Job Title: Management Information System (MIS) Specialist
Department: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
Reports To: MEL Director
Location: Aden, Yemen
Yemen Communities Stronger Together (YCST) is a three-year, multi-million US Dollar, a community-led program funded by USAID and implemented by Global Communities (GC) in seven governorates in Yemen (tentatively in Aden, Lahj, Abyan, Taiz, Sana’a, Ibb, and Dhamar). The purpose of YCST is to support local-level initiatives that mitigate conflict, strengthen social cohesion and promote the peaceful resolution of differences. To reach its goal, YCST will engage communities in an inclusive approach through Participatory Action for Community Enhancement (PACE) Mode to identify and implement service delivery and conflict mitigation projects, build the capacity of formal and informal local leaders, organizations, and networks to serve as neutral arbitrators and peace builders that can meet community and constituent needs that will serve to reduce localized conflicts, and provide stability. The program will also carry out regular and action-oriented learning and contextual analysis across all interventions to support adaptive management and enhanced outcomes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The MIS Specialist is responsible for leading the Management Information System (MIS) initiatives of YCST as well as coordinating needs and provide recommendations in relation to records and knowledge management. The MIS Specialist will also provide technical expertise and oversight to support YCST MIS needs, including those related to program monitoring purposes, use of mobile technology for field data collection, and storing the data online as well as developing MIS products for effective program communications.
Information Management Systems
- Develops and maintains complex databases and management information systems in coordination with the colleagues in the MEAL department and technical program staff.
- Lead a process to develop, customize and establish an efficient MIS and database systems.
- Develops MIS database user manual and establishes procedures, operating manuals and maintenance, and standards for access to data processing facilities and the data itself.
- Provide general MIS and online database maintenance and support to MEAL and program staff to enable them to use MIS effectively.
- Performs routine system maintenance, backing up systems and applications and ensures the integrity of the stored business information by implementing security measures to be adhered by all users.
- Follow up closely on the installation and implementation of the MIS systems, including the Podio and Microsoft Power BI.
- Monitors, evaluate and follow up the use and results of the MIS system at all levels as a regular technical role.
- Reviews and improves MIS to include future expansion of target participants, interventions and services at all levels of implementation.
- Assists other staff in preparing the M&E indicators in relation to objectives, outputs, and activities as defined in projects' results and resource framework.
- Audits information management system data and makes necessary modifications.
Digital Data Collection
- Works with the other departments to design web and mobile-based systems to monitor project implementation, including data collection and management.
- Assists programs' staff, local partners, and community representatives to integrate use of mobile technology in program training and other activities.
- Develops appropriate formats for collecting data for database management in coordination with programs and operations teams at all levels.
- Assist in providing data and information to programs, departments and other members of the team for producing regular as well as irregular reports.
- Support the Senior Communication and Reporting Specialist and other staff to use MIS effectively in project communications and reporting.
- Assists programs in collecting and compiling data from the field, analyzing and producing reports.
- Provides statistics reports and follow up as per the program's needs.
- Prepares and submit reports based on the information and data received from the program as required.
- Conducts orientation on developed MIS database to staff and other partners as required.
- Develops correspondence; coordinates the development, organization, and maintenance of training modules for staff, volunteers and beneficiaries.
- Provides MIS training to staff and partners, as required.
- Supports the promotion of data and information sharing within the stakeholders where appropriate.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Information Communications Technology or a related field with 3-4 years of work experience in supporting and managing ICT-based knowledge.
- Demonstrated experience using MIS, including mobile technology, for program monitoring and implementation, including data collection and management (USAID funded development program preferred).
- Analytical skills necessary to think logically, analyze and interpret problems and present results with clarity and precision in a written and verbal format.
- Knowledge and experience using MIS to communicate project outcomes and achievements.
- Ability to design web structures and web visual design per specifications and needs.
- Ability to model data using Microsoft Power BI.
- Ability to maintain complex databases, management information system, and websites.
- Ability to maintain database files and produce a variety of analysis and reports from the database.
- Verbal and written fluency in the English language along with strong communications, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Team player with effective interpersonal skills and ability to lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and other MS Office software; data analysis software (such as SPSS or Stata).
Normal office environment, however, due to the nature of activities and areas where we operate, you might have to work below normal/difficult working/travel/accommodation conditions. Able to work on a computer and operate a keyboard, for extended periods of time. Able to work out of office location, at times at odd hours.
From March 2019 until May 15, 2021.
- The application should consist of a one-page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. The cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with the program. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21631009/1506207
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Due to the urgency of this appointment, selection processes would be on a rolling basis.