Ended Protection Assistant
The Protection Assistant will work as a part of a team protection team dedicated to the field based projects that seek to prevent, monitor and respond to issues that affect the safety, dignity and participation of displacement-affected women, men, girls and boys in Yemen. The Protection Assistant will be responsible for working directly with displacement affected communities to safely and respectfully document protection concerns, build relationships and capacity among local authorities and undertake referrals as needed. Working closely with the Protection Manager and all NRC field teams, the Protection Assistant will help ensure that NRC has good evidence of protection issues and is able to respond to these appropriately.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Implement delegated duties according to plan of action.
- Record and file information correctly.
- Work with diverse groups of people, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote and share ideas that will help NRC respond appropriately.
- Facilitate interviews, household visits and group discussions on protection and related issues in a manner that is respectful and adheres to protection principles.
- Work with a small team of protection staff to contribute to assessments and monitoring activities that build a better understanding of protection needs.
- Contribute programming ideas to help NRC design protection projects that are realistic and contextually-appropriate.
- Undertake meetings as required with relevant community members and leaders, to explain NRC’s activities and their purpose.
- Participate in the delivery of community trainings and other activities that build knowledge and help engage the community in protection.
- Make referrals as appropriate to ensure people with humanitarian needs can access information and services.
- Support efforts to mainstream gender sensitivity into NRC Yemen’s ways of working both internally and in terms of our programming.
- Any other tasks as identified by management.
- A university degree in social work, social science, political science or related subject.
- An understanding of humanitarian principles and basic protection principles.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high levels of self-awareness.
- An open and respectful approach to working with communities, including people who are marginalised.
- An understanding of gender-based violence.
- An understanding of data collection methods and good skills in undertaking this.
- Good writing skills in Arabic and English to record information and support the preparation of relevant reports and case studies.
- Basic computer skills, especially in Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of spoken Arabic an advantage.
- This role will involve working with various people in the community. Women and people with special needs are encouraged to apply.
- Social science
- Academy college / University
- Diplomatic and able to conduct discussions on sensitive topics with diverse groups.
- Ability to work well as a member of a diverse team.
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision.
- Pro-active, goal-oriented and results driven.
- Flexible and creative.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate well in Arabic.
- English language skills desirable.
- 4 Months contract with possibility of extension subject to funds.
- Travel: Approx. 50 days travel
Qualified candidates are requested to apply through the following link: