Job Title: Senior Engineer
Department: Programs Department
Reports To: Grants Fund Manager
Location: Aden, Yemen
No. of Position: 1 Position
Yemen Communities Stronger Together (YCST) is a three-year, multi-million US Dollar, a community-led program funded by USAID and implemented by Global Communities (GC) in seven governorates in Yemen (tentatively in Aden, Lahj, Abyan, Taiz, Sana’a, Ibb, and Dhamar). The purpose of YCST is to support local-level initiatives that mitigate conflict, strengthen social cohesion and promote the peaceful resolution of differences. To reach its goal, YCST will engage communities in an inclusive approach through Participatory Action for Community Enhancement (PACE) Mode to identify and implement service delivery and conflict mitigation projects, build the capacity of formal and informal local leaders, organizations, and networks to serve as neutral arbitrators and peace builders that can meet community and constituent needs that will serve to reduce localized conflicts, and provide stability. The program will also carry out regular and action-oriented learning and contextual analysis across all interventions to support adaptive management and enhanced outcomes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Engineer will manage a team of Field Engineers and Engineer Assistants in organizing and implementing, adjusting, and following up on all program engineering works under the service delivery projects, conflict mitigation projects, and stabilization projects. The Senior Engineer will oversee the engineering team, ensuring all service delivery projects involving community-based rehabilitation work adhere to strict standards of quality and are in alignment with Global Communities and USAID rules and regulations, as well as all applicable local laws. S/he is responsible for verifying all plans and documentation from subsubcontracts are accurate and follow local construction/renovation regulations. S/he also works closely with YCST program team and subcontracts to ensure all engineering documentation including drawings, specifications, submittals and RFPs for the construction/renovation, expansion, renovation, furnishing, and other required infrastructure work is properly filed. The Senior Engineer duties are specified in particular as follows:
- Provide leading role to design projects, prepare scopes of work, projects plans and specificatons, and bill of quantities, evaluate technical proposals and recommend the award of engineering contracts, technical assistance, and commodity procurement contracts.
- Monitor the compliance of contractors and subcontractors of YCST-related construction/renovation activities with the established technical requirements, procedures and quality standards.
- Develop technical and internal memos related to the design and implementation of service delivery related activities including activity approval documents, and other requirements and approvals as required by USAID regulations.
- Prepare environmental assessment reports for the projects
- Prepare progress reports, financial reports, and other technical reports.
- Conduct regular field visits to construction/renovation sites to assess compliance with design, drawings and specifications, and applicable codes and regulation developing visits reports and logs for required actions or recommendations.
- Observe and document the compliance of construction/renovation contracts and provide on-site quality assurance and construction inspection including site safety, quality control, and work schedule/progress.
- Conduct pre-bid meetings and respond to technical questions in writing through issuing addenda.
- Assist in quality and safety inspections, participate in investigating field discrepancies and coordinate resolutions.
- Analyze project progress and determine expected delinquency.
- Ensure project bidding bill of quantities are accurate and reasonable and within the market price range.
- Perform constructability and operability review of project plans and specification
- Assist with change management process, including tracking potential changes and executing change orders.
- Review project progress payment and ensure compliance of the completed items paid for are with the project plans and specification.
- Work with relevant YCST program team to assess and resolve construction/renovation issues as they arise.
- Work with the Grants Manager as needed on budget review, change management, and subcontracts.
- Assist in managing the procurement process (professionals, equipment,and subsubcontracts), including tender calls, quotation assessments, negotiation, and contract management.
- Review contractors' means, methods, techniques, and ensure compliance with project specification and country rules and regulations
- Other relevant tasks as requested by line managers.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering preferably in civil or construction or related field. Master’s degree is preferred. Construction/renovation field experience favorable
- 3-4 years’ experience in community development and/or mobilization preferably with INGOs.
- 3-4 years of experiences in managing capacity building training programs.
- Knowledge and experience in adult pedagogy and learning styles.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a staff of 5-6 individuals, often in remote locations.
- Strong managerial and organization skills in coordinating the work implemented by NGOs.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and analytical skills.
- Positive attitude towards working in Teams.
- Solid planning skills and sound judgment dealing with implementation challenges and finding solutions.
- Experience with USAID programs and systems/regulations preferred.
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel PowerPoint, and AutoCAD or other design software
- Excellent presentation, preparation and delivery skills.
- Fluency in written and verbal English and Arabic is required.
- Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Personable and professional, collaborative, problem solver and, hard working.
- Takes personal responsibility for issues that arise.
Normal office environment, however, due to the nature of activities and areas where we operate, you might have to work below normal/difficult working/travel/accommodation conditions. Able to work on a computer and operate a keyboard, for extended periods of time. Able to work out of office location, at times at odd hours.
From April 01, 2019 until August 15, 2021.
- The application should consist of a detailed resume or CV. The CV should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with the YCST program. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21631009/1506207
- Applications will be received until the position is filled.
- Due to the urgency for this position interviews will be done on a rolling basis.