Communications Officer This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Location: Aden, Yemen
Reporting to: Chief of Party, Yemen
Role type: Full time, fixed-term contract until October 2024
Closing date: 23rd November 2023
Who are we?
ARK is a social enterprise, empowering local communities through the provision of agile and sustainable interventions to create greater stability, opportunity, and hope for the future. We believe that strong, resilient communities are the foundation of local, national, regional, and international development and stability – and ultimately a safer, peaceful, and more prosperous world. At ARK, we have delivered research and programmatic interventions validating this approach in over twenty countries since 2008. As a social enterprise, we work in partnership with communities, our donors, and other implementers to build local capacities, generate opportunity, and bring about sustainable change. Learn more about our impact here: ARK Impact
About the role
We are seeking a skilled Communications Officer to join our team in Aden, playing a key role in visually communicating the transformative impact of ARK’s USAID-funded programs in Yemen.
ARK Group has been working in Yemen for over a decade and is now looking for a competent, compassionate, and capable communications professional to help ensure the impact of our programs is effectively transmitted to a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
ARK is currently managing two USAID programs in Yemen. "Building Peace in Yemen" nurtures trust, empathy, and climate resilience in rural areas, mitigating conflicts. "Yemen Community Resilience" reinforces community unity and child protection, with a focus on partnership with women-led organizations.
As Communications Officer, you will manage program communication products, in particular photography and videography. Your mission is to craft compelling visual narratives that illustrate the program’s successes. You'll use your strong understanding of the development sector and excellent communication skills to connect external audiences to ARK's impactful work in the region.
What you'll be doing
- Develop and regularly update a work plan for communication activities, including a calendar of program events and the required communication support.
- Collect information from Program team members and grantees, including field visits, to develop human interest stories from the field, success stories, and case studies, including appropriate photographs to share with USAID.
- Manage a network of photographers and videographers, including briefing them on requirements for program events coverage.
- Edit and manage photography and videography products to ensure they align with USAID requirements.
- Maintain a database of program videos and photographs in Microsoft SharePoint.
- Support and coordinate the communication and branding of various program events, including workshops, press conferences, and other activities, ensuring their successful implementation.
- Provide guidance to project teams on different donor visibility requirements ensuring compliance, and oversee the procurement of public communication materials.
- Collaborate with the implementation team to regularly produce and distribute program status materials like leaflets and brochures, showcasing the project's achievements and status for diverse audiences.
- Contribute to the donor's quarterly reports with success stories and documentation of implementation, aligning with USAID information requirements.
- Train all staff members, partners, grantees, collaborators, and subcontractors in the appropriate use of the branding and marking requirements authorized by USAID.
- Undertake other special projects and tasks in support of the Program as assigned by the Head of Communications and COP.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations, with extensive experience in the field of journalism, communications, external relations, public affairs, public relations, or corporate communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including fluency in English and Arabic, both written and spoken.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Professional experience in the media environment in Yemen, with experience of drafting materials for traditional and digital media.
- Experience managing a network of creative professionals, with the ability to deliver clear briefs.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Understanding of the development sector and international development issues.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience in producing and editing photography/videography.
- Knowledge of USAID’s communication protocols and branding/marking.
- Fieldwork experience and background/familiarity with emergency situations is an asset.
Benefits Why join ARK?
- Impactful Work: Your expertise will directly impact the lives of those in need.
- Global Reach: Collaborate with international experts and local stakeholders.
- Innovation: Engage in pioneering solutions for sustainable change.
- Career Growth: Expand your horizons with varied projects and challenges.
Our team covers a diverse range of professional backgrounds, from diplomacy, humanitarian, development, and the military, to the UN, civil society groups, multilateral organizations, journalism, and the private sector.
An ARK Person Is:
- Smart: We think deeply about things. We’re proud of our institutional knowledge and our grounding in rigorous research, which we use to make informed decisions.
- Humble: Our work leaves little room for pride or arrogance. Our operating environment is constantly evolving, and we recognize our limitations. We believe in and rely on the education and experiences of others while remaining quick to read, invite feedback, and ask sensible questions.
- Accountable: Each of us wants ARK, its partners, and beneficiaries to succeed. This means taking initiative, assuming ownership when necessary, and never giving up on our beneficiaries. We are committed and accountable, to both our donors and the communities we serve.
- Collegiate: We know we are stronger together and that every contribution counts. We trust each other and always support each other.
- Outspoken: We tackle diverse challenges and we always want to find the best solution to a problem. We aren’t afraid to share our opinions, and we want to hear those of others too.
ARK Group is an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. ARK Group does not discriminate on the basis of ability, age, gender identity or expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation. We welcome all kinds of diversity. ARK Group places human dignity at the center of its development and stabilization work and is this committed to the protection from sexual exploitation and abuse of children and adults. All ARK Group employees and related personnel are expected to share this commitment, and only those who also uphold these values will be recruited as part of our team. This vacancy is therefore subject to a range of due diligence checks.
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل