Health and Nutrition Officer
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Safeguarding at Mercy Corps is committed to the community members we work with and the beneficiaries we serve. As part of this commitment, Mercy Corps has zero tolerance for violations of our Code of Conduct (Sexual Abuse of Beneficiaries and Community Members (PSEA), Anti-Trafficking Policy, Child Safeguarding Policy, Mercy Corps Ethics Complaint and Whistleblower Policy, Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, Discrimination, Harassment and Bullying Policy, and Anti-Fraud and Corruption).
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Health and Nutrition Officer
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duty Station: Aden –Yemen
Position Category: Full-time AND Regular
Duration of Assignment: 31-Oct-2022, with possibility of extension based on fund and performance
Political instability, civil insecurity, an intensified war, and localized conflicts have plunged the country into a serious humanitarian crisis and put into further jeopardy an already precarious humanitarian situation of Yemen. Through the Time Appeal program, Mercy Corps has been providing improved access to life-saving nutrition services for acutely malnourished under 5-year child and pregnant and lactating women in Yemen. This program will be focus on Nutrition and WASH intervention in Aden only, where there are high compounding needs and limited number of humanitarian actors.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Reporting to the Health and Nutrition Coordinator, the Health and Nutrition Officer will take the lead in guiding the overall design and setting-up of systems for the implementation of health and nutrition technical approaches of the program. The role will facilitate the capacity building of the nutrition team to ensure implementation of the program is in-line with Mercy Corps and sector standards. The role will ensure the program and Mercy Corps is actively engaged and represented in all nutrition related interagency processes including cluster and working groups. This position is based in Aden but will be having roving responsibilities that will require occasional travel, up-to 80%, in program areas within the Aden.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participate in program and sector planning processes to support the Health and Nutrition team to develop work plans, budget forecasts, and monitoring tools in line with Mercy Corps’ Program Management Standards (PM@MC policy and processes).
- Provide technical guidance and support on the startup, implementation, monitoring and reporting of Health and Nutrition activities.
- Develop and facilitate team access to tools for use in beneficiary selection processes, screening and management of cases, training, and monitoring.
- Coordinate the required internal and external support to ensure implementation of sector activities is in-line with agreed work plans, strategies, and methodologies.
- Support the Health and Nutrition team in preparation and conducting orientation meetings at Governorate, District, and village level to ensure good understanding of the sector component of the program.
- Regularly supervise the implementation of Health and Nutrition activities to ensure adherence to best practice and sector guidance
- Facilitate training of program team, including Health Officials and community health volunteers on Health and Nutrition technical approaches and practices to ensure quality implementation.
- Conduct regular field visits to assess quality of services and design measures to address performance at Health Facilities, Mobile clinics, and community sites.
- Lead in negotiations with the Governorate and District and Health Facility officials to ensure an efficient responsive and accessible support system for implementing health and nutrition activities.
- Submit weekly cash projection inputs to the H&N Coordinator – Health and Nutrition.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Keep his/her supervisor and Security Focal Point updated regarding the security situation, and any security incidents, in the project implementation area.
- Maintain the highest standards of behavior when working with the project beneficiaries.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Health and Nutrition Assistant
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO
Health and Nutrition Coordinator
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH
- Other Program Teams, MEL, Operations, Finance,
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A College or University nursing or health degree qualification is a must have.
- At least 2 years work experience implementing health/nutrition sector interventions (e.g. (management of malnutrition cases, TSFP, OTP) including providing technical assistance to other in emergency/early recovery and conflict contexts.
- Good knowledge of local health institutions and Health and Nutrition sector structures and standards.
- Solid experience in design and implementation of Health and Nutrition assessments, targeting and monitoring.
- Experience with representation in interagency processes and with government structures.
- Good facilitation and training experience.
- Effective multi-tasking, organizational capacity and prioritization skills are necessary.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English.
- Good data management skills (collection & analysis).
- Report writing skills.
- Intermediate computer literacy.
- Strong organizational & interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment and commitment to adhere to MC policies.
Ability to interact effectively with national and international stakeholders, and a demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information to support adaptation of program activities. Demonstrated high professional work ethic and willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies. Strong commitment to teamwork and accountability. Willing to travel to project sites in rural locations on a regular basis. Attention to detail and ability to work independently.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination based on race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we meet through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues. Must be willing to travel throughout the country and be available for emergencies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Participants
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our participants and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participant communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects
How to Apply
Please if you are interested; use the following link to apply for the position and follow the below instructions carefully:
Please, follow the proper way of application, the application should be in English, fill all the information required, upload CV and certificates. No application will take in consideration without following above in application instructions.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل