Ended WASH Engineer
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: WASH Engineer
Number of Vacancy: one
Duty Station: Al-Dalea
Working area: Al-Dalea
Position Category: Full-time 0 AND Regular 0
Duration of Assignment: 4 Months
Deadline : Feb- 16-2019
Mercy Corps seeks to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression around the world and has worked in the Middle East since the 1980s and currently has offices in Yemen, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Egypt and Turkey. In response to acute and increasing humanitarian needs in Yemen, Mercy Corps opened its office in Yemen in 2010. Primary program interventions include water, sanitation and hygiene; food security and nutrition; and livelihood support. Mercy Corps also develops value chains within the agriculture sector. Strategies to enhance the resilience of communities to the harsh environmental and social conditions in the country cut across the portfolio. The country program works to pivot its programming in response to exacerbated humanitarian need following from the airstrikes on Yemen which began in March 2015.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The WASH Engineer will lead the implementation of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene component of a multi-sectoral humanitarian assistance program in Aden, Lahj, Al Dhale’e, Abyan and Hadramaut Governorates. The WASH component will include rehabilitation of water and sanitation infrastructures at the community level using the Cash for Work modality. The WASH Engineer will be responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on engineering project activities and administrative tasks in the assigned district. He/She will lead beneficiary selection with the community committee and supervise labor in the field. He/She must have experience on rehabilitation of water and sanitation infrastructures and Cash for Work.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Conduct field visits to the proposed areas to identify WASH infrastructure rehabilitations
• Compile Assessment report and work plan for implementation of the proposed activities
• To conduct need assessment for all water, sanitation infrastructure (Latrine, water supply system, water treatment units etc.) in targeted areas.
• In collaboration with community mobilizer and community health volunteers participate in selection of targeted communities and ensure registration of beneficiaries for all water, sanitation infrastructure (Latrine, water supply system etc.) in targeted areas.
• To conduct technical assessment and feasibility survey for all water and sanitation infrastructure in targeted area
• To assess emergency needs, as requested, especially taking in the broader perspective of hygiene promotions
• Program Implementation
• Preparation of BOQs and drawings for all water supply and sanitation infrastructures to be implemented in the targeted areas.
• Execute implementation of all WASH infrastructure activities as per implementation plan, BOQs, drawings and specifications.
• Monitor and supervise water trucking activities and ensure effective implementation of the water trucking activities.
• Maintain material record at construction sites and ensure quality of all material arrived on all sites.
• Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, and make the connection with the administration and logistics to ensure their payments are done well on time.
• Identify project supplies needs Prepare requisitions and coordinate with operation team to ensure materials arrive timely to work site.
• Taking timely program advances for labor payments and other activities and ensure it’s on time settlement.
• Ensure community participation in all WASH infrastructure activities.
• Ensure all WASH infrastructure activities are well coordinated with local authorities (LWSC)and all stakeholders, Also ensure integration of engineering activities with hygiene promotion activities.
• Technical Training of WASH committees and volunteers.
• Regular visits to field areas to supervise all WASH infrastructure activities and ensuring quality of all WASH infrastructures.
• Conducting water quality analysis in the field locations and updating water quality reports, also to propose recommendations for the water treatment systems.
• Supervise the selection of the materials, equipment, and resources for the public health / hygiene promotion and community participation activities with suitable technical specifications and assuring quality.
• Contribute to the development of culturally appropriate relevant IEC (Information Education and Communication) materials
• Conduct training for community groups (adult and children) on context relevant and culturally appropriate IEC material for promoting key public health practices
• Participation in the preparation, planning and performance of the health and hygiene promotion and community participation activities of the project
• Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
• Ensure that WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works are carried out according to BOQs, drawings, quality standards established by Mercy Corps through quality checklists.
• Weekly reporting of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed.)
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
• Conduct data collection related to hygiene promotion indicators (at household, community and public institution ( health center level)
• Follow all MC protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by the direct supervisor
• Reporting and Documentation:
• Preparation of weekly work plan for WASH team and sharing with line manager
• Ensure that WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works are carried out according to BOQs, drawings, quality standards established by Mercy Corps through quality checklists. .
• Preparation of weekly, monthly and field visit reports and sharing with line manager on timely manner.
• Ensure proper Record keeping for all WASH infrastructure activities in hard and soft form
• Integration, coordination and transversal aspects
• Ensure that construction works is integrated with hygiene promotion and community participation component, to ensure sustainability of the infrastructure built.
• Coordinate WASH construction activities with other sectors of Mercy Corps e.g. EFSVL, Health Nutrition & protection, operation and Finance in order to integrate activities in the same geographical area and for the same beneficiaries
• Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
• Ensure the integration of gender, protection, HIV, environment and other crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of WASH construction activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, the elderly and disabled.
• To perform any other work related tasks assigned by supervisor
• Ensure that construction works is integrated with hygiene promotion and community participation component, to ensure sustainability of the infrastructure built
• Regularly meet the community and their leaders whenever in the field to explain what WASH team is doing their community
• Actively participate in weekly management and team meetings.
• Coordinate hygiene promotion and community (mobilization, participation and engagement) activities with the other agencies, local partner and actors carrying out similar activities.
• Attend health and/or hygiene promotion co-ordination meetings in a define location.
• Ensure program integration between WASH Teams and other sectors throughout the planning, design and implementation stages to create synergy effects
• Meet with local government staff working the proposed facilities to explain what Mercy Corps is doing and explain the role to be played by the community and operators in the rehabilitation
• Listen to voice and the suggestion of the community and provide technical guidance and support feedback to provide better understanding of the between Mercy Corps and Community
• Oversee or create a community-based oversight system for all engineering works done by contractors
• Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation
• Is responsible for a high degree of awareness regarding the security situation in the project area. Based upon this knowledge take adequate measures to ensure the safety of any and all MC staff and equipment in the district.
• Supervise the Cash for Work activities including selection of beneficiaries, payment and monitoring activities
• Other duties as assigned
• Staff Management
• When required support HR in WASH Assistant, Community Mobilizer, and community health volunteers recruitment, this includes writing Job description, interviews, etc.
• Ensure partner WASH staff is fully inducted in Mercy Corps’s ways of working, Aims and Values.
• Provide capacity building to local Communities and volunteers implementing Mercy Corps programs
• Ensure WASH team at community level understand and adhere to Mercy Corps ’s Code of Conduct
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: WASH Assistants, Community Mobilizer/Facilitators. Program Assistant, on-MC staff (skilled and unskilled labor) at project sites
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO Senior WASH Engineer
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH Other Program Teams, Meal, EFSL/ Food Security, Health, Nutrition, Operations, Finance
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
The role is one that requires technical expertise (in water, water quality analysis, sanitation, structural design and/or construction)
Bachelor/Graduate degree in Civil engineering, Environmental or public health engineering or equivalent.
• Experience: Experience of minimum 3 years in the field of construction, including 1 year in WASH/shelter/infrastructure sector. Experience related to water & sanitation engineering in a humanitarian setting, including direct experience of repairing and constructing water treatment systems and installing submersible pumps in boreholes. Technical expertise should also include water quality analysis, sanitation, structural design and/or construction.
• Proven experience of coordinating large public health and/or WASH program. It is desirable that some of this should have been in emergency relief program.
• Experience with public health promotion and integration with engineering activities.
• Excellent team work skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally
• Experience in the design and delivery of training or capacity building program
• Experience in implementing Cash for Work and or Voucher Cash Transfer is preferred.
• Experience in sewage, water and sanitation infrastructure is preferred.
• Minimum of two-year work experience in engineering project implementation and supervision particularly on water and sanitation infrastructures.
• Minimum of two-year experience working on emergency response and development programming with an international NGO.
• Spoken and written English proficiency is essential.
• Proficiency in a variety of local languages preferred.
• Physically able to spend the long periods of time in the field.
• Able to work and live in Aden.
• Able to travel in other southern governorates.
The successful candidate will be able carry on the vision of the engineering department; provide leadership and motivation; be able to train and capacity-build staff; ensure that projects are planned appropriately and delivered to a high quality.
Please note that Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. As a result, Mercy Corps Yemen recruits staff members based on the qualifications for the position, without regard to tribal affiliation, race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, disability, HIV status, marital status, or any other characteristic that may be protected by law.
Please if you are interesting send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention in the email subject the position and location you apply for it.