Ended OT Nurse
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF is advertising for the following position: OT Nurse
Requirements for the position
Nursing diploma.(4 years)
Desirable 2 years of previous experience in OT or ICU, having worked in MSF or other NGO’s would be an asset.
Essential Arabic and preferable English both oral and written
Orientation for results, good team worker, flexibility, commitment, good stress management skills
Place of work: Abs District, Hajja Governorate, Republic of Yemen
Duration: Until the end of 2019, with possibility of extension. With six month probation period
Others: Salary: Based on the organization scale
Organize and carry-out all nursing activities related to the operating theatre (OT) running, according to MSF health protocols, universal hygienic standards and in coordination with the surgeon and anaesthetist, in order to ensure a smooth functioning of the surgical activities (pre, during and post-operative care) offered to patients.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensure the preparation of the material and equipment (checking the quantity and quality), in the OT and carry-out the reception, transport of the patient from the preparation room to the OT and ensuring his/her installation for surgery.
- Assist the surgeon and anaesthetist during the operation, anticipating their needs, in order to facilitate their job and helping throughout the whole process.
- Checks vital parameters of the patient with the nurse anaesthetist
- Organize the patient’s transport and installation from the operating theatre to the recovery room and carry-out and/or supervise all the post-operative activities (used material collection, OT’s cleaning and disinfection, resetting all equipment and material back), in order to prepare the OT for next surgical intervention or any emergency.
- Implement and follow-up the hygiene, sterilization, asepsis and disinfection protocols and procedures at all times, in pre, during and post-operative activities, in order to ensure the patient and staff’s safety conditions. i.e. waste containers availability, sharps container, checking no material or needles remain in the surgical towels, placing instruments into soak container, take instruments/linen to sterilization unit, etc.).
- Supervise and train the nurse-aids and cleaners while in the OT in following all appropriate protocols and procedures, in order to ensure the quality of the healthcare given to patients. and train NS where applicable
- Control all equipment and material stock to be used in the OT (carrying out inventories, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.), in order to ensure an efficient and rationale use of material resources while preventing damage and deterioration.
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (check identity of patient and his/her consent for the operation, fill in patients files, forms, statistics, quantitative surgical data collection, etc.), and report any problematic situations and cases arising, in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensuring proper transfer of information.
- Participate in data and reporting
- Intervene in support of other services whenever needed and work particularly in close collaboration with the accident, emergency department and with obstetrics.
Interested applicants should send a detailed CV and cover letter, ID, certificates and copy of a valid work licence from the medical council in Sanaa to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “OT Nurse” until the 19th April 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and technical test.