Gender Equality and Safeguarding Manager This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Job Title: Gender Equality and Safeguarding Manager
Band / Level / Grade: 7B
Department: Gender Equality and Safeguarding Department
Location: Aden, Yemen
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. The IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education and power.
The IRC has a focus on narrowing the gender gap in humanitarian aid and ensuring that we contribute to the equality of women and girls in both our programs and operations by working to establish a context where men, women, boys, and girls enjoy the same rights and opportunities as well as an equal access to services. The IRC also has a strong commitment to creating a culture of safeguarding in our workplace and in our programs. We are determined to protect our clients and staff from safeguarding violations through prevention and, where misconduct is alleged, to address it without fear or favor.
The Gender Equality and Safeguarding Manager (GES Manager) will be responsible for guiding the Yemen Country Office in applying principles of gender equality in all operational policies and practices, and will help country staff to set and achieve meaningful and targeted goals for more gender equitable internal practices. S/he will also be responsible for implementation of IRC’s safeguarding strategy and activities across the country program.
- Lead and monitor the implementation of IRC Gender Equality and Safeguarding strategies for the country program and its partners after establishing strong working relation with IRC’s regional office safeguarding and Gender Equality Technical Units and IRC Yemen country leadership.
- Work with the country leadership to develop Gender (including Women@Work) and Safeguarding Action Plans, including developing and adapting proven and innovative approaches for promoting and building an inclusive and equal office culture and environment.
- Oversee implementation of the Gender and Safeguarding Action Plans and ensure that planned activities are delivered on time and within scope and meet technical standards.
- In collaboration with key country and human resources staff, review, modify, design and support implementation of key processes, practices and tools to help guide more gender equitable HR policies and practices.
- Provide orientation and on-job training to IRC staff on gender mainstreaming, gender core concepts, and safeguarding. Support contextual adaptation, design and roll-out of information, education, and communication (IEC) materials on gender and safeguarding for the country program, including delivery of trainings on different aspects.
- Liaise with the country safety and security focal point to work for more gender inclusive country risk analysis and safety trainings to allow for improved recognition of women-specific security concerns.
- Work with program leads to build their understanding and ability to apply sector specific approaches to deliver more gender equitable and safe programming by conducting gender analysis of program activities.
- Support efforts to build capacity of implementing partners to deliver gender equitable and safe programs. As requested, provide technical support and guidance to partners, in accordance with partnership agreements and in coordination with the Partnerships department. Adapt and facilitate trainings for partners on Gender Equality and Safeguarding.
- Monitor program implementation through field visits, focus group discussions and key informant interviews with staff and beneficiaries. Produce reports to demonstrate impact, progress against action plans and inform ongoing and future program design.
- Coordinate efforts of Gender Equality Champions based in the country and field offices, convene regular meetings, input into annual GE operational action plan, and track activities.
- Support Women@Work Groups by providing technical guidance, facilitating scheduling meetings, documenting meeting outcomes and communicating them to IRC Yemen leadership.
- Review and support enhancement of country program and partner complaints response mechanisms for clients.
- Ensure representation in country forums, conferences and clusters focusing on gender and safeguarding. Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders - including community leaders, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, community-based organisations and other IRC sectors to enhance multi-agency and multi-sectoral cooperation and coordination.
- Provide inputs for proposals and reports and plan and manage GES budget and spending.
- Support relevant departments with conducting robust initial and post investigations of all safeguarding concerns raised by staff, clients, beneficiaries, and/or external parties.
- Recruit, train, orient and manage GES staff, as required.
- Ensure staff Performance appraisal documentation is in place and followed up regularly.
- Recommend and implement a capacity building plan for relevant staff.
Required qualification and skill:
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, law, psychology, health, social work, humanities or other related discipline.
- 4 years professional experience in gender programs and/or Protection and/or Safeguarding and/or HR.
- Background or extensive understanding of humanitarian aid sector. Familiarity with the Gender Equality and safeguarding standards and principles, international protection frameworks and mechanisms on safeguarding.
- At least one year experience of supervising a team providing direct services to survivors of violence and/or working at the community level.
- Demonstrated experience/understanding of organizational and/or HR policies and practices.
- Strong analytical skills related to feedback mechanisms, safeguarding, protection and similar matters.
- Good communication and report writing skills essential, both in Arabic and English.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating trainings and workshops. Good team building skills and knowledge of participatory approaches.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop positive relationships with local and remote team members at multiple levels in the organization. Experience in working collaboratively and/or advocating with other sectors and teams.
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive situations diplomatically and in a confidential manner.
- Ability to travel to other IRC field sites and province field project sites to promote safeguarding awareness through trainings and orientations.
- Computer skills are required – MS Office package and Internet.
- Self-motivated, highly responsible, punctual, flexible, and culturally sensitive. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Key Working Relationships:
- Direct Reporting: SR. HR Coordinator
- Partnership and Consultation: Safety and Security Focal Point, Sectoral and other Technical Coordinators
- External: IRC Organizational Partners, and Protection Cluster Groups
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل