Ended WPE Manager
Position: WPE Manager
Report to: WPE Coordinator
Manages: WPE Teams in Aldale’e Governorate
Duty Station: Aldale’e
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen began its Health, Nutrition and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs in response to the impact of conflicts in Abyan and Aden Governorates in October 2012. Currently IRC Yemen is operating in nine governorates through direct programming and through local partnership in Health, WASH, Nutrition, Economic Recovery Development, Education and Women Protection and Empowerment
Under the direct supervision of the WPE Coordinator and based in Aldale’e, the WPE Manager position will be responsible for the overall management, supervision, implementation, technical guidance, and quality of a robust WPE prevention and response team of over 16 staff in the Aldale’e governorate. This role will work in close collaboration with local partners and the GBV sub-cluster to promote GBV guiding principles. The IRC is committed to gender equality. This position, with assistance from the WPE Coordinator, will also ensure that the Gender Unit continues to be mainstreamed throughout IRC programs in the south.
Detailed responsibilities and tasks:
- Provide technical and management leadership to the WPE program in Al Dale’e.
- Provide on-going training, coaching and mentoring to the WPE team and partners to ensure quality of WPE service delivery and all other program activities. Core trainings will include GBV Core Concepts, WPE Case Management and Psychosocial Support, Community Mobilization for GBV Prevention.
- Coordinate closely with the health team in the delivery of Clinical Care for Sexual Assault Survivor trainings and capacity building activities, to improve the quality of clinical response for GBV survivors
- Ensure that ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place for appropriate GBV analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy
- Implement monitoring & evaluation systems to demonstrate impact and inform ongoing program design
- Ensure Gender Officers and Assistants are working with key health and WASH staff on gender mainstreaming and gender equality
- Manage related WPE grants; develop and maintain work, spending and procurement plans for multiple projects.
- Prepare internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats.
- Manage the relevant project budget; oversee budget expenditures and ensure they are allowable and allocable according to IRC and donor regulations; monitor monthly Budget vs. Actual and expenditure sheets.
- In coordination with the WPE Coordinator, participate in the development of proposals and concept notes for expanding IRC’s WPE portfolio.
Coordination and representation
- Represent the IRC in the GBV sub-cluster in Aden
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders - including community leaders, NGOs, UN agencies, community based organisations and other IRC sectors to enhance multi-agency and multi-sectoral cooperation and coordination.
- Ensure other sectors are utilising the Gender Officer and Gender Assistant to incorporate access to services for women and girls and gender mainstreaming into their programs through trainings and gender sensitive program development
- Coordinate the development of referral pathways in relevant areas where the WPE team is operational
Recruitment and team management
- Recruit, train, and orient national staff in conjunction with Human Resources Department
- Supervise WPE and GE staff in Al Dale’e.
- Ensure Performance Management System documentation is in place and followed up regularly.
- Recommend and implement a capacity building plan for relevant project staff
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with local and international partners
- Ensure regular technical support and guidance to partners, in accordance with partnership agreement
- Adapt and facilitate trainings for partners to ensure effective and safe coordination of GBV service provision
- Advocate with peer agencies, government, and other stakeholders to promote delivery of inclusive and high quality GBV response services.
Required qualification and skill
Education & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in gender studies, health, social work, humanities or other related discipline.
- In-depth understanding of the root causes of GBV, related international standards, and GBV prevention and response strategies.
- Familiarity with WHO Clinical Management of Rape (CMR) guidelines or IRC Clinical Care of Sexual Assault Survivors (CCSAS) guidelines
- Familiarity with the Gender Equality standards and gender mainstreaming strategies
- 2-3 years professional experience in Women’s Protection and Empowerment/GBV programming
- At least one year of experience supervising a team providing direct services to survivors of violence and/or working at the community level
- Demonstrated experience facilitating trainings and workshops on GBV or issues related to women’s rights
- Experience in working collaboratively and/or advocating with other sectors and teams to promote gender equality and prioritize needs of women and girls
- Experience in starting-up new programming
Skills & abilities
- Good interpersonal and team building skills and knowledge of participatory approaches
- GBV or WPE Case management experience
- English skills needed: Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, long working hours, and heavy workload.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Flexibility, adaptability, culturally sensitivity, sense of humor
Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link:
Deadline for Applying 20 April 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.