TITLE: Driver (4)
NO of Positions: 4 drivers
SANA’A - YEMEN
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
- Based in Sana’a under direct supervision of the Logistics Asst. you will be responsible for the vehicle assigned to you, ensure a good and safe transport of HI staff and equipment according to our HI security and safety measures as per the security documents. You will also ensure the follow up of periodic maintenance of the vehicle under your responsibility.
Line manager: Logistics Assistant
Line manager+1: Log Manager
PLACE: Sana’a Yemen.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
Transport people and equipment under good security conditions as per security plan and HI rules
- When driving, the driver should respect traffic laws and regulations set by the country as well as the regulations set by the organization in the security plan.
- The driver is responsible for the security of the persons and material being transported:
- He/She should wear his/her safety belt at all times and ensure all the passengers do so too before starting the car.
- Do not exceed the amount of passengers allowed for the type of vehicle.
- He/She should adapt his/her speed according to the conditions of the road, the load he/she is transporting and when approaching pedestrian on streets. As well as respect the speed limits.
- The people being transported have the right to ask the driver to slow down whenever they fear for their safety or whenever they feel that the speed is too high. Several such unexpected requests will lead to a warning for the driver. If the opposite happens, if someone asks the driver to go faster, he/she should under no circumstances grant this request.
- Always keep safe distance from the vehicles in front of you. Avoid driving behind or in between military, police or official authorities’ vehicles or convoy.
- Remember that when you are driving an HI vehicle you are identified as a member of Handicap international
- The driver should always have his/her driving license and a copy of the car documents with him/her in the car. And ensure they are valid. (driving licence, insurance paper, order mission, HI ID card, HI charter & Waiver of liability form…)
- Follow the instructions of the manufacturer and the HI rules when using the vehicle;
- Follow the logistician’s planning and instructions.
- Fill in the Log book every day according to HI procedures.
- The driver uses an HI rental car for official reasons only. The use of the car for private needs or for the transportation of persons or goods not related to the project without the authorization of the manager is forbidden in all cases.
- Respect HI security rules mentioned in the security plan
- It is strictly forbidden to transport weapons, drugs or alcohol
- When parking the vehicle make sure that the doors and windows are properly locked. It s forbidden to park even for a few moments in isolated or unmanned area. Under all circumstances ensure that the area around your vehicles is secure for you and your passengers before getting in or out of the vehicle.
- Do not leave valuable on display in the vehicles no matter moving or parked.
- Do not leave vehicle un-attendant outside HI Compound.
- Make sure to leave the keys of vehicle with logistic department at the time of finishing your duty hours in the evening.
- In case of an accident, immediately get in touch supervisor and duly inform the logistics department as well as security focal point. (Specific procedures for handling accident are detailed in the security plan.)
Ensure maintenance of the vehicle is the driver responsibility:
- Carry our daily checks according to organization procedures before starting up the engine.
- Carry out weekly checks according to list provided by logistics department.
- Plan the periodical services to return the rental car to the rental company in cooperation with his/her supervisor and participate in the mechanic works on his/her car when needed.
- Follow up with his/her supervisor for the weekly car washing including (body, interior, engine and chassis)
- Solve minor technical problems;
- In case of mechanical problems the driver must immediately notify his/her supervisor.
- The driver should check the material in the car daily (see separate sheet) if something is missing or not in working condition the supervisor needs to be notified immediately.
- Write down fuel consumption in the record book in the morning and at the end of the day as well as any information concerning the maintenance of the vehicle;
- Ensure the fuel tank is always at least half full for regular vehicles and full tank for vehicle identified as security vehicles.
- Inform the logistician assistant when service is necessary.
- For correct loading of the transported goods. The driver should load and unload his/her car personally, and make sure the cargo is well secured and strapped down during transport.
- Respect the maximum load (indicated in log book) to prevent any damage to the car.
- Always place the load as low as possible and the heaviest items in the middle.
- The load must always be correctly fastened with ropes or cables.
Prepare departures to the field:
- Inspect and prepare the vehicle the day before departure (maintenance+ hygiene)
- Prepare additional equipment to be brought along according to needs (fuel, stickers, flags, tools, medical kit).
- Know the city plan, especially HI staff houses, INGOs offices, UN offices … and relevant partners’ offices.
- Do not transport any Non-HI staff without the permission of HI Authorized person. All none HI staff needs to sign discharged of liability.
Behavior and reporting
- Behave in a respectful way at check point and/or to police officer and/or to military keeping in mind that you are representing HI.
- Report to the Log Assistant and or logistician Manager any problem encountered on the road and any security-related information the driver may have.
- If the driver:
– steals fuel or any goods,
– damages his/her car through carelessness or on purpose,
– Breach of HI security plan
– is responsible for an accident,
- Actions will be taken against him/her according to the HI regulations and legislation of the country. This could lead to dismissal.
JOB CHARACTERISTICS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Essential minimum qualifications, professional experience and required competencies:
- Completion of Primary Education or equivalent technical or commercial school.
- Minimum 2 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Driving license, knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Good knowledge of English and local language.
Desirable qualifications and competencies:
- Mechanical skills.
Note that this job description must remain flexible, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in SANA’A, with frequent movements to the field
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
Any breach of the above-mentioned responsibilities, of the Internal Regulation or of Terms and Conditions of Engagement may be sanctioned by a written warning or immediate dismissal if appropriate.
- Interested candidates may please send their CV and Cover Letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2019/PROG/Driver/SANAA+ (Applicant full name)
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019.
- Please include at least three references (stating the names of your Line Managers and an HR member for each reference – from INGOs), copies of ONLY Experience Certificates, and a copy of your national ID in your application.
- Please address all applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.