Ended Communication Officer
Position: Communication Officer
Job site: Roving North and South Yemen
Report to: Head of Mission supported by Programme Coordinators (Hierarchical) and INTERSOS HQ communications department (Functional)
Contract: Employment contract
Duration: Start ASAP, contract till 31 December 2019, with option for renewal
Purpose / Objectives:
The Communication Officer manages the roll-out of the INTERSOS Yemen Communication Strategy both for external communication and operational communications.
He must present INTERSOS identity and branding throughout a number of products, ensuring the mission, vision and mandate of INTERSOS as key humanitarian actor in Yemen is clearly communicate. All materials will be produced in English and Arabic. The products must be able to reflect INTERSOS’ ongoing humanitarian program and explain how INTERSOS helping/supporting the conflict-affected individuals and communities in Yemen.
Communication products will be used for operational communications (such as awareness campaigns) as well as for INTERSOS’ internal channels, for donors and/or for other outlets, in order to raise awareness of the international public on the crisis in Yemen and on INTERSOS’ intervention.
The Communication Officer will be responsible to develop and deliver:
- A communication strategy in coordination with the Head of Mission, Program Coordinators and INTERSOS HQ communications department.
- Create quality communication products reflecting INTERSOS’ interventions/humanitarian activities in Yemen and prepare stories on INTERSOS’ beneficiaries and staff’s day to day realities in Yemen
- Support program departments in the development of awareness and campaigning materials (including brochures, pamphlets, etc.)
- Work on the development of leaflets and reports for external communication (such as the annual leaflet on INTERSOS in Yemen & the annual report)
- Work on communication tools and develop capacities to have better attention and more inputs by project managers for communication and INTERSOS visibility/branding
- Keep regular contacts with the communication department in HQ, who will supervise, support and direct every external communication product, after clearance with Head of Mission at mission level.
- Develop a communication strategy and work plan for INTERSOS in Yemen, based on inputs from different departments in INTERSOS Yemen
- Conduct regular field visits and arrange for staff, beneficiary and stakeholder interviews and accordingly write easy to read and media savvy stories and articles in English, with option for translation in English
- Promote a better understanding of INTERSOS programmes and ways of working by the development of a welcome kit for national staff
- Identify, develop, produce a variety of media materials in multiple, appropriate formats under the supervision of HQ Communications Department (press releases, feature stories, short movies, picture stories, POD casts, etc.)
- Ensure or enhance the quality, appropriateness of communication, awareness and campaigning materials, activities, processes and messages
- Draft and edit articles, press releases, human interest stories and other advocacy/information materials.
- Develop communication materials, including digital, such as publications, press releases and clippings, photographs, audio-visual materials, web resources etc.
- Support communication activities through information exchange and capacity building with previously identified INTERSOS staff
- Hold an BA in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field
- At least 2 years of professional experience working in the field of journalism & communications
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrated familiarity with NGO work, emergency intervention, in particular with general protection principles
- Be able to work independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors
- Ability to travel autonomously without relying on INTERSOS structure/offices and transportation means
- Demonstrate excellent written and spoken English and Arabic (native Arabic speaker)
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy), advanced working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Publisher) and experience in preparing and maintaining communication materials
- Experience in basic photo and video editing is preferred
- Experience in managing social media is preferred
- Candidates with basic design and layout skills and adept in using Adobe Photoshop are preferred
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS and humanitarian principles of humanity, dignity, independence and neutrality
- Respect specific guidelines when dealing with children and vulnerable group
- Experience as photographer, photo-journalism experience
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
- Deadline for submission of application: 22 April 2019
- Documents to be submitted: (incomplete applications will be not considered)
- CV and Motivation Letter
- Contact details for minimum 2 reference persons (include position and relation)
- 2 feature stories or articles as examples of English writing skills and 2 stories also of Arabic writing skills (published or non-published materials)
- How to send the application: by e-mail to email@example.com (applications delivered by hand will be not considered)