Ended Field Office Market Information Officer
Field Office Market Information Officer
Duty Station: Aden -Yemen with frequent field visits as required
Under the general supervision of the FAO representative and the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) of Strengthening Food Security Information and Early Warning System (FSIS) and under the direct supervision of the National Program Coordinator and the Field Office Coordinator, the Market Information Officer will work very closely with the program team members and the Food Security Technical Secretariat (FSTS) and Governorate Focal Units (GFU) to ensure reliable data is collected and analysed and integrated into the periodic and regular food security analysis. The Market Information Officer will have the following duties and responsibilities to enhance the information collection, analysis and reporting chain.
Main duties and responsibilities
General description of tasks:
The Market Information Officer will work under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Yemen and the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) of the EFRLP programme and under the direct supervision of the National Program Coordinator and the Field Office Coordinator and with technical guidance and support from the Programme Support Unit (PSU) Market Information Officer and pertinent government counterparts. Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Work with the Market information officer of the PSU and other FSIS/EFRLP team members to coordinate all markets and trade-related monitoring, data collection/collation, data sharing and analyses of the Aden field office coordinating the GFUs of the Southern corridor governorates.
- Work closely with the agriculture value chain analysis team and provide the necessary technical support in collecting the market data and information along the value chains;
- Assist and contribute to designing and conducting domestic and cross boarder markets and trade studies and the production of markets and trade bulletins, in close collaboration with the supervisors and relevant GFUs, FSTS, CSO, MAI and MoTI staff;
- Establish close linkages with the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation’s (MoAI)’s marketing and statistical departments, the CSO, MoTI, and other network partners, and target governorate levels, to establish or strengthen the sharing and analysis of Markets and Trade information. Participate in meetings, working groups and forums with a Markets and Trade theme;
- Work with the Database and GIS officers of FSIS/EFRLP and FSTS in establishing a proper management systems of Markets and Trade data and information, in order to facilitate easy storage and retrieval of these information to enhance food security analysis and reporting;
- Work with the Supervisors to identify and coordinate trade and markets-related policy issues and special studies, and co-facilitate related policy dialogue forums and special studies;
- Coordinate and facilitate gathering of food import data from key entry points in the country in liaison with governorate focal units and MoIT;
- Follow up the timely submission of the market price data to the National Market information officer which include commodities such as food security related parameters and provide trade and markets information to contribute to the production of FS Bulletins, briefs, updates and reporting.
- In coordination with the national Market information Officer and the project team to lead the identification of technical support and trainings to the relevant GFUs, FSTS, MoAI, MoIT, CSO, and related government staff members at national and Governorate level in the relevant areas of markets and trade;
- Strengthen data and information sharing on trade and markets among partners to the benefit of the FSIS programme and participate in related meetings, working groups and forums;
- Actively contribute to all other technical aspects of the FSIS/EFRLP program, such as assessments, reporting, presentations and trainings, as required;
- Conduct any other related activities as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural marketing, or related technical disciplines. An advanced degree would be preferred;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in marketing and trade systems analysis
- Understanding and knowledge of the trade and markets dynamics of Yemen,
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize market, trade data, and relate to food security and nutrition analyses, for action.
- Demonstrated ability to apply different analytical methods and tools on market and trade information generation
- Good coordination and facilitation capability, and experience in training partner technical staff;
- Proficiency in the use of computer applications - word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software. Ability to use analytical software such as SPSS and Oracle would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic languages
All applications should be sent to HR-Yemen@fao.org (The Job Title and location should be mentioned in the subject line of the email application).
- Project-based post
- 1 year (extendable) including three-month probationary period
- Motivation/cover letter
- create a table as follows and put it as a covering page to the application
Relevant experience (in 10 bullet points max, 100 words max)
Motivation for the position (in 30 words max)
- Only candidates that comply with the above will be taken into account.