Ended Administrative Specialist
Post Title : Administrative Specialist (for Yemeni Nationals Only)
Level of Post : NO3
Duty Station : Sana’a
Post Type : Fixed Term
(For those who applied last time, no need to Apply Again. Your profile is already included under this post)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone And we never give up.
For every child…..Hope
In the 1970s UNICEF established presence in Yemen to respond to the urgent needs of children in the poorest country in the Middle East. In 1991, Yemen ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child and it was enacted immediately. Since then the country has been making steady progress for children until it plunged into a brutal conflict in 2015 but even before that, Yemen needed large amounts of humanitarian assistance.
In collaboration with local authorities, non-governmental organizations and community partners, UNICEF is working in all the governorates in Yemen to respond to the needs of children throughout the country with a continuum of services to help children survive and grow to their full potential through the following programmes: Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Basic Education, and Child protection.
For more on our work in Yemen, please visit our website: https://www.unicef.org/yemen/
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision of the Senior Operations Manager, as the manager and specialist of administrative management services, the incumbent is accountable for provision of managerial leadership and policy guidance for achievement of effective administrative service management and staff capacity development. Ensures the office’s administrative operations and services are effectively in compliance with the organization's administrative policy, procedures, rules and regulations.
Policy, procedures and strategies
- As technical specialist and manager, accountable for the correct and consistent application of policies and procedures in the management of administrative functions through the provision of technical leadership, guidance and support to the country office and sub-offices where applicable.
- Contributes to global, regional and country strategic planning and policy changes/formulation on administrative matters as necessary. Provides technical input to the establishment of administrative guidelines in close coordination with the head of office, Chief of Operations and DFAM.
- Advises the head of the office and updates staff on administrative policies, procedures rules and regulations, providing technical advice, guidelines and administrative support. Implements the appropriate application and interpretation of administrative rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Briefs and assists arriving and departing staff on administrative procedures and requirements.
- Liaises with the Regional Office and HQ Divisions to support policy reform in the area of administrative service management; advises on the applicability of new policy directives at the country level. Makes viable recommendations on the improvement of systems and internal controls, and resolution of sensitive issues, taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
- Keeps the supervisor abreast of potential problem areas, and identifies and recommends solutions. Prepares reports on administrative matters.
- Provides administrative support and services to country and sub-country offices where applicable, including preparation and funding of service contracts, preparations of PGMs for all administrative supplies. Undertakes missions to field locations to review administrative arrangements and makes appropriate recommendations as required.
- Monitors the budget in close coordination with the Chief of Operations to ensure that objectives stipulated early in the fiscal year are realized for smooth operation of the country office/sub offices, where applicable.
- Recommends and prepares estimates on office premises, supplies and equipment requirements for budget preparation purposes. Assists zone offices in the establishment and maintenance of administrative services. Prepares monitors and controls the administrative budget.
Administrative support and services
- Ensures timely and effective delivery and improvement in administrative support and office services for enhanced quality, efficiency and cost effectiveness, including space management, transport services, vehicle use and maintenance, equipment, conference and travel arrangements, document reproduction, communications, mail and delivery services, local procurement and bill payments of utilities.
- Ensures the timely and cost-effective provision of basic offices services including space management, equipment, communications and security to enhance staff safety and productivity.
- Supports the Inter-Agency Operations Management Team's approaches for enhancing UN common services to attain efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Negotiates and supervises matters relating to office premises, utilities and services with vendors /agencies.
- Manages properties of administrative supplies, office equipment and vehicles, updating inventory of items, serving as ex-officio member to the Property Survey Board and ensuring follow-up action.
- Prepares Property Survey Board submissions for the Senior Operations Officer; prepares minutes of meetings and assists the Senior Operations Officer in executing PSB recommendations approved by the Head of Office.
- Supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
Contract arrangement and control
- Ensures that all administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Reviews all contractual arrangements related to administrative support (i.e. courier, premises maintenance, ancillary administrative support, vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance etc.) to ensure that the terms and conditions of all contracts are being adhered to by providers of services. Proposes to supervisor any changes that may be required.
- Monitors payments against contractual obligations.
Staff learning and development
- Develops training programmes to enhance effective performance and efficiency in administrative services management.
- Implements staff learning and development programme activities for capacity building. Conducts workshops for staff competency building, staff learning and development and career development. Provides coaching and counselling to the staff on performance enhancement/development.
Partnership, coordination and collaboration
- Facilitates and maintains effective working relations with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners relating to administrative matters for enhancement of information exchange, collaboration, and harmonization.
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including common services and premises agenda, etc.).
- Coordinates field emergency services.
Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as required.
- Ensure to provide quality services to the beneficiaries in a timely and cost effective manner in performing additional duties and responsibilities assigned in conformance with the policy, standards, rules and regulations.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in social sciences, business management, administration, finance, or any other relevant field of discipline
- Five years of relevant professional work experience.
- Both national and International work experience in office management, administration, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, supply or any other relevant function.
- Work experience in emergency duty station.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Analyzing [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Leading and Supervising [II]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
- Planning and Organizing [III]
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
If you meet the requirements stated above and would like to be place in our talent pool against this post, please apply through the below link: (not later than 25 March 2019:
While UNICEF seeks to recruit the best talent in the Yemeni labor market to be able to deliver the best possible services for the children in Yemen, we would like to make it clear that we never use any third party in any of the recruitment processes for all junior and senior positions advertised. All received applications are treated with high level of transparency and professionalism. Only applicants whose profiles meet the advertised job requirements are considered and only within the announced deadline.
في حين تسعى اليونيسف لإستقطاب أفضل الكوادر في السوق اليمنية لتتمكن من تقديم أفضل خدمة للأطفال في اليمن، تود التنويه إلى أنها لا تستعين بأي شخص أو جهة (قد يقدم نفسهـ/ـا) كوسيط أو طرف ثالث في أي من عمليات التوظيف وفيما يخص جميع الوظائف، باستثناء الإعلان عبر وسائل الإعلام والمواقع الإليكترونية. إن اليونيسف، منظمة الطفولة، تعمل بمستوى عال من الشفافية والمهنية. ولا يتم التواصل إلا مع المتقدمين الذين توافقت مؤهلاتهم وخبراتهم مع الوظائف المعلن عنها والتي تقدموا لها في الموعد المعلن.
UNICEF, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. UNICEF is a smoke-free environment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted