Watsan Officers (4)
Solidarités International seeks to recruit:
4- Watsan Officers
Location of position: AL Khokha district, Hudaydah governorate- Yemen
I. Presentation of organization
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization, which has been committed to provide aid in the event of conflicts and natural disasters. SI’s mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter.
SI has opened a mission in Yemen and it has recently opened a base in Al Mokha. The mission currently consists of an emergency and post-emergency program with a WASH-focused approach in the districts of the West coast, in Taiz and Hudaydah governorates.
The position will be based in Al Khokha.
II. Responsibilities and Tasks:
Under the direct management of the Watsan Team Leader (WTL) and the overall supervision of the WASH Program Manager (WASH PM), the Watsan Officer leads the field implementation of Watsan supply and monitoring works while meeting technical specifications and quality standards.
He/she will comply with the core humanitarian principles of neutrality, impartiality, humanity and independence as well as with the principles and mandate of Solidarités International at all times.
List of main tasks:
Implementation & Supervision of Water & Sanitation Activities
- Under the supervision of the Watsan Team Leader, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of activities
- Produce technical files (BoQs, Scope of work, Drawing etc.) according to the identified needs, standards and available resources.
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction works using Solidarités International tools (in particular) and according to Solidarités International internal rules:
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Carry out technical assessments of identified sites and make recommendations for appropriate tailored interventions
- Train daily workers and other hired skilled labourers
- Allocate tasks and supervise the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the Watsan Team Leader.
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates
- Provide the Watsan Team Leader with requests regarding material, tools or service needs on regular basis according to the needs;
- Produce with the supplier the Quality and Quantity check at the end of each work in order to release payment using SI’s internal tools
- Supervise contractors and engage with communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Manage the supply of worksite materials as instructed by the Watsan team Leader by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the Watsan team Leader or in absence; to the WASH Program Manager on the state of ‘field’ stock on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors/plumbers
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population
- Provide training to all relevant beneficiaries (health facility workers, daily labourers, beneficiaries) to ensure the safe and appropriate use of facilities installed.
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her Watsan team Leader and or WASH Program Manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of the Watsan team Leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives when requested by the Watsan team Leader or WASH Program Manager
- Report to the Watsan team Leader the progress of the activities he/she is in charge of according to Solidarités International reporting template
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to and coordinate with the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyse the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Take part in lessons learnt workshops and other program evaluation activities
- Represent Solidarités International at local and construction site level when requested by the WTL
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line Manager: Watsan Team Leader (WTL)
Line report(s) on base: Watsan Team Leader (WTL)
III. Profile Required:
Professional experience: Minimum 1 year of experience in similar position (NGO, Private or Public sector) or 3 years in case of no university degree - Humanitarian experience is a strong added value.
Languages: Arabic and English (preferable).
Personal qualities: reliable, honest, very good organization, resistance to stress, good interpersonal skills (internal and external communication), team player, capacity to delegate and to manage, initiative and autonomy, capacity of prioritization of tasks.
-University degree in Water and Sanitation or Environmental or Public Health Engineering/Water Resources Development or in one of the Civil Engineering disciplines of Water Supply and/or Hydrology) or Sanitation/Hygiene Engineering with minimum one year of relevant experience. Secondary school diploma with minimum 3 years of relevant experience (plumbing, water networks maintenance, hydraulic private sector) may be considered.
-Good knowledge of the project cycle, project implementation, project follow-up
IT skills: Basic knowledge of Office software: Excel, Word
Please submit your application (CV, cover letter, photocopies of diplomas, certificates of employment etc.) to Solidarités International by email to: email@example.com Or submit hard copy of your application (CV and cover letter to Solidarites International office located in Al-Maghini neighborhood in Al Mokha.
NB: Title of the related position must be written on your application.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension.
Final date for applications: 26th March 2019