Ended Civil Engineer (3)
Building Foundation for Development (BFD), a non-Governmental, non-Profit organization (NGO), a humanitarian based development oriented which over years extended coverage to several governorates. It is being committed to contribute in attainment of the sustainable human development goals and realization of the vision of peace and welfare through sustainable and effective development projects.
please visit www.bfdyemen.org for more information.
Job Title: Civil engineer (3)
Report to: Project Manager - PM
Location: Sana’a and most of the time in fields based on PM assignments
Contract duration: three months. Renewable
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide support and engineering expertise for the successful, timely completion, assessment and following up of works for HFs before and after the maintenance works, contribute to the implementation of WaSH activities in schools and temporary learning classes construction phases in the selected sites within the project areas. The duties are specified in particular as follow:
- Design, planning, and implementation of construction and maintenance works of water and sewage schemes and tanks in HFs and TLCS as well as other related construction work within the project.
- Develop detailed bills of quantities (BOQ) and drawings for the construction/Rehabilitation works required of HFs and TLCs schemes based on field technical surveys and tests, technical studies and program requirements.
- Work with project Health and Education officers and specialists, to draw up works tender documents and provide technical support to Bid Committees.
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin.
- Supervise the construction/rehabilitation process, ensuring that it is completed within timelines, contract schedules, specifications and according to approved BOQs.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports in progress and accordance with BFD set standards.
- Provide support and guidance to the contractors and assist in resolving site problems.
- Using performance management techniques monitor and demonstrate achievement of agreed service levels and guide necessary improvements.
- Ensure presence at the project sites to monitor progress of works, identify the existing problems and provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards.
- Prepare, check and maintain a database for the available materials shipped to the project and monitor the quality during the progress of works.
- Assess, check, and approve the contractors’ activities, check and verify the completed work.
- Define and document the construction procedures according to the specified quality assurance requirements in full consultation with the project Manager
- Identify, set the procedures, and check the contractors’ activities to ensure that the constructed works on site meet Quality Control requirements.
- Identify and control any environmental risks that can affect the site or the neighboring domestic areas around the site.
- Ensure timely coordination between Contractors and BFD.
- Check that the agreed work by project team or contractors has been completed satisfactorily and follow up on any deficiencies.
- Ensure effective implementation and compliance with security procedures, protocols, and controls to maintain the safety of the construction site' users and ensure that all project personnel are well briefed and well informed of the required procedures and protocols
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Advanced Degree from a recognized University in Civil Engineering or a relevant field. A first-level university degree with preferable additional two to three years of relevant combination of academic qualifications and extensive experience in facilities rehabilitation and maintenance works and semi-structure construction may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience in civil engineering and/ water supply and sewage systems, full rehabilitation and maintenance works of facilities and semi-structure construction design-implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of design and visualizations software such as AutoCAD and etc.
- Project management and supervision skills
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
Work Skills & Abilities
List specific skills and abilities needed for satisfactory performance in the position.
- Skilled writer and synthesizer of diverse and complex information, helping teams generate new insights into their work, the needs of their country and the region, and how program impact can be scaled.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills and ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders in a sensitive environment. She/he must be able to respond quickly to requests for information.
- Excellent data analytical skills and interpretation. S/he must have ability to write clearly and concisely, and have sound quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data).
- Proficiency with MS Office software required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Broad knowledge and understanding of adaptation to UN Sustainable Development Goals and communities’ resilience would be a plus.
- Ability to travel independently, including to rural communities and work long hours.
- Ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details.
- Demonstrated attention to activity tracking detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Sense of creativity essential.
- Talent for organizing and cataloging information essential.
- Positive attitude and ability to work well on a team is essential.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Conscientious, with an excellent sense of judgment.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- Willingness to undertake regular field visits in different conditions is required.
- Fluent English and Arabic, both spoken and written.
Interested candidates should send CVs to: email@example.com
please mention in the email subject the position and location you are applying for.