Ended Snr. Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Assistant
Title of Position: Snr. Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Assistant
Category / Level: UNOPS LICA-6
Entry on Duty: ASAP
Duration: Till 31/12/2019 (With possibility of extension)
Location: Sub-Office Aden, Yemen
Date of Issue: 13/03 /2019
Closing Date for Applications: 22/03/2019
- The RSD Assistant is a member of the Refugee Status Determination (RSD) team. S/he is responsible for supporting all activities related to the processing of refugee claims in the Operation.
- The RSD Assistant provides counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's RSD procedures, their rights and obligations, including towards the host authorities, and the status of the processing of their claims. In discharging these responsibilities, the RSD Assistant liaises closely with Registration, Community Services, Resettlement, and other Protection staff.
- The RSD Assistant is responsible for conducting COI and other research related to RSD and maintaining the Operation's local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards. S/he assists in drafting RSD Assessments and compiling and analysing information related to the RSD activities of the Operation, and in drafting related correspondence and reports. The RSD Assistant may provide interpretation and/or translation services for languages for which s/he has the required language competencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- UNHCR’s RSD procedures are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies, including policies related to age, gender, and diversity mainstreaming (AGDM).
- Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to the RSD procedures.
- Fraud in the RSD process is identified and appropriately addressed.
- Conduct first instance refugee status determination interviews (RSD) as per target based on the modalities of processing per week in accordance with established norms and standards, and preparing accurate interview transcripts for each case.
- Conduct identification interviews for resettlement cases to be submitted under the annual quota for Yemen; prepare Resettlement Referral Forms (RRFs) as assigned by the Associate RSD Officer or the Protection Officer; follow-up on other resettlement-related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Consistent with existing jurisprudence and agency policy, prepare reasoned recommendations as per the set target based on modalities of processing per week on whether asylum seekers should be recognized as refugees under UNHCR’s mandate.
- Manage individual cases within reasonable time-lines as determined by the Associate RSD Officer.
- Stay abreast of legal, political, security and other developments which impact on the protection environment, and in particular, on protection delivery through RSD.
- Provide counselling to, and respond to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees, including in the context of the notification of negative RSD decisions.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all work on individual cases.
- Systematically apply an age, gender and diversity (AGD) perspective in the performance of assigned functions.
- Conduct research on country of origin information (COI) and other issues related to RSD and maintain the Operation's local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards accessible to RSD staff in the operation.
- Prepare recommendations with regards to legal and social obstacles faced by persons of concern identified during the RSD interview to Associate RSD Officer.
- Through the supervisor, refer individual cases to other functional units in the Operation and/or external partners for appropriate follow-up, in accordance with established criteria.
- Counsel individual asylum-seekers on the reasons for negative RSD decisions, in accordance with the RSD SOPs.
- Perform other relevant duties or tasks as assigned by the Associate RSD Officer or the Protection Officer.
- Completion of Secondary School and advanced training/certification in social work or a related field.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional job experience.
- Working experience with procedures and principles related to RSD and resettlement processing.
- Knowledge of International Refugee Law and Human Rights Law and ability to apply the relevant legal principles.
- Experience in counselling asylum seekers or refugees.
- Experience in working with vulnerable or traumatized individuals.
- Completion of UNHCR's RSD Learning Programme, Resettlement Learning Programme, or Protection Learning Programme.
- Fluency in English and Arabic
Interested candidates must fill the Personal History (P.11) form, the Supplementary Bio Data table (Excel) and PHF Supplementary Sheet. The three mentioned forms should be submitted along with a motivation letter and CV by e-mail to the below e-mail address.
The email subject line should clearly indicate Last Name, Title of the position and VA Ref. number stated on this announcement. Applications missing any of the above elements, and not duly completed, will unfortunately not be considered.
Snr. Human Resources Associate
Tel. contact: +967-2-231-441
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Shortlisted candidates might be requested to sit for a test. No late applications will be accepted. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).