Job Title: Accountant
Immediate Supervisor’s Title: YRCS Finance Coordinator
Technical Manager’s Title : YRCS Finance Coordinator
Number of Staff Reports : 4
Duty Station: Sana’a, Yemen (HQ)
Duration of Assignment: 1 Year
Terms of employment:: Employment is full time according to YRCS guidelines
Organizational context (where the job is located in the Organization)
Yemen Red Crescent Society HQ– duty station Sana’a, Yemen with travels as needed in the country.
The Accountant is responsible for processing, management and reporting on financial aspects of the implementation of the ICRC supported programmes implemented in the targeted governorates. Under supervision of YRCS Finance Co and guidance of ICRC Finance Responsible the Accountant is responsible mainly for preparing financial statements, maintaining cash controls, maintaining accounts payable, annual planning – and Actively promotes and contributes to the YRCS finance development in line with the ICRC Financial Framework
Job duties and responsibilities
- Manage funds in accordance with the systems established for financial managements of the Yemen Red Crescent Society and ICRCs financial system.
- Ensure that the financial management systems are updated, functional, timely, correct and strictly followed.
- Ensures the implementation of the Financial Framework Agreement between ICRC and YRCS by YRCS HQ and the branches.
- Follows up the financial & accounting files/ activities and issues (Cash Request, Financial Reports and Invoices, etc.) related to the joint ICRC-YRCS activities in YRCS HQ and branches.
- Reviews the PoA and Controls the expenses in the budget proposal submit by YRCS branches and ensure all the expenses are according to the agreed payment in the Cooperation Agreement before send it to ICRC for the approval.
- Reviews the financial settlements of YRCS HQ and branches and ensure the submission to the ICRC on time.
- Provides input proactively to YRCS Branches in order to develop/ strengthen their financial system/ performance and processes etc.
- Ensure Balance Confirmation Sheets and YRCS Bank Reconciliation Statement from the YRCS HQ and branches are provided on time.
- Reviews the balance with YRCS branch if the branch has any doubt in the balance provided in the Balance Confirmation Sheet and Reconciliation of bank account.
- Monitoring reports, implementation when it is needed and take suggestion corrective action to the concerned branches.
- Implementation of the YRCS procedures at field level.
- Coordination of the YRCS branches activities to ensure proper communication between YRCS HQ and branches management related to financial affairs.
- Financial accompaniment of events/meetings/activities within the project and participation in them if required. Coordination and control of financial activities at the YRCS branches level
- Daily management of financial issues.
- Support logistical activities according to the YRCS guidelines.
- Undertake regular visits with ICRC Finance Responsible to the project branches to monitor and support the implementation of financial systems.
- Management and supervision of payments, consultancy fees, per diems, etc.
- Check invoices, activity and account coding and correct preparation of vouchers.
- Carry out weekly and monthly cash counts together with the Cashier and YRCS Finance Coordinator with ICRC Finance Dept.
- Report promptly on any administrative or financial irregularities encountered to the YRCS Finance Coordinator with ICRC Finance Dept.
- Actively research solution when the implementation of the activities requires financial adjustments.
- Actively plan and implement a financial capacity building plan for the focal points at the programme branches.
- Supported by the YRCS Finance Coordinator, and ICRC Finance Responsible of Cooperation Dept , prepare quarterly and yearly detailed activity-based budgets corresponding to activity plans.
- Supervise monthly bank reconciliation. Ensure effective filing system and maintenance of asset and inventory lists.
- Maintain office equipment and ensure regular service checks and repairs.
- Participate in periodic reviews, audits and evaluations, when requested.
- Participate in weekly staff coordination meeting, and other relevant meetings, when required.
- aspects at all times.
Duties applicable to all staff
- Respects and acts in line with the YRCS staff regulations, and code of conduct and the Fundamental Principles and Values of Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Ensures and maintains the core competencies required to implement the tasks (a high degree of accountability, commitment to YRCS capacity building, a high level of technical capacity to ensure results and working with teams and sharing knowledge and best practices through good communication skills).
- Ensures management competencies to manage performance in a way that enables the YRCS to achieve its objectives with enhanced planning and coordination capacities.
A post graduate degree in Finance
A minimum of 3 years working experience with international accounting procedures
Extensive experience writing narrative & financial reports
Extensive experience of budget preparations, cash-flow statements & financial plans
Ability to communicate financial information to non-technical audience
Familiar with one or more accounting systems
Advanced skills in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, accounting packages and word processing)
Ability to work in a multicultural environment
Strong skills in training and developing staff
Able to present financial information clearly, orally & in writing
Advanced level of English
In good mental & physical health, high level of stress tolerance
Interested candidates should send their Cover Letter & CVs in English to both email
“Please mention the Position and Duty Station on your email Subject”