Ended Protection Inclusion Officer
Post: Protection Inclusion Officer
DIVISION / DEPARTMENT / LOCATION: Amran/ Yemen
JOB FAMILY: Program
SALARY: As per Oxfam Scale
Duration: till December 2019 (Renewable)
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
Oxfam’ C ountry Ov erall Protecti on Str ategy Obj ective:
The protection of the conflict affected population, with a special focus on the most vulnerable people and groups including ’marginalised communities, persons with specific needs, elderly people, women and children’ is enhanced and their access to the services is facilitated, their capacity and awareness on protection issues increased, enabling them to better protect themselves and their communities.
Oxfam integrated WASH and Protection project, under the tittle (Conflict affected boys, girls and adolescents have improved access to education in Amran, Yemen).
The project contributes to improved access to education and health for 30,481 conflict-affected children and youth, and 948 teachers in Amran, Yemen through WASH and protection activities in 70 schools. Oxfam will support safe water and inclusive sanitary facilities for schools, and to enhance the learning facilities, environment, and health for girls and boys along with education personnel. All activities will take into consideration the specific needs of girls and people living with disabilities. Protection activities will aim to reduce the risk of SGBV, negative coping mechanisms, and the impact of the conflict on the well-being of school-children, as well as promoting menstrual hygiene among girls. The project will provide psychosocial support and promote gender equality, particularly the needs and rights of girls. Compensation will be given to teachers not receiving salaries in line with authority requirements and standards, to address teacher absenteeism and livelihoods. Finally, the project will build and strengthen local actors and structures to enhance the sustainability of the actions and collective outcomes.
Oxfam protection objective under this project: 29,533 children and youth have increased access to child friendly teaching and learning material promoting protection.
- Post holder reports to: Programme Manager
- Matrix Manager: Protection Coordinator
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: NA
- Technical Program Responsibilities:
- Managing and supporting the implementation of the protection activities in the 70 schools.
- Support the senior management team at the field level to ensure appropriate integration and mainstreaming of protection through all project activities
- Technically supporting the local partner and the project teams.
- Participates in developing and updating the mapping of services for threats and abuses (including GBV) that IDPs and Host Community members face in Oxfam areas of operation
- Ensure the access of vulnerable students to the project activities without discrimination based on gender, age, diversity and disability.
- Participatory protection information gathering and analysis in line with ICRC standards and ethics in protection work
- Provide technical support for the social workers in the 70 schools and ensure that they are able to provide psychosocial support and safe referrals according to the protection minimum standards.
- Support and supervise the social workers of the partners to provide technical support for the Pilot student/adolescent-led initiatives that will be developed to promote tolerance, protection and gender.
- Manage and organize # of workshop on gender and protection issues including (how to create initiatives that will promote tolerance and gender equality) these workshops will target # of students /adolescents among 50 schools.
- Support technically the social workers in the schools and raise their awareness on protection and key topics and objectives related to the project.
- Ensure that the targeted schools will receive recreational kits and play materials, which will be used to implement these activities and disseminate life skills awareness sessions/key messages that will be inclusive, gender sensitive and adopted to children and adolescents needs.
- Support the local partner team and the school social workers to manage and supervise the recreational activities that include sports, drawings, social activities, construction of small recreational structures at each school.
- Work with the local partner’s team to support the teachers/school social workers to identify protection cases, then refer these to the key service providers (taking into consideration the best interest of the child).
- Manage and organize # of workshop to train teachers and social workers, on psychosocial support, protection / gender issues, and on safeguarding and child protection policies, as well the ‘’use of child- friendly and conflict-sensitive methods, play and recreation, teaching life skills and referrals’’.
- Prepare reports on violations and security incidents affecting the safety of conflict affected communities, asses the protection gaps protect the IDPs and host communities
- Lead and supervise Oxfam assessment teams during thematic surveys, needs assessment and data collection for protection-related research
2.Advocacy and Research:
- Support protection-related advocacy researches and surveys in coordination with the Protection Coordinator and the Policy team.
- Preparing protection note/ brief updates for Oxfam monthly situation reports.
- Prepare case studies.
3.Coordination and communication:
- Build and maintain good communication and close collaboration with the Oxfam program teams, local partner, and authorities, in order to contribute to a coordinated humanitarian response.
- Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection activities have the required resources at time, and complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork.
- Attend the protection, child protection and GBV sub clusters meetings.
- Participate in developing and updating relevant Information, Education and Communication tools (leaflets, brochures, posters etc.) required, with support of the Programme Manager and Protection Coordinator.
4.MEAL and reporting
- Produce regular protection updates and field visit reports
- Organize and prepare regular protection risk analysis with support from the protection coordinator
- Contribute in Sitreps, biweekly/monthly reports, donor reports and proposals.
- Participate in preparing the weekly and monthly plans
- Support and coordinate with MEAL team for baseline survey, post-distribution and other monitoring activities.
- Ensure MEAL processes are engendered and include protection to ensure learning and protection issues are captured
- Enhance that the community and beneficiaries are aware of Oxfam Feedback and complaints mechanism
5.OTHER duties and responsibilities required by the line manager
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- University degree in a relevant discipline (social science, psychology or any other relevant education profile).
- Demonstrable experience (minimum 2 years) in working with communities in humanitarian or development contexts. Specifically experience on child protection programs and activities that include (case managements/ referral, psychosocial support, child friendly safe spaces and GBV response, etc.).
- Demonstrable experience in conducting protection assessment and other assessment tools and methodologies.
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills, particularly in networking, and working with communities, local civil society, partners and local authorities.
- Good understanding and knowledge in application of do no harm, conflict sensitivity principles and ICRC standards and ethics for protection work.
- Good understanding of protection concerns, including GBV issues in displacement, human rights, and international humanitarian law
- Proven analytical skills, understanding of monitoring processes, learning, adaptation and evaluation
- Fluency levels of spoken and written in English and Arabic.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies
- Excellent computer knowledge and skills of using Microsoft word, power point and excel
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through post application: