Ended Education Program Manager
Education Program Manager – Based in Aden
The Education Program Manager will be based in Aden overseeing the Education Program in Southern Yemen. In addition to directly managing grants in these areas, the Manager will be expected to lead on programme planning, oversight of project implementation, recruitment and procurement. The Manager will contribute to project design and strategy as well as leading on proposal development and grant reporting.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Capacity Building and Staff Management:
- Support the Education Technical Adviser in developing capacity building plans for the Education team, Government Officials, PTAs and school staff.
- Provide day to day coaching on technical and programme management skills to the Education team, and support dissemination of capacity building to the team
- Work with the Education Advisor to identify learning and training opportunities for Save the Children staff and work as a mentor and role model.
- Ensure that the capacity building of the Education team is planned within budget parameters, as well as realistic within the implementation plans of the project.
- Overall responsible for the implementation of Education Program activities ensuring that services are delivered on time, on budget and in compliance with donor regulations
- Provide technical guidance, in collaboration with the Education Technical Advisor, in all areas of the Education Program ensuring that implementation methods are consistent with acknowledged good practice and achieve sustainable results
- Ensure the Education Program is implemented in ways responsive to communities and children in line with SC’s principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with SC’s procedures
- Ensure that the project is implemented with regular liaison with local level stakeholders, and support the field team in the development of regular revisions to, and in compliance with, community and donor agreements for implementation of the education project.
- Develop project implementation plan including procurement and distribution schedules of project inputs in line with programme logistics/supply chain capacity
- Ensure that Education staff have work-plans in place and follow up with team members regularly to ensure that activities are on track
- Manage project budget, including phased budgets, monthly budget forecasting and budget revisions when needed
- Ensure proper and effective use of project resources, ensuring that all resources/assets in project are managed in line with SC and Donor policy
- Monitor project progress against both programmatic, along with the Education Advisor, and budgetary targets, making adjustments to project implementation plans as necessary
- Prepare timely and high quality project and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
Needs Analysis and Program Design:
- Support the Education Advisor with the design and planning required for assessments, baselines, and evaluations.
- Support the Technical Adviser in developing project and donor proposals in close coordination with logistics, finance and grants unit and ensure participation of the field team, plus beneficiaries, in proposal development
- Prior to proposal submission, identify implementation methodology (direct versus indirect) undertaking consultation with partners and initial partner proposal work
- Contribute to country level contingency plans and where possible, integrate contingency planning
Monitoring, Evaluation and Accountability
- Work with the Education Advisor and MEAL team to develop M&E and indicator tracking plans for the Education Program , inputting into the development of additional M&E tools as necessary to monitor project progress
- With the Education Advisor and MEAL team, ensure appropriate, timely and accurate data collection at all Education staffing levels against agreed indicators to enable both internal and external reporting
- Work with MEAL team and Education Advisor to identify and incorporate project suitable accountability mechanisms.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- Ensure appropriate staffing within the operations component of the Education team, within budget parameters, and including volunteers.
- Ensure that all Education Program field staff understand and are able to perform their role, identifying areas of development as noted earlier.
- Establish performance management of all Education staff through effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, on-going feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Work together with the Child Protection team to ensure that programmes are aligned and connected, in collaboration with the Advisors for Child Protection and Education
- Ensure that referral systems between all sectors and different agencies working in the area are in place
- Regularly coordinate and collaborate with all other program managers and program team to support high quality inter-sectoral programming and strengthen programmatic synergies and impact for children
- Support representation with donors and other entities needs as required by Education Technical Advisor.
Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- A Master’s degree in Education, Social Studies, International Development Studies, or in a relevant subject, or a BA with equivalent field experience
- At least 5 years of management experience in education in emergencies programming or in fragile states
- Previous experience in Yemen context
- Previous experience of managing an Education team at national level
- Proven capacity to supervise, and coach staff in Education technical skills and programme management
- Experience of, and commitment to, working through systems of community and child participation and accountability
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- A team player who is able to work collaboratively and with people of diverse backgrounds
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English and Arabic
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Experience in capacity building and training of local authorities, and education stakeholders regarding education in emergency programming.
- Experience in any of the relevant fields, such as ECCD and/or Youth programming, Parent Teacher Committee development, wellbeing and psychosocial support programmes, in emergency contexts.
- Experience in representing an organisation in the coordination mechanism in emergency contexts.
We are looking for both men and women from Yemen with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children in Yemen.
All applicants will be subject to Save the Children’s Child safe guarding Policy and Reference Checking Process.
Interested candidates should send their applications through this link
The deadline for receiving applications is 28/04/2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted