Ended Gender Officer
Position: Gender Officer.
Report to: Senior Gender Officer
No. of position: 1 position
Duty Station: Sana’a
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen began its Health, Nutrition and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs in response to the impact of conflicts in Abyan and Aden Governorates in October 2012. Currently IRC Yemen is operating in nine governorates through direct programming and through local partnership in Health, WASH, Nutrition, Economic Recovery Development, Education and Women Protection and Empowerment.
Under the direct supervision of the Gender and GBV Sn. Officer, the Gender Officer position is a part of the Gender Equality and GBV team, his/ her role to support the program teams to apply provide gender sensitive programs and promote Gender Equality in Different levels.
Detailed responsibilities and tasks:
- In collaboration and under the direction supervision of the Senior Gender Officer the Gender officer will:
- Coordinate community FGD, Meetings and establish strong relationships with community representatives to ensure acceptance of IRC gender/GBV activities
- Develop work plans for each location.
- Contribute on a Gender Mainstreaming Strategy with focus on practice in operations and in programs
- Contribute to implement of IRC programs in Sana’a and Hodeida effectively.
- Conduct field visits Collect the data form the field and analysis this data.
- Work closely with other team to ensure gender mainstreaming in the field level.
- Contribute in training facilitation
- Join the assessment team.
- Conduct Gender Orientation for the new staff.
- Create Gender Champions network in the field.
- Work closely with Gender Sn. Officer to analyze the data.
- Provide ongoing technical support to staff across IRC sectors and teams to ensure they apply a gender lens throughout their work and prioritize the needs of women and girls as needed.
- Contribute in designing the awareness materials in the community
Required qualification and skill
- Bachelor Degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, Sociology or other relevant training Minimum one year working with civil society or NGO on gender equality, women’s protection and empowerment.
- Good working knowledge of English language.
- Minimum three years professional experience in implementing Gender and GBV programs.
- Proven ability in designing Gender activities.
- Excellent knowledge of the working environment
- INGO experience preferred
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Computer literacy is desirable
- Deep understanding of Gender Based Violence, women’s protection and empowerment in the context of Yemen
- Strong communication and facilitation skills, including computer skills
Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link:
Deadline for Applying 17 April 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.