Ended Senior Health & Nutrition Officer
Action Contre la Faim is an International Humanitarian Organization which is private, non-political, non-denomination and non-profit making. Action Contre la Faim vocation is to save lives by combating hunger, disease and those crises threatening the lives of vulnerable men, women and children. Action Contre la Faim currently operates in 46 countries including Yemen globally and conduct programs in nutrition, food security, health, water and sanitation.
JOB TITLE : Senior Health & Nutrition Officer
Department: Health & Nutrition Department
Overall responsible for ACF supported/implemented activities in Health facilities on SAM/MAM treatment, IMCI, ANC/PNC, PHC and immunization.
Objective 1: Needs assessment, planning and joint capacity assessment of nutrition and health service provision.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain appropriate tool to update villages covered by each facility, remote villages requiring outreach service provision including catchment population per villages and facility
- Follow up with Health & Nutrition officers and community mobilizers to ensure that the mapping of health facilities, health workers and community health workers/volunteers in the targeted areas are updated regularly.
- Maintain monthly report on Undernutrition rates, prevalence of diarrhea, acute respiratory infections from the monthly mass screening report.
- Analyze diseases outbreaks and Undernutrition hotspot based on community screening data and prioritize community based outreach activities
- Conduct joint capacity assessment using CMAM and IMCI quality monitoring checklist with district/Governorate health officers
- Conduct quarterly assessment of CMAM and health service provision in the health facilities and communities
- Periodic capacity assessment of internal team members and planning for on-job coaching/refresher training with support of Supervisor and DPM
- Support nutrition survey team with necessary information and liaison whenever required
Objective 2: Ensure maintenance and hygiene for all equipment and premises:
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Carry out inspections on a daily basis to check the state of the premises;
- Conduct inventory on monthly basis together with the team (including support to nurses/midwife for their pharmacies and equipment)
- Ensure that all equipment is used in an appropriate manner by those present at the centre;
- Set up procedures to prevent theft or loss.
- Verify the availability of clean drinkable water for patients and activities. Report to DPM any problem.
- Verify the cleanliness and disinfection of the premises and equipment;
- Verify correct removal procedures for sewage, solid waste and medical material;
- Check that all incinerators are working properly;
- Update a check-sheet for each point (quantity, quality, water chlorination).
Objective 3: Ensure smooth implementation and proper functioning of nutrition and Health service provision
Closely monitor detection, referral and assessment of acute malnutrition in facilities and provide feedback to project officer. Key areas of supervision and monitoring will be -
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work with Health & Nutrition officers to establish crowd control mechanisms in the health facilities
- Provide guidance and support to put in place facility based screening, detection of acutely malnourished children by the trained heath workers
- Follow up and ensure that the referred cases from community health workers/volunteers are re-measured and documented as referred by community health workers/volunteers
- Closely monitor and provide guidance to Health & Nutrition officers for ensuring appropriate measurement techniques, medical diagnosis for defining their health status
- Ensure that adequate health checkup is done to identify medical complications according to IMCI protocol
- Ensure that appropriate referral of children is maintained within the CMAM and health components (OTP, SFP, SC, PHC, Immunization, IMCI, ANC/PNC) based on anthropometric and medical assessments:
Closely monitor the administration of appropriate treatment protocol for management of acute malnutrition, diagnosis and treatment of common childhood illnesses (SAM/MAM), ANC/PNC, PHC and provide feedback to Health and nutrition officer and health workers: these may include -
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Monitor if mothers/caretakers are given adequate information regarding their child health status and importance of the treatment
- Closely monitor if health workers are following admission and discharge criteria in line with the national CMAM protocol (international in case there are no valid national protocol available)
- Closely monitor if admission procedures are respected in line with the CMAM guidelines
- Closely monitor that appropriate systematic treatment protocol is respected in the health facility for SAM/MAM treatment and treatment of childhood illnesses
- Closely monitor that beneficiaries are receiving adequate therapeutic and medicine supplies according to the CMAM/IMCI, PHC guideline
- Monitor for appropriate documentation – treatment registers, BNF cards, individual child monitoring cards
- Observe if medically complicated SAM cases are referred to stabilization centers; discharged SAM cases are referred to MAM treatment program
- Closely monitor if all absentees, non-responder cases are referred to community health workers/volunteers or community mobilizers for follow up using home visit forms
- Advocate and guide health workers/counsellors to facilitate IYCF counselling sessions during each distribution day in the health facilities for the caretakers, PLWs
Objective 4: Support Health & Nutrition officers and community mobilizers/Health worker for smooth functioning of community outreach activities
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide adequate guidance and support to Health & Nutrition officers and community mobilizer for selection of community health workers/volunteers in the respective catchment areas (OTP)
- Support community mobilizer in organizing and facilitating training sessions for community health workers/volunteers
- Follow up with Health & Nutrition officers and community mobilizers/Health workers on appropriate referrals of acutely malnourished, sick children and PLW to health facilities, admissions
- Follow up with Health & Nutrition officers and community mobilizers/health workers on home visits of non-responders, absentees, death cases, defaulter tracing and ensure proper documentation
- Participate in monthly meeting with community health volunteers and health workers, and provide orientation and guidance in planning, reporting
- Closely monitor and observe the community based detection, referral and awareness activities and provide feedback to community mobilizers/health workers, Health & Nutrition officers.
Objective 5: Information management, reporting and coordination
- Develop and ensure data collection template for health facility tracking, health workers training tracking, supportive supervision visit tracking, on - job coaching tracking are in place and updated regularly by the team.
- Ensure that attendance sheet are used and maintained by the teams for on-job coaching sessions, refresher trainings, supportive supervision visits
- Ensure that Health & Nutrition officers are maintaining supervision checklist during supervision visit
- Ensure that community based screening and health education reports are collected, checked and shared with line managers
- Ensure that data collection template for CMAM database is correctly filled and shared with line manager.
- Maintain and keep CMAM quality monitoring checklist during assessment
- Ensure that monthly statistical report for SAM treatment, MAM treatment, and PLW treatment, PHC, Immunization, IMCI and ANC/PNC are sent online/through other available means.
- Ensure a way to collect, analyse and share the data to line manager.
- Analyse complied reports and performances for the targeted health facilities, communities. Summary narrative shall include –
- Clarification for high defaulters, and following them with the team
- Reasoning for Non-responder cases, and taking the appropriate actions.
- Critical views on low or high admissions compared to previous months
- Report on any death cases
- Monthly variation of prevalence for diseases
- Findings from regular supervision visits (Checklists)
- Challenges in field
- Coordinate with health facilities, district and governorate health offices for smooth implementation of the project activities and quality of service provision
- Closely coordinate with WaSH team to ensure appropriate WaSH facilities in the targeted Hfs.
- Regularly report and coordinate with line mangers regarding challenges, issues faced in the field for timely and appropriate decision making.
Any job assigned by line managers.
- Bachelor in Nutrition/public health/ medical sciences,
- Diploma in nutrition with more than 2 year of experience in implementation of nutrition and health activities
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- At least 2 years of experience in nutrition project implementation
- Extensive experience in capacity building and training on nutrition programs is preferable
- Good monitoring and supervision skill is essential
- Organisation skills are necessary.
- Ability to observe and to provide feedback on the activities
- Ability to understand and to interpret the nature of human behavior
- Ability to analyse, interpret and propose solutions based on changing context
- Ability to work under pressure and react according to evolving context/situation
- Ability to show activeness and creativity in working environment
- Ability to use fluently Word, Excel, Power Point a plus
- Fluent in speaking and writing English
- At least 1 year proven experience in the field of management of nutrition and health project.
- Proven experience in capacity building initiatives for ministry of health workers or field staffs in similar programs
- Level of the position: Technician .
- Basic salary in accordance with our National Salary grid.
- Transportation allowance.
- Eid bonus: a full basic salary per year.
- Medical and life insurance coverage: Including the employee, spouse, children and parents.
Candidates originally from “Aden ” as they we will be the first ones considered;
Women and persons with a disability.
Application Process: Send application comprising a detailed CV and Cover Letter in English, clearly mention the position you have applied + the location of the position, to email address : email@example.com or on Whatsapp on this 716322214 or in a sealed envelope dropped at ACF office latest by 23th April 2019.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.