Ended Migration Health Assistant
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position : Migration Health Assistant
Organizational Unit : Migrants Health Programme Unit
Duty Station : Yemen, Sana’a
IOM Classification : G 5
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2019-044
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Wednesday 20, March 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of the Migration Health Programme Coordinator and the direct supervision of the National Migration Health Officer, the incumbent’s responsibilities will include assisting the Unit with a wide-range of issues related to the Migration Health Programming adhering to the ethical standards with respect to gender and socio-cultural sensitivities. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:Provide administrative, procurement and logistics support to the Migration Health Unit in Sana’aCoordinate and liaise with the sub-offices on all Migration Health unit related issuesAssist the Unit in project development and reporting;Assist the Unit in monitoring of financial status of the projects to ensure timely project fund utilization;Organize for meetings, send out the agenda to participants and writing down the minutes of all the meetingRepresent IOM in all gender and GBV related forms and meetings;Provide translation of materials from Arabic into English and vice-versa, as well as interpret during formal and informal meetings as requested;Provide translation services to IOM medical cases in relation to their health care while transiting in Sana’a;Provide escort assistance to IOM medical cases throughout their medical consultations and diagnostic procedures;Produce individual report on each medical case assisted as per agreed schedule with the National Migration Health Officer;Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Unit Manager or Chief of Mission.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Higher in Health Sciences, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field from an accredited institution
- Three years working experience with an international organization carrying out similar function outlined for this position
- Experience in humanitarian programmes focusing on Health for migrants
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
- Familiarity with financial and business administration;
- Experience representing the organization on gender related issues
- Capacity to work independently, efficiently with flexibility;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Willingness to travel and to work in difficult settings.
Languages: English and Arabic
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA)
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors,
- governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Develops strategic vision for IOM within area of responsibility
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans,
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team Members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migrationsolutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectivesGives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from othersDelegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Builds stable strategic alliances with relevant parties
- Identifies sources of and secures funding from external stakeholders to meet the needs of IOM
- Ability to pay close attention to details and work with minimal supervision
- Excellent computer skills especially MS Office and SAP
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, strong interpersonal skills; Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to email@example.com by Wednesday 20 March, 2019
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line “SVN2019/044 Sana’a, Migration Health Assistant – G5 “
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Posting period: From 07.March.2019 to 20.March.2019