Ended Local Security Assistant
Duty station: UNFPA Sana’a Office
Duration: One Year
Job Code Title: Local Security Assistant
Reports to: Country Office Security Specialist
Current Grade: SC – 4
II. Organizational Context
The Local Security Assistant (LSA) will provide support for all aspects of the day-to-day operations pertaining to the safety and security of all UNFPA personnel, eligible dependants/partners, contractors, resources, assets, facilities, programmes, and projects in addition to supporting UNFPA programme while ensuring compliance with all United Nations security policies, procedures and regulations. In terms of functional day-to-day operations related to UNFPA security, the LSA will report to the Country Office Security Specialist (COSS)
III. Functions/ Key Results Expected
Under the guidance and supervision of the COSS, the LSA is responsible for the following duties:
- Provide operational support in preparing security documentations and leading UNFPA field mission convoys as and when required.
- Support practices to ensure that all UNFPA facilities/operations achieve SRM compliancy targets.
- Assist to maintain warden system and keep information updated regarding UNFPA Staff in Yemen.
- Support efforts and programmes to ensure that all UNFPA personnel are provided with, and proficient in the use of, safety and security equipment, including communications equipment, vehicle emergency equipment in accordance with the country-specific MOSS.
- Support training to all UNFPA International and National staff members on security guidelines, communication procedures, travel precautions, emergency procedures and existing restrictions in movement, such as curfews in restricted and dangerous areas.
- Assist in providing security orientation briefing to newly assigned staff member in Yemen when required.
- Supervise the duties and functions of the private security company personnel deployed at UNFPA premises.
- Cover shift duties of UNFPA Security guard on a daily basis as per respective TORs;
- Provide timely and accurate security information related to the area of operations’ general security situation.
- Assist in gathering information about possible security threat for UNFPA staff and assets, and support of developing security advisories/related information to staff in a timely and efficient manner when required.
- Immediately report all security related incidents involving UNFPA staff and eligible dependents to UNFPA COSS.
- Assist to ensure the safekeeping of all security and safety assets (this includes armoured vehicles).
- Assist to maintain and secure the proper functioning of security equipment and stores.
- Assist in conducting the appropriate security & safety assessments of all UNFPA premises and follow up with the implementation of the needed security & safety measures.
- Assist in implementation and maintains the highest degree of access control mechanisms (visitor/vehicle screening) at all UNFPA facilities, ensuring compliance with security SOPs.
- Day to day security operations, including security guard management at all UNFPA facilities.
- Perform other related tasks and duties as assigned by his supervisor.
- Integrity – An ability to work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
- Professionalism – An ability to work in a calm, competent and committed manner; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Respect for Diversity – An ability to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
- Communications – Clearly and effectively speaks and writes, tailoring language, tone, style and format to different audiences; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others.
- Planning & Organizing – Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusting priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Accountability – Adheres to organizational rules, regulations and standards; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
- Client Orientation – Provides services, support, advice, guidance to internal or external clients, and seeks to see things from their points of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; Demonstrates resourcefulness by finding new solutions to address operational or strategic problems.
- Commitment to Learning – Keeps abreast of new occupational/professional developments; Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; Provides constructive security advisory, training, coaching and feedback for others.
- Confidentiality - use care and discretion to avoid disclosure, publication or dissemination of Confidential Information
- Diploma certificate (2 years).
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work.
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to travel;
- Physically fit.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Knowledge of the language spoken at the duty station is an asset.
UNFPA offers an attractive compensation package commensurate with qualifications and work experience. UNFPA offers equal opportunities however; qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply. This post is open to applicants of Yemen nationality only.
Please send your application quoting the post number with covering letter including P11 FORM, which is attached in this advertisement.
Deadline for applications: 27 March 2019
Please note that only short listed candidates will be notified