Plan, Log Books)
Supporting the Security and liaison officer expatriate in the global safety management of HI staff and goods.
- Ensuring the necessary security systems are in place for all duty stations through regular visits to all work locations.
- Engage managers and staff at all levels to facilitate the adoption and compliance with HI Safety and Security Policy and Standards
- Promote the concept that safety and security plans and guidelines should be jointly developed by the whole team to create ownership and encourage compliance.
Training/briefing of the team in Sana’a on safety measures and SOP
- Provides internal safety and security training to staff members on the SOPs
- Deliver a presentation on agreed security subject (with SLM and LO) during the monthly general meeting.
- Provides briefings to staff members about personal health, stress, and preparation for the field as needed.
- Carries out security induction and briefing for new national staff and on arrival briefings for visiting HI staff on the general context
Building relationship with relevant stakeholders in order to develop strong networking
- Establish relationships with the key institutions and persons, at national, governorate and district levels
- Establish relationships with the key Non-Government bodies and institutions, at national, governorate and district level and represent HI at relevant coordination forums, clusters, and working groups.
- Facilitates acceptance of HI image by communities and local stakeholders through establishing relationships and promoting linkages between communities, project stakeholders and HI project staff.
- Participate to the log cluster and write short minutes with main updates on access situation in Yemen for the SLM and LO.
- Ensure good internal communications and the effective circulation of Safety information between the different team members
- Implements an effective communications system to keep the teams informed about contextual, security and access related information that may have an impact on project implementation.
JOB CHARACTERISTICS / REQUIREMENTS:
Educational background and experience:
- University Degree in relevant area (e.g. humanitarian field, social sciences, geopolitics …)
- Minimum 3 years in the humanitarian field with at least 2 years’ experience as security and safety officer for INGO or UN
- Non-military background
- Strong experience in context analysis and networking
- Strong knowledge in the requirements to work and move outside of Aden
- Good skills in mapping using Google Earth and GPS coordinates
Skills and qualities:
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of personal organization and flexibility
- Good communication and reporting skills
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and to HI’s mandate
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Proactive, hardworking and discreet
Required languages & IT skills:
- Working proficiency in both English and Arabic mandatory (oral and written)
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Package
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Sana’a, with frequent movements to the field
- Start: ASAP
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
Interested candidates may please send their CV with cover letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2019/PROG/SECOFF/SANA’A + Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on Tuesday, February 19th, 2019
- Please include at least three references (stating the names of your Line Managers and an HR member for each reference), copies of Experience Certificates, and a copy of your national ID in your application.
- Please address all applications to: email@example.com
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.