Aden - YEMEN
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organisation with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
- Under the line management of the Project Manager the Interpreter will be in charge of the translation of a diverse range of Handicap International in Yemen mission documents, and of provide straight oral translations in the frame of the projects conducted by the organization.
Line manager: HR Manager
Line manager+1: Area Manager
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
Ensure comprehensive interpreting
- Translate orally the speeches during events, training sessions, and eventually during meeting with local partners and authorities
- Provide all support needed to ease a good understanding during such session and meetings
- Work in close link with any member of the organization that need to make a presentation
- Prepare all the interventions with relevant persons that may have to make a presentation
- Ease the communication between national and international staff in case of any misunderstanding related to the language
Guarantee documentation translation
- Ensure accurate and timely translation of incoming and outgoing official letters for all departments as required
- Ensures accurate and timely translation of incoming and outgoing reports, news releases, operational updates, interviews, speeches, speaking notes, training session program, and other documents
- Summarize documents – be they reports, news articles or other material – and provide a written summary when required
- Translate discussions / meetings as requested Ensure neutrality and accuracy when translating.
Foster a professional team work environment by respecting the deadlines, keep a good communication and provide regular feedback
- Report and clarify any work-related issues and challenges to supervisor in timely manner
- Respect time including to work, meetings, deadlines and other reasonable requests from direct supervisor or Project Manager
- Maintain a good team spirit amongst staff and colleagues
- Commit to honest, quality work in the field
- Carry out any other tasks as reasonably assigned by management team
Note that this job description must remain flexible, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
Information being accessed by the Interpreter due to his/her position within the organization is strictly confidential. Any breach of confidentiality will be considered a gross misconduct.
- Professional skills, university education, preferably with a certified translation degree (including interpretation and proofreading).
- knowledge of medical terminology would be an asset
- Minimum two years of interpreting experience, preferably with a humanitarian organization
- Adequate Microsoft Office knowledge including Excel and Power Point
- Arabic : Excellent written and spoken
- English : Excellent written and spoken
- French would be an asset
Willingness and ability
- Travel in and around Aden and other governorates on occasion, stay overnight outside of Aden City (where operations are presently based) as field movement requires
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Aden, with frequent movements to the field
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
Any breach of the above-mentioned responsibilities, of the Internal Regulation or of Terms and Conditions of Engagement may be sanctioned by a written warning or immediate dismissal if appropriate.
- Interested candidates may please send their CV and Cover Letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2019/PROG/Inter/Aden+ Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on Friday, May 24th, 2019.
- Please include at least three references (stating the names of your Line Managers and an HR member for each reference – from INGOs), copies of ONLY Experience Certificates, and a copy of your national ID in your application.
- Please address all applications to: email@example.com
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.