Public Health Promotion-Assistant
JOB TITLE: Public Health Promotion-Assistant
JOB FAMILY: Programme Technical
LOCATION: Amran - Khamer
SALARY: As per salary scale LEVEL: E1
Provide technical support in designing and implementing public health promotion and community engagement and mobilization activities in coordination with team leads on WASH, Gender, Protection, and EFSVL
Post holder reports to: Public Health Promotion Officer
Staff reporting to this post: Community Health Volunteers/ Community Mobilizers
- Most tasks well defined within objectives set by manager with some routine reactive work in response to requests.
- Work patterns are mainly routine, innovative working ways piloted
- Problems may vary but do not always need upward referral.
- Reactive work requires common sense to make judgments about basic adjustments to own routine but also contributes to improvement of unit's or department's services, procedures and systems.
- Impact mainly with own team. Planning usually short-term. Occasionally need to influence own team.
- Manages moderate amounts of cash and/or equipment.
- Some supervision of volunteers / other employees / small projects/processes.
- Draw from a number of information sources to inform individual and group decisions.
- Communicates widely within the unit or department, with some wider Oxfam contacts and/or external contacts.
- Under the guidance of the Public Health Promotion Officer and in collaboration with engineering, and EFSVL, MEAL colleagues to carry out WASH and Food Security assessments, baseline surveys and continuous gathering of information about community situations in areas covered by the programme.
- Support PHP- O to analyze needs and vulnerability data and make use of them to inform and adapt programme activities;
- Participate on the development of culturally appropriate IEC materials and conduct pre-test at community level to inform if any adjustments required;
- Support the development and implementation of Child To Child activities at community and school level;
- Jointly with the engineering team implement components of Oxfam GB’s Public Health Programme, ensuring in line with technical and humanitarian standards with a strong focus on community initiated action plans;
- Work with community based structures, partners such as the MoPHP and Water user committees to identify effective community dialogue mechanisms in order to develop a sense of ownership in regard to WASH facilities, ensure equitable access to both soft and hardware infrastructure and have a forum for feedback and complaints;
- Provide formal and informal training to community based volunteers and structures to effectively mobilize the affected community throughout the stages of programme planning and delivery;
- Supervise a network of community based volunteers and committees. This includes the design and monitoring of community action plans to improve the public health situation in the working area and respond to emerging needs of the community;
- Mobilize communities towards increased awareness about personal & community hygiene and nutrition information using different communication channels and approaches;
- Support the development of PHP/Community engagement and monitoring plans and ensure effective monitoring and reporting of key WASH, Nutrition, morbidity and mortality indicators including disease trends monitoring;
- With supervision, collect and record basic monitoring data from programme beneficiaries;
- Support in implementing WASH & Nutrition Learning programme review, documenting lessons learned, success stories and clear recommendations for future intervention;
- Ensure that all programme interventions take gender issues fully into account. This includes the introduction of mechanisms to enable women to participate in decision-making around public health engineering issues;
- Produce regular weekly/monthly reports and submit to the Public Health Promotion Officer;
- Supervise and monitor the distribution and proper use of non-food items/ hygiene kits to IDPs/host communities;
- Ensure latrines and bathing cubicles constructed are maintained, and community are able to practice handwashing after use
- Ensure that all work carried out is sensitive to community needs, promotes participation and empowerment of community members, and that a system is in place to get feedback on process and impact of the program;
- Ensure effective two-way communication between communities and programme staff and enhance internal communication sharing among technical and wider programme team;
- Any other relevant tasks assigned by line manager within the scope of program implementation plan.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- University degree or higher qualification preferably in the fields of Public Health, Social Science or related field.
- Most importantly, practical experience in appropriate water supplies, sanitation and hygiene promotion, working with communities and mobilizing them for action. It is desirable that some of this should have been in emergency relief programmes. The post holder should have a good understanding of the public health needs of poor rural and urban communities and of appropriate ways of tackling them. The post holder must be aware of and sensitive to the particular needs of women in this context;
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations;
- Solution orientated and pro-active;
- Strong motivational, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience of undertaking training sessions
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender and participation in Humanitarian work;
- Fluency in written, spoken Arabic and English is mandatory;
- Ability to work effectively under stress in emergency situations, in a leadership role
- Knowledge of different working standards and ethics including sphere;
- Ability to prioritize and commitment to meet deadlines;
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action, and to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies;
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through post application:
RECRUITMENT IS URGENT: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and not to wait until the closing date, as CVs will be reviewed as they are submitted and INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON A ROLLING BASIS