Coordination and Community Liaison Assistant
Mission and objectives
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
UN-Habitat established presence in Yemen in 2018. Since then, UN-Habitat has supported the local authroities and people of Yemen to develop Rapid City and Neighbourhood Profiling for 8 cities (Sana, Aden, Taiz, Sada’a, Ma’arib, Al-Huta, Marib and Zinzibar). The city profiling reflects on the context of Yemen that is suffering from protracted armed conflict since 2015. It includes an analysis on the damage assessment and effect of war on the political, social and economic conditions. The profiling feeds into the national and city recovery plan.
UN-Habitat Yemen is also focusing on helping the most vulnerable, most affected population in a number of cities to rehabilitate damaged housing and community infrastructure facilities and systems; starting with Al-Hudaydah and expanding to other most affected cities, with the aim to provide safe, adequate and dignified living conditions. Given the huge influx of IDPs to urban settings looking for safe heaven, they usually lose their Housing, Land and Property documentations, hence UN-Habitat and GLTN is working jointly with UNCHR, and UN Women to start an initiative to increase Access for Women to HLP rights.
Within the component to support HLP rights in Yemen, the project will:
(a) Document and address HLP rights abuse and violations of the vulnerable community members and improve land tenure security of vulnerable communities particularly those of women-headed households, in Aden, Al-Hudaydah, and Al-Hawta cities.
(b) Enhance capacity of the national and local government as well as vulnerable community members and the civil society organizations (land management and legal assistance) in protecting and promoting HLP rights in Yemen.
In respect of local cultural norms and sensitivities, the program will specifically aim at targeting female-headed households, internally displaced persons (IDPs), returnees, and victims of conflicts.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Head of Country Programme of Yemen or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer-Field Coordination and Community Liaison Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Assist the field team to establish community-based committees ;
- In consultation with the UN-Habitat team, coordinate and meet with community leaders and members and convene meetings in the selected areas to promote HLP rights of vulnerable communities and women, and support the overall scope of the project.
- Assist the field team to Initiate community outreach activities and lead establishment of a Community Committees in the selected areas to formulate action plan for HLP activities.
Assist the project team to deliver advocacy campaigns on issues related to the protection of land rights of vulnerable communities, women and marginalized groups in Yemen;
- Assist Community and Coordination Liaison Assistant to develop and deliver presentations and advocacy materials on HLP in community, particularly with women;
- Conduct HLP information campaign in the field;
- Support planning, organizing and delivery of awareness-raising sessions;
Liaise with local authorities to facilitate activities in the field;
- Collect and verify ownership documentation from homeowners.
- Coordinate and harmonize program activities with local counterparts.
- Inform counterparts, community leaders and members, and relevant actors on program activities.
- Facilitate the team’s regular visits to the field and assist the team to conduct assessments relating to all project components.
- Facilitate the identification of priorities related to HLP rights for the community and women HLP rights.
- Assist the team and partners to conduct activities to identify problems and needs related to all project components.
- Help to liaise and coordinate activities with relevant agencies and institutional counterparts were necessary and ensuring follow-up actions.
- Perform other duties as required.
Age: 27 80
Nationality: Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in
- In coordination, facilitation and advocacy;
- Experience in assisting to establish inter-relationships with counterparts and communities is required;
- Experience in coordination and facilitation with counterparts is required, stakeholders and local community leaders is an advantage;
- Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills is desirable;
- Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
- Flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
- Good command (written and spoken) of English and Arabic is required.
Area(s) of expertise" Administration
- English, Level: Fluent, Desirable
- Arabic, Level: Working knowledge, Desirable
Required education level
- Secondary education
Competencies and values
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Building Trust
- Commitment to Continuous
- Learning Creativity
- Ethics and Values
- Planning and Organizing
- Respect for Diversity
- Self-Management Vision
- Working in Teams
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل