Protection Team Leader – Mixed Migration (Re-advertised)
Protection Team Leader – Mixed Migration(re-advertised)
Duty Station [Aden with frequent visits to Kharaz-Bab Almandab - Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
Under the supervision of the Community Services Manager, the Mixed Migration (MM) Team Leader will ensure the effective and implementation of DRC’s services in the assigned area of operation. This includes the implementation Mixed Migration activities along the coastal road of Lahaj governorate.
Main responsibilities :
- Ensure timely and technically sound planning, implementation and follow-up of the mixed migration project activities.
- Work with the Mixed Migration (MM) projects’ staff in the south of Yemen and develop detailed implementation plans and procurement plans as per the project proposals and logical frameworks.
- Develop and submit regular monthly and weekly work plans for the team as per the main project implementation plan.
- Track the implementation progress against the project implementation plan and submit regular monthly updates to supervisor along with the action plan/catch-up plan in case of delays in implementation.
- Supervise MM project staff in the south and provide technical support and guidance to them to build their capacities.
- Work with the Protection Manager and ensure that there is a coherence and convergence of project activities and outputs of the MM projects, in particular, carrying out the protection monitoring patrols along target locations. This should include drafting and sharing analytical reports on newly emerging migration trends as related to arrivals to Yemen, migrants in Yemen and those transitioning through Yemen whilst identifying gaps in protection and humanitarian responses and recommending possible programmatic responses.
- Identify the training and capacity building needs of the mixed migration staff, work with the Protection Manager and Area Manager to support building the capacities of the staff in a manner that allows them to develop an understanding of protection goals and context analysis.
- Ensure accuracy and high quality of the project data collected (e.g. protection monitoring, migrants profiling forms, etc.) and provide immediate and timely feedback in case of any inconsistency in the data/forms, inaccurate data, wrong use of the forms/tools, missing/incomplete data, etc. to the staff along with clear guidance and instructions.
- Carry out effective regular supervision and monitoring visits to the Mixed Migration projects field locations to ensure implementation of the project activities as per the standards and indicators developed as part of the Mixed Migration Program M&E plan.
- Provide technical support to the field staff and submit regular field visit reports to supervisor.
- Prepare and submit timely, complete, and accurate qualitative and analytical project reports as required. Ensure accurate weekly and monthly narratives and data reports on the risks faced by refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in the south, as per agreed reporting template.
- Ensure the Mixed Migration database is accurate, updated, secured and maintained properly.
- Update and submit the project Indicators Performance Tracking Tool (IPTT) for south on a monthly basis to the M&E department.
- Represent DRC in the protection-related clusters/working groups and other relevant meetings in the south of Yemen.
- Liaise with the government counterparts to strengthen partnerships.
- Mixed Migration south projects’ budget management responsibility, preparing spending plans, tracking expenditures, reviewing Budget vs Actuals reports to avoid any miscoding, mischarging, under spending and overspending.
- Any other relevant assignments given by line manager.
To be successful in this role you must have:
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least two years of work experience and one year in managing protection work in a complex, refugee/migrant/asylum seeker humanitarian context.
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams and providing technical guidance and training.
- Significant knowledge of project and staff management and program development, particularly in protection for migrants/refugees/asylum seekers
- Knowledge and understanding of Human Rights Law, including International Refugee Law
- Experience carrying out interviews and focus group discussions, analysing information provided and writing reports
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, experience in building good relations with local communities as well as individuals of diverse cultures and backgrounds
- High level of initiative and ability to work independently and under pressure
- Excellent English language (written and spoken)
- Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others
- Excellent computer skills including working with and producing reports from (online database, excel and other data entry programs)
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly within Yemen
- Excellent organizational skills
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- At least 2 years of direct experience in mixed migration or protection
- Solid planning, budgeting, M&E and computer skills.
- Experience in managing teams in field locations
- Excellent social/diplomacy skills
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance.
INGO experience preferred.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent English language (written and spoken)
- Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others.
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- DRC different sectors;
- MM working group and its partners;
Local authorities and community leaders
The proposed employment conditions are based on DRC policy and Yemeni labour law. The selected candidate shall perform his/her duties in compliance with the DRC Code of Conduct and procedures at all times.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract ends on 28 Feb 2022 , renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work as soon as possible and be willing and able to work in Aden with frequent visits to Kharaz-Bab Almandab.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (G -Manager).
How to Apply
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 25 Sep 2021.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل