Protection Officer This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Position: Protection Officer
Reporting to: Medical Coordinator – Sana’a
For our program in Yemen, we are looking for (Protection Officer), based in Sana’a, to start as soon as possible.
Under the direct supervision of the Medical Coordinator and in very close coordination with the medical team, the Protection Officer will be responsible of accompanying the smooth implementation of quality women protection response and prevention activities, in line with MdM’s strategy. S/he will coordinate the implementation of protection program activities, in close collaboration with the medical team. S/he will provide technical support to the service providers, partners and community stakeholders involved in the provision of services to survivors and/or in prevention activities.
Roles and tasks
A. Supervision of Protection activities (prevention and response)
- Analyze the intervention context in relation to violence against women (including gaps and needs among the humanitarian response) and develop a strong network in order to strengthen information sharing, synergies and coordination of the response;
- Support the Deputy MedCo in defining and adapting the strategy for MdM’s prevention and response to violence against women in Yemen, Monitor the provision of medical and psychosocial care the survivors within the supported health facilities of the project, in close collaboration with medical and MHPSS supervisors;
- Contribute to ensure the quality of protection activities by providing technical advice and recommendations to service providers (e.g. nurses, midwives, doctors, psychosocial counsellors, social workers…) for the management of complex cases and/or to improve the quality of services offered to survivors, in line with international and national guidelines and MdM's strategy;
- Facilitate the development of Standard Operating Procedures, tools for data collection, management and analysis, supervision tools and technical guidance on protection for the mission in Yemen;
- Support the service providers in implementing the SOPs and referral pathways, and in following-up cases from their identification to their full recovery;
- Contribute to the regular update of the mapping of actors and services responding to violence against women and the development and updating of safe and viable referral pathways for survivors;
- Ensure respect of strict confidentiality regarding protection program information management
B. Capacity building and training
- In close collaboration with the medical and MHPSS supervisors, identify the capacity building needs of frontline service providers, clinics teams and community outreach teams on violence prevention and response;
- In close collaboration with the community mobilization team / IEC team, and based on the context analysis, identify the capacity building and sensitization needs of community stakeholders on violence prevention and response;
- Share the identified needs with the Deputy Medical Coordinator to integrate them into the capacity building plans;
- In compliance with the capacity building priorities of the program, conduct trainings on various aspects of violence against women such as survivor centred approach and informed consent to service providers from MdM and partners and to community stakeholders involved in the program;
C. Communication and advocacy
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy and communication activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM's approach, results and lessons learnt from the programme in order to foster information sharing and mutual learning at the national level.
D. Reporting, information management and internal coordination
- Share to the Deputy MedCo any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments;
- Participate to internal MdM meetings;
- Participate to the protection sub sector meetings and actively contribute to coordination efforts;
- If needed, participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in women protection.
- Contribute to MdM monthly report and sitrep;
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors
- Ensure that monitoring and analysis tools are properly understood and used to facilitate regular monitoring of activities;
NB. The list of missions is non-exhaustive and may be modified according to changes and specific needs.
- Education: A degree or diploma in social sciences, medical sciences or any relevant field combined with Training in protection or gender studies is a must
- Demonstrated professional experience of minimum 3 years in social work and/or humanitarian work related to prevention and response, women’s empowerment and/or protection; an experience in an international NGO is an asset;
- Knowledge, skills, and experience (minimum 2 years) in providing/leading services to survivors of violence using a survivor-centered and multi-sectoral approach.
- Experience in child protection is a strong asset
- Experience in community awareness on violence
- Excellent knowledge of international standards and guidelines on prevention and response to violence against women in humanitarian contexts and ability to implement a response in accordance with the guidelines;
- Significant experience leading trainings, coaching, capacity building and mentoring of professionals or local partners.
- Languages: Arabic, English
- Good computer skills: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Personal skills required:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well.
- Demonstrate leadership, ownership and initiative.
- Committed to gender equality, protection, safeguarding and PSEA
- Be committed to MdM’s values as an organization and motivated by its non-statutory, not For Profit model
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence (e.g. empathy, active listening, promoting respectful communication).
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل