Vacancy Announcement for National Personnel for the German International Cooperation / Peace Support Process to Yemen (PN 15.2152.5-002.00) implemented by the GIZ Office Sana’a.
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know–how. We are a German Federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. With immediate effect the GIZ Office Sana’a invites applications from qualified Yemeni nationals for the following position:
- Position: Technical Officer (Ibb and Taiz)
- End of Contract: 30.09.2021
- Post Location: Ibb Governorate with intensive travel to target governorates in target region (Dhamar) and travel to PSY Project Office in Sana’a.
The Technical Officer is responsible for:
- Implementing in consultation with the senior technical officer daily operational aspects of all issues in his/her duty station and target region;
- Providing information on technical and administrative aspects of small scale projects and application in accordance with the specified GIZ quality standards;
- Coordinating activities in his/her duty station and target region with all partners including relevant institutes and civil society organizations;
- Support the planning, implementation and monitoring of local peace building activities through the instrument of Local Subsidies (LS) including liaison with and mentoring of partners through workshops;
- Support the development of LS proposals and proposal evaluation, recommend Proposals to the STO and set up a conflict sensitive baseline, monitoring and evaluation system to inform GIZ and the EU on results in close collaboration with the Capacity Building Advisor;
- Support GIZ and partners in the identification and vetting of local partners in close cooperation with the GIZ Country Office;
- Review local partner reports and report to GIZ and European Union in English and represent GIZ at relevant meetings and forums;
- Maintaining the flow of communication and information between all involved partners and GIZ; especially in regard to problems arising in the target region;
- innovation and knowledge management and communication of innovations to a broad target group;
- Providing training for emerging social leaders with an emphasis on women and youth to work within their communities to find local solutions to issues that challenge them on daily basis;
- Strength or building capacities (local administrations / non-governmental) for the implementation of peace-building measures in view of the instrument “Local Subsidies”;
- Promoting trainings to strengthen local capacities to include people with disabilities into local planning and decision-making processes;
- Support other activities in the framework of the Project if requested by the STO;
- Contributing to the development of a monitoring system forth project.
The Technical Officer (Ibb and Taiz) performs the following tasks:
- Assist the STO in all matters related to planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the measures/interventions he/she is responsible for;
- Support identifying relevant stakeholders and create information database and update it in regular basis;
- Develop project activities proposals for discussion and approval by the senior technical officer & the project director in English language;
- Facilitate implementation of activities in the targeted governorates in close consultation with partners and the RMO;
- Assist safeguarding quality measures during implementation of Local Subsidy Projects and advise necessary changes for improvement in time to STO;
- Deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the project/programme’s area of activity;
- Check and revise small scale project reports and other relevant documents in order to provide feedback to the STO;
- Maintain regular monitoring reports and updates of activities as per the project indicators;
- Provide support to the local and international experts and any other contracted personnel and consultancy firms;
- Support the respective Administrative Officers while following GIZ Rules and Regulations;
- Provide clear data based input to annual reports and reports requested by the project director and GIZ Head Office.
- Support cooperation and maintain regular contact and dialogue with partner organisations;
- Maintain a good working relationship with partners to ensure smooth implementation of measures/interventions;
- Support in close cooperation with the STO the coordination with similar peace and conflict initiatives in the Yemeni context whenever possible;
- Provide updates on policy and/or best practice changes relevant to the intervention area and propose actions/suggestions;
- Coordinate with the STO and other team members to ensure project’s objectives successfully achieved.
- Compile information about project documents and ensures knowledge transfer;
- Develop ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures;
- Draw up reports and presentation documents;
- Prepare appropriate input for various programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme’s line management and GIZ Head Office;
- Assist with research activities and studies on different issues which benefit joint programmes.
- Assist with general project planning and develop project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation;
- Coordinate relevant project activities in his/her field at local level in consultation with the STO and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects;
- Compile the relevant information for joint activities and assignments;
- Handle order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting).
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the management.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- BSc degree or higher in an area related to the project/programme objectives, with a focus on a relevant field like conflict resolution or mediation.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a comparable position.
- Trained in peace and conflict management or close subject.
- Work experience with international organization/s and/or national.
- Experience in dealing with civil society groups and the concept of Do No Harm.
- Experience in grant management or grant supervision is an asset.
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of Arabic and English language. A working knowledge of German is an asset.
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Trained in peace studies and basic knowledge on gender aspects, youth and media in Yemen.
- Understands and sensitive to culture context and inter-group relations.
Please write the full subject line as indicated below, and send your application (cover letter) and CV in English and Arabic to the following:
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Application for Technical Officer (Ibb and Taiz) Post
Deadline for receipt applications is: 19.02.2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you be invited for interview, you will be asked to present all certificates mentioned in your CV. You will also be asked to provide two relevant professional references to be contacted.