Ended Media and Communications Officer
Reported to: Program Manager
About Human Appeal
Human Appeal is a non-profit organization working across the globe to strengthen humanity’s struggle against poverty, social injustice and natural disaster. Through the provision of immediate relief and establishment of sustainable development programmes, we aim to invest in real effective solutions.
Now over 25 years, Human Appeal has a presence in 24 countries spanning across 3 continents: Asia, Africa and Europe. 2018 is an exciting time as we continue to build on our achievements to transform the lives of millions of people across the world. We are looking for a dynamic candidate who is passionate about international development to join our Human Appeal Yemen team
To manage and drive delivery of media and communications strategies to support Human Appeal’s programme, marketing, campaigns, and advocacy in country.
Key areas of accountability:
- To develop press releases, reactive lines, questions and answers and to organize press conferences, media briefing, visits of journalists to programme locations, and digital contents (stories, photos, blogs, videos).
- To drive media and communications strategy (including digital media).
- To maximize and promote the impact of programmes and crisis response.
- To generate and oversee regular high-quality media coverage (national to global) of Human Appeal’s programme and operation.
- To regularly liaise with international teams (Communications, Fundraising, Marketing and Programmes) on seasonal campaigns such as Ramadhan, Qurbani, Zakat and others.
- To proactively and/or reactively deal with media inquiries.
- To stand as a spokesperson, when required.
- To work closely with the communications team to develop HA’s messaging to public media audiences including developing media products such as press releases, reactive, and media briefs.
- To monitor and to evaluate news and media coverage generated to draw lessons to improve coverage.
- To build and maintain excellent relationships with key media players, journalists and broadcasters.
- To develop and maintain a database of local, regional and international media correspondents.
- To regularly visit field operation and work with programme staff to ensure a direct link between programme work and media coverage.
- To collate content and share with relevant teams and departments.
- To produce regular Situation Reports (Sit Reps) programme information (PIs), and media summaries.
- To facilitate media and VIP field visits.
- To train, coach and support HA’s staff and partners in-country in order to build their media and communication skills and capabilities.
- To stay up to date with the latest thinking on how to improve effectiveness of media and communication approaches and impact.
- To develop and maintain a library of communication resource materials and products.
- Develop communications-related tools, templates or SOPs as required.
- Raise awareness and build capacity for programme staff on communications skills and policies.
- Support the development of project communications plans and provide advice for programme staff.
- Develop and deliver a clear and effective system for internal communications
- Any other communications-related task as required or directed.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in the media environment, either as a journalist or as a media officer in a development, campaigns or humanitarian organization.
- Experience in producing media materials (writing stories, production of video and audio reports) and strong capacity to deliver these within short deadlines.
- Strong writing skills, preferably with a history of writing for media.
- Ability to produce high quality communication materials within tight deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust/respond to changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Strong digital skills in using social media (websites/Twitter/blogs/Facebook etc)
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner.
- Willingness to travel in-country and out-country when required.
- Ability to work with digital equipment, filming and editing skills for short audio and video packages.
- Desirable skills in designing.
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English and Arabic.
- Qualified candidates send a detailed CV in English with reference and cover letter to
Clearly specifying the position are applying for in the Email Subject as below:
Subject : Media and Communications Officer
RECRUITMENT IS URGENT: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and not to wait until the closing date, as CVs will be reviewed as they are submitted and INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON AROLLING BASIS.
• Only short-listed candidates will be contacted