Field Technical Advisor Mine Risk Education (Re-Advertised)
TITLE: Field Technical Advisor - Mine Risk Education – re-advertised
Project: HI Mine Risk Education projects in Yemen
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: https://hi.org/
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Under the direct responsibility of the Technical Coordinator Mine Risk Education, the Field Technical Advisor MRE is responsible to ensure the quality of MRE intervention and to carry out the capacity building and training of HI MRE team as well as ensuring the integration of HI approaches in other HI projects. The FTA MRE will also be responsible for externally to support humanitarian community in the definition and implementation, monitoring and evaluation of MRE practices within their emergency humanitarian responses
Line Manager: Technical Coordinator MRE
Line Manager+1: Technical Unit Coordinator
Team Managed: None
Strong functional link with: Technical Officers MRE, Project Manager(s), Database Officer(s),
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
Support and uphold the MRE Mission Strategy
- Identify the contextual vulnerability factors, at-risk groups, gaps to promote safety of most vulnerable people to analyse and report
- From the identified needs, support Technical Coordinator MRE to define the MRE strategy together with the Project Managers, Field coordinator and operation coordinator, with the inputs of the project team
- With the support of Technical Coordinator MRE provide continues guidance a Ensuring the respect and implementation of the vulnerability and MRE approach within all HI’s interventions
- Ensuring continuation of the emergency MRE strategy with the development strategy through capitalization of activities and coordination whenever possible.
- Participate in continuous needs assessments for new projects to be developed and for adaptation of existing projects as needed/appropriate and support in design of new projects
- Induction on MRE in humanitarian action to all newly recruited HI’s staff
- Ensure the ongoing technical guidance, formal and on the job training for project team, regular technical supervision of technical officer MRE through visiting ongoing MRE activities and to ensure the quality of MRE interventions and respect of the HI’s MRE approach
- Technical support to the team in ongoing external trainings and capacity building activities for partner organizations and other stakeholders; deliver training session in the support of designated MRE staff whenever required
- Support in the design, contextualization and translation of technical tools, training material and other relevant documents; disseminate among the staff upon validation from technical coordinator and ensuring the quality of those documents
- Support the MRE team through continues technical guidance on conducting all assessments such as vulnerability capacity assessment, baseline and endline organizational assessments to ensure the quality as per HI guidelines and toolkits; reviewed all the assessment reports to ensure the quality and share with technical coordinator MRE for validation
- Support the MRE team in collecting evidences, best practices and case studies of partner organizations as a result of HI technical support on MRE humanitarian action
- Providing support internally and externally for proper data disaggregation by sex, age and disability and take appropriate actions to reinforce monitoring mechanism
- Under the direction of technical coordinator MRE you prepare the job description, support in recruitment and provide technical inputs for the professional evaluation/appraisal of each member of the staff technically supported by you
- With the support of technical coordinator MRE you also support the project manager MRE in adoption of project methodologies to ensure continues relevancy in the evolving context and adherence to MRE strategy
Representation and external coordination
- Representation of HI’s approaches and MRE component within the project within all kind of coordination meetings (Government meetings (YEMAC), clusters, working group, as relevant)
- Representation of HI towards local authorities and local associations upon request
- Report any relevant information and analysis related to vulnerability and access to services by the most vulnerable persons to relevant stakeholders after validation from MRE Technical Coordinator
- Ensuring coordination and coherence of our intervention amongst local and international actors, avoiding duplication and promoting complementarities
- With the support of technical coordinator MRE review all training reports developed by MRE team to ensure the quality of documents and send back to them for capitalization after validation from Technical Coordinator MRE
- Ensure the collection of relevant data and support their consolidation
- Provide relevant data related to your activities (Weekly Sitrep, statistic, review monthly objectives, etc.)
- Contribute to writing of donor reports: intermediate and final reports
- Ensure capitalization of the tools developed during the project
- Provide a handover/end of mission report
Demonstrate ethical and professional practice
- Respect beneficiary confidentiality
- Respect and promote HI’s policies and report to your line manager any violation of HI policies among team members or partners
- Address needs and requests in a professional manner
- Report any incident or act that causes any harm to a beneficiary or to others
- Only interact with children in the presence of their parent/caregiver
- Always respect a refusal of HI services
- Contribute to the culture of a constructive, holistic team
- Act as key support and contact between other HI team members during the project purchase, and donation of IEC material and any other related items.
- Follow up with the Support Service unit all deliveries done to partners, donation certificates collected well
- Maintain a positive image of HI at all times and in all circumstances
- Other activities related to project activities implementation as per the needs
JOB CHARACTERISTICS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Good spoken and written English
- Good organizational skills and ability to prioritise workload
- Ability to work harmoniously in a team setting
- Capacity to deliver training using a variety of methodologies
- Negotiation skills
- Previous experience in delivering training within community setting
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with potential partners
- Holding a valid driving license.
- At least a BA degree (Master's Degree Preferred) in Humanitarian Science, Social Work or any other humanitarian field.
- At least four years’ experience on MRE projects
- Skilled and confident to relate to and communicate with individuals and groups
- Proven experience of working within a team
- Community development or similar field
- Good contacts within the local community and authorities
Note: the position requires a very high level of flexibility and is subject to evolve in order to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
The working hours are the following: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with Half hour lunch break.
Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
Yemen mission takes place in a sensitive environment regarding security of Handicap International staff and assets. Handicap International employee commits to observe utmost respect of personal and professional ethics, to adhere to principles of neutrality and impartiality, and to ensure necessary levels of discretion within and outside working space. Not respecting this clause will lead to disciplinary action and have immediate dismissal as a result.
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Sana’a, with frequent movements to the field
- Start: ASAP
- Duration: Till 31st of December 2019 (renewable based on performance and fund availability)
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
Any breach of the above-mentioned responsibilities, of the Internal Regulation or of Terms and Conditions of Engagement may be sanctioned by a written warning or immediate dismissal if appropriate.
Using the Curriculum Vitae Form of Europass is highly recommended:
https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose (website used to make professional CVs)
- Interested candidates may please send their CV with Cover Letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2019/PROG/FTA-MRE/SANA’A+Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on Thursday, March 21st, 2019.
- Please include at least three references (stating the names of your Line Managers and an HR member for each reference), copies of Experience Certificates, and a copy of your national ID in your application.
- Please address all applications to: email@example.com
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.