Local Security Assistant
Post title: Local Security Assistant
Category: Temporary Appointment (TA) - G5
Post number: UNFPA/SC/2019/ Local Security Assistant / March 2019
Duty station: UN hub in Aden
Duration: One Year
The Local Security Assistant (LSA) is located at the UNFPA Yemen Aden Hub directly supports the UNFPA Head of Aden Hub in Aden in the performance of his/her security related duties/functions.
Under the overall supervision of the UNFPA Head of Aden Hub, and the direct supervision and guidance of the UNFPA Yemen Security Specialist (SS), the LSA will assist in the implementation of security standards and on all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UNFPA office, personnel, assets and operations in Aden.
The LSA will ensure that the UN Security Risk Management (SRM) measures are fully implemented pertaining to the safety and security of personnel, premises and assets of UNFPA Aden Hub in Yemen. He/she will ensure that the Area Security Plan is well integrated and exercised by all UNFPA Aden Hub personnel including the contingency plans.
It is important to note that the security professionals maintain responsibility and accountability for safety and security in accordance with the Framework of Accountability.
Major Activities/Expected Results
Assist in implementation of Area Security Plan
- Provide assistance to the UNFPA Head of Field Office in Aden and UNFPA SS in the implementation of the Country and Area Security Plan, Contingency Plans and the UN Security Framework, including ensuring that all UNFPA personnel are covered by relevant Security Plans in Aden;
- Ensure that the Staff Lists are maintained and regularly provided to UNDSS and to the UNFPA Security Specialist;
- Assist to administer and test the UNFPA Warden Plan in Aden.
- Participate and coordinate for the field missions to facilitate movement within Aden and between Aden and other parts of the country and provide guidance to the team leader of the field mission as well as keep coordination with the UNDSS, Radio Room and UNFPA Security Specialist. Ensure timely preparation of CONOPS, Mission Requests and Security Clearances;
- Facilitate security clearances for travelling UNFPA staff based in Aden and missions arriving in;
- Assist to prepare and administer documentation related to travel arrangements, including Travel Authorizations;
- Assist to take overall responsibility for coordination of vehicle requests and drivers to provide missions outside Aden as well as movements within Aden city;
- Administer staff IDs (issuance and renewal) in Aden
- Assist in preparation and implementation of UNFPA Aden Business Continuity Plan;
- In coordination with UNDSS, Aden be prepared for 24-hour response to all security and safety related incidents involving UNFPA Aden staff;
- Disseminate UN/UNFPA Security directives / guidelines, instructions and advisories as per SS direction;
- Contribute to Joint efforts of UNCT such as inter-agency joint convoys, inter-agency assessments, staff trainings, drills etc as approved by the UNFPA.
- Assist in the maintenance and monitoring of the SRM compliance of UNFPA staff, offices, equipment and other areas. Identify the Emergency Communication Equipment needs;
- Assist in the preparation of UNFPA security reports including reports for Significant Security Incident Reporting System (SSIRS);
- Assist the SS in the conducting SRM compliance assessment on regularly basis;
- Ensure that all staff members posted to UNFPA Field Office in Aden have completed the Basic and Advanced Security in The Field Training (BSITF II and ASITF), Safe and Secure Approach in Field Environments (SSAFE) and that records of certificates are maintained with the HR Unit;
- Assist in selection and procurement of appropriate equipment for security (vehicles, telecommunications equipment, etc). Monitors the procurement, deployment and functionality of the same;
- Take responsibilities for maintenance of office vehicles in respect of security requirement, equipment, and vehicle logs.
- Maintain close contact and liaise with local host government authorities and other UN AFPOs to obtain latest security information of the area.
- Develop a network of relationships with peers in the humanitarian community (UN, NGO, INSO, NRD and ICRC) and actively seek opportunities for formal and informal cooperation in the region.
General assistance to the CO SS/SFP
- Provides general administrative assistance to the CO SS/SFP and assist him/her in relation to security expenditure and budgeting;
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents related to security issues;
- Provides substantive support to the CO SS/SFP in collecting and updating information with regards to security issues and communicating them to the RSA and CO SFP;
- Takes minutes and/or notes at security meetings, when necessary;
- Plot security information in GIS software, such as Google Earth.
- Maintain routine and confidential correspondence files/documents.
- Monitor the security environment in Aden, and provide timely and accurate security advice to the SS, including information regarding compliance with United Nations security policies, practices and procedures.
- In close cooperation with CO SS and UNDSS, provide support in organizing and conducting training briefings and courses on security issues/awareness and preparedness and giving orientation to newly assigned staff members.
- Ensures that security personnel (wardens) are knowledgeable about their role and responsibilities and provides necessary training with security focal points.
Other Tasks & Activities
- Provide assistance in the conduct and follow up of investigations and incidents affecting UNFPA staff and offices;
- Represent UNFPA at the local Security Cell meetings in Aden;
- Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the UNFPA Head of Field Office in Aden and CO SS/SFP
To closely work with UNFPA Head of Field Office in Aden, CO Security Specialist, UNDSS Security Adviser/Field Security Coordination Officer, Government Security Departments, local authorities (to maintain staff safety and security), with UNFPA Implementing partners and within UNFPA with the Representative, International Operations Manager and all Staffs.
- Secondary education is required and security/military fields are desirable.
- 2 years’ experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work. Experience in UN/International related environment is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS WORD, EXCEL, etc.).
- Good relations and influence with national security organizations is highly desirable.
- Good knowledge in the usage of google maps.
English and Arabic proficiency both written and oral. Knowledge of other UN official languages (regional languages) is an advantage.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
Functional Skill Set:
- Enabling the safety and security of UNFPA personnel and operations;
- Client orientation
- Organizational awareness
- Job knowledge/technical expertise.
- Providing a technical support system
- Strengthening the capacity of country office
- Planning, organizing and multi-tasking
UNFPA offers an attractive compensation package commensurate with qualifications and work experience. UNFPA offers equal opportunities however; qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply. This post is open to applicants of Yemen nationality only and only located in Aden applicants will be considered, preference will be given to applicants who are residents at the respective location.
Please send your application quoting the post number with covering letter including P11 FORM, which is attached in this advertisement.
Deadline for applications: 27 March 2019
Please note that only short listed candidates will be notified.