Ended WASH & Shelter Project Manager
1) Job Title: WASH & Shelter Project Manager
2) Band: G
3) Duty station: Hajja
- Under the supervision of the Area Manager, the WASH & Shelter Project Manager (PM) is responsible for planning, assessments, implementation, monitoring and reporting of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Shelter activities and projects in the assigned areas. The PM will be responsible for multiple projects implemented with funding from multiple donors. Some of DRC’s WASH & Shelter activities are integrated and aligned with CCCM, with some stand-alone WASH activities as well. This balance varies in relation to projects.
- In close coordination with the DRC WASH & Shelter Coordinator, WASH Specialist and Area Manager, plan, strategize and undertake WASH & Shelter activities in emergency and longer term activities. PM contributes to the harmonization of WASH & Shelter tools and guidelines across the country and to the development of DRC’s WASH & Shelter strategy for Yemen.
- Liaise with, and attend regional WASH & Shelter clusters in connection with the WASH & Shelter Coordinator/Specialist and WASH & Shelter PMs in other field offices.
- The PM contributes to the fulfilment of the aims and objectives of DRC’s presence in Yemen.
4) Reporting lines
- Reports to: Area Manager
For technical WASH & Shelter issues, the PM reports to the DRC Yemen WASH & Shelter Coordinator/Specialists.
- Subordinates: WASH & Shelter project staff in the PM’s area of operations.
Other staff, as defined by specific project requirements including Team Leader, Officer, Assistant, Field Supervisor and volunteers.
- 5) Responsibilities
- Ensure timely and technically sound planning, implementation and monitoring of WASH & Shelter activities/projects, including budget responsibility, in the assigned area;
- Implement 1st phase emergency full WASH response activities alongside 1st phase emergency Shelter interventions to provide immediate needs for displaced persons;
- Identify, assess and plan the rehabilitation of water network infrastructure and water treatment plants through management of WASH technical teams;
- Identify, assess and plan the rehabilitation of Shelter and civil infrastructure through the management of technical teams;
- Liaise with relevant local and regional government agencies to ensure the need, design and appropriateness of the intervention has the buy-in of local technical authorities, including government water resources departments to ensure longevity in design and planning of 2nd/3rd phase interventions;
- Manage contractors through design and implementation phase, adhering to DRC supply chain processes
- Ensure provision of complementary WASH services (hygiene promotion, solid waste, desludging, water trucking) to different contexts and settlements receiving support from DRC CCCM and Shelter programs;
- Prepare and maintain up to date work plans and expenditures plans, in line with project and budget documents;
- Prepare regular and timely updates and reports for Area Manager and other colleagues as needed including grant reporting submissions Weekly updates to be provided to Area Manager and Coordinator;
- Under the supervision of the WASH & Shelter Coordinator, in line with other PMs, recruit, provide supervision and coaching/on the job training of the WASH project staff (and other staff as appropriate), and undertake performance appraisals when appropriate;
- Undertake regular field/onsite visits to ensure technical support to WASH & Shelter staff and proper monitoring of the activities’ implementation in the areas of operation;
- Ensure that project activities develop and are implemented in line with DRC’s mandate, policies, procedures and country strategy, as well as with donors’ requirements and national and international rules and guidelines;
- Contribute to the development of proposals to secure follow on or expansion funding for the WASH & Shelter portfolio as per identified needs;
- Advocate and support relevant government bodies to encourage monitoring and planning in sustainable use of water resources in areas of intervention;
- Contribute to refining of data collection, monitoring and reporting tools, and to the harmonization of WASH, and Shelter methodologies and tools across the country and/or region;
- Ensure Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach to WASH & Shelter is consistently applied through community and rights based participatory methods;
- Ensure the respect of DRC Code of Conduct, the confidentiality and humanitarian principles and contribute to the integration and mainstreaming of AGD into DRC Wash programming, as for other programming sectors;
- Engage with relevant national and international actors and actively participate in relevant clusters, sectors and working groups and other meetings in the PM’s areas of operations for the purposes of coordination, fundraising, etc;
- Any other duties as directed by the Area Manager.
6) Essential Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or higher education relevant to the technical work of WASH and/or Shelter programming (e.g. engineering (civil, electrical, mechanical or chemical), public health, water resource management).
- Professional experience in WASH & Shelter strategies, policies and implementation modalities and construction contracting / supervision.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity
- Ability to live and work in a security constrained environment
- Proven experience of at least 5 years in the implementation and management of WASH & Shelter programming, preferably in an emergency or early recovery setting
- Proven experience of contractor and quality management
- Experience in international humanitarian work and refugee and/or IDP complex emergencies
- Experience with managing large and multifaceted teams and providing technical guidance and training
7) Languages: Fluency in written and spoken Fluent in both English and Arabic
Qualified candidates are invited to apply through the below link no later than 3rd June 2019. Due to the urgency of this hiring, interviews will be on a rolling basis and a candidate might be selected even before the closing date.