Public Health Promotion Team Leader
Job Title: Public Health Promotion Team Leader
Location: Oxfam GB- Amran & Sa’ada
Oxfam Yemen Purpose: Saving lives and building resilience, and advancing gender justice
Reporting Lines: PC/PM
Staff reporting to this post: PHP Officers and Senior PHP Officers
Budget Responsibility: To plan, monitor and forecast budgets, in agreement with WASH TL and Program manager
Salary: As per salary scale Contract Duration: 6 months Level: C2
The Job: Oxfam, an international NGO working with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering, has been working in Yemen since 1983. Oxfam announces the following vacancy for its programme
Team Purpose: To provide lifesaving WASH assistance to conflict, cholera and famine affected IDPs & host communities in Yemen in collaboration with EFSVL and gender/protection integration.
Deployment and Matrix Line Manager: PHP CB TL
Key Responsibilities: Provide leadership and support to the PHP team in a designated geographical area in implementing WASH activities for internally displaced people and host communities.
- Working as part of multi–sectoral team lead and manage the PHP component in a designated area of Oxfam’s Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH) in areas affected by conflict, provide technical support in community engagement, social mobilization, cholera preparedness and response to the team and partners in all program related fields. Build technical capacities of PHP partner organizations, to enable to deliver the WASH response independently ensuring participation and community engagement.
- To manage Public health promotion activities through planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of Oxfam WASH emergency rapid response,
- Work closely with PHEs and ensure WASH response in built on real-time needs and situation on ground, considering the evident public health risks and their impact.
Escalation of the conflict since Mar 2015 has dramatically aggravated life of millions faces risks to life and basic rights. People are increasingly exhausting coping mechanisms, as a result humanitarian crises remains extremely widespread. Yemen is now the largest humanitarian crisis in the world with 22.2m people in need, 13.2m requires lifesaving assistance. Over 16m need access to WASH services out of that 11.3m with acute WASH needs. Protracted displacement creates additional pressure on already scarce water sources and sanitation services. Collapsing urban water and sanitation systems, deteriorating water and sanitation conditions in rural areas, and lack of means to maintain personal hygiene and purchase safe drinking water all contributed to one of the worst cholera epidemics recorded in modern history. While fears third wave of cholera outbreak is in alert, recent escalation of ground conflict may create a large-scale displacement while the country at the brink of famine.
The position is field based and responsible for providing technical leadership to enhance PHP response deliverables and the confidence of the WASH team with emphasis on Public health promotion to promote safe WASH practices, quality response and active community involvement in our Humanitarian Response in Yemen. This encompasses managing PHP team (workplans, field movement, developing PHP technical manuals and strengthen community participation in WASH response via applying community engagement module) and ensure Oxfam WASH program is inclusive in nature, additionally the job encompass strong coordination with cluster and govt stakeholders at governorate level, and keeps updating Sanaa/senior management in case of rapid emergency situation.
- To have overall responsibility of guiding PHP team to manage PHP and Social mobilization activities in the Oxfam humanitarian programme in Amran and Sa’ada.
- To coordinate all PHP activities in Oxfam’s Humanitarian programs in Amran and Sa’ada.
- To ensure that PHP interventions is qualitative and laid out as per Oxfam minimum requirements of WASH
- To support rapid assessment and response to Cholera and new IDP influx
- To ensure there is regular communication between PHE and PHP teams but also Protection and EFSVL Team at field level where information can be transferred and shared between the different projects.
- Work in close collaboration with Gender, protection and MEAL teams to ensure the planning of WASH response in community driven and consider gender / protection lance while designing of response,
- Contribute to the development of new information and resources generated and input to the development of materials.
- Represent Oxfam externally, engaging with a wide range of humanitarian actors and other contexts as appropriate.
- Influence and promote PHP work by sharing information, evidence and learning to support improved programming.
- Managing weekly/monthly report writing, PHP database, case studies/ success stories,
- Identify, implement, document and disseminate innovation and programme learning – paying special attention to the new camps unique public health needs
- Influence practice within Oxfam and across the sector
- Play a key role in ensuring programme implementation reflects beneficiary feedback
- Line manage PHP Senior/officers under a workable and accountable management structure to implement PHP activities and achieve outcomes with consideration of Oxfam policy, humanitarian standards, WASH cluster guidelines and Country strategies.
- Supporting PHP Senior/officers to develop necessary materials including IEC materials relevant to new and ongoing camps context and needs
- Foster an integrative approach to programme implementation – both within Oxfam and also with other actors
- Ensure good documentation of PHP activities and supplies through coordination with relevant media and advocacy teams and establishing a good PHP understanding of documentation process of beneficiary lists.
- Also ensure that all PHP staffs are aware of and abide with key internal and external protocols and principles (e.g. Code of Conduct, People in Aid, Oxfam’s draft sexual conduct policy).
- As part of a multi-disciplinary team, ensure PHP team involved in carrying out rapid assessments of the public health risks faced by communities affected by emergencies. Make recommendations for response interventions which are consistent with Oxfam’s policies and guidelines.
- Identify and assess the current resources and capacity of national team, humanitarian agencies and government authorities to respond to the public health needs arising from the emergency. Identify any unmet needs likely to present risks to the health of the affected population.
- Lead and task manage a team of public health senior officers and promoters to implement and monitor
- appropriate health promotion interventions in emergency contexts.
- Support PHP team to implement health promotion initiatives appropriate to the context. This will involve working in close collaboration with engineering colleagues to ensure that technical and social aspects
of WASH programming are closely integrated and with EFSVL and Protection to maximize the potential for cohesive programming for protection crisis and cholera outbreak.
- Engage with women and men in the affected populations in the assessment, planning, implementation and monitoring of public health activities and play a key role in ensuring that communities are informed and consulted about Oxfam’s work and have opportunities to give their views on, and influence programme activities.
- Contribute towards planning and proposal writing in order to provide clear objectives and establish indicators for monitoring and evaluating the programme including indicators relating to participation and gender.
- Budget management, and tracking for sectoral activities
- Ensure that an empowering approach to work with communities and partners is employed and that the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work is promoted.
- Ensure that the programme is accountable to beneficiaries through promoting their participation,
- providing them with information about programme activities and ensuring that beneficiary feedback is used effectively to adapt the programme.
- Collaborate and promote integration with other sectors while ensuring Oxfam program is presented in a coherent way to emergency affected communities and stakeholders.
- Recruit and supervise public health promotion staff and volunteers. This may involve the writing of job profiles, work schedules, objective setting and appraisals.
- Build the capacity of Oxfam PHP staff, volunteers and partners through formal and informal trainings that included practical mentoring and on the job coaching. Areas of particular needs on the job supervision, team management, community participation, program planning, and hygiene promotion/outbreak prevention -cholera approaches and methodologies.
- Contribute and work closely with PHP CB TL to train PHP seniors/officers and assistants on identified capacity building areas at workplace.
Programme monitoring and reporting:
- Facilitate the network within the country program and external stakeholders on WASH/PHP response to contribute in effective monitoring by WASH program while ensuring quality and timely data collection, analysis and reporting including appropriate disseminated.
- Coordinate with agencies, relevant public service institution/authority, private sectors and the program to enhance timely qualitative WASH humanitarian response to ensure that data is made available to monitor public health disease risk trends.
- Ensure the sharing of experiences within the country and dissemination of good practice including the support to public service institutions and partners. This involves the development of case studies, the organization of learning events.
Co-ordination and Representation:
On request, represent Oxfam at WASH coordination and technical working group meetings in the designated area of operation and as delegated by WASH TL.
Skills and Competencies:
- An advanced suitable qualification in Public health, Education, social sciences, community development, environmental related discipline and at least 5 years’ experience working at national level, Experience can substitute for qualifications but not vice versa.
- Proven skills in team management and WASH response planning/implementation
- A good understanding of Public Health in emergencies
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a diverse team
- Ability to think analytically and strategically
- Assessment and planning skills
- Practical understanding of Human Resource Development, performance management, training and public health issues.
- Demonstrated understanding and skills in respect to design and implementation of Public Health Promotion programs in new and protracted emergencies
- Demonstrated experience of WASH program and integrating EFSVL, gender, protection, advocacy
- Comfortable engaging in dialogue with a wide range of people.
- Confident in representing Oxfam in field inter-agency coordination forums
- Flexibility, stamina and ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, to work unsociable hours as necessary and ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven collaborative, and self-management and people management skills, including flexibility and respect for others.
- Demonstrated experience of programme integration and commitment to humanitarian principles and action to crosscutting issues including gender, diversity, HIV and AIDS into public health promotion programme,
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies.
- To be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross, Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into water and sanitation programs.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills and the ability to influence and inspire confidence in others in diverse working environments.
- Good oral and written reporting skills.
- Good understanding of local culture and context,
- Able to adapt to changing context and re-prioritize work as appropriate in conjunction with line manager
- Ability to travel and to work in difficult circumstances. Good written and spoken English is mandatory.
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through post application: